• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poll: Where Will/Would Alex Smith go if he becomes a free agent?

Where Will/Would Alex Smith go if he becomes a free agent?

• Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • New York Jets

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Oakland Raiders

• Minnesota Vikings

• Buffalo Bills

• Tennessee Titans

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This poll is based upon a hypothetical where Alex Smith is released and does not resign here. Otherwise, if traded, I'd just say to the highest bidder, if any, especially out of conference/division.

If you think he's going to go somewhere else as a backup or stay here, then hypothetically guess where he'd stay if he left to one of these teams. Assume he's released and a FA (so no restrictions on division or conference).

Where do you think Alex Smith would or should choose to go if he becomes a free agent? Obviously, for his interests, not ours. Also, not asking whether he'll succeed or not.

Some suggested factors (in no particular order):

1. Coaching Staff
2. Defense
3. Running Team
4. Starting Opportunity (the reason I didn't add more teams to the options)
4. Family
5. Franchise Stability/History/Fan Base

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Options (in no particular order):

Kansas City - Andy Reid has been great for QBs in his system, not so much for those leaving his system. For those who believe that Alex is nobody without Harbaugh, maybe Reid's system can artificially help him? They have the first pick in the draft, but the QB talent in this draft is low, certainly not First Overall projected. Trading down may be an option for them, so QB is still an option. Kansas City had 5 Pro Bowl players that possibly were held back by QBs who turned the ball over. Some of Smith's ball protection is Harbaugh, but he started protecting the ball after the Singletary Exchange against the Eagles and has learned some since. Not sure of their defense, but think offense was the problem, particularly turnovers.

Arizona - They do not have a QB who is staying to start. Andy Reid would have helped Kolb but now he's in KC. Kolb could take a paycut like Alex did and this last year was his best statistically in Arizona. All of their first 4 wins were with him, I think. They had a good defense and now have a good coach based upon last year's information.

Cleveland Browns - Norv Turner is now OC there and Horton as DC, may be good if he's responsible for the Cardinals' defense. Cleveland has Weeden and is in a tough division and has no recent history of success. The Browns most recently wouldn’t commit to Weeden. Talent there is ok, not great.

Jacksonville - Now that Tebow is reportedly NOT going there, this option opens up. This is reduced now since Roman is no longer going there. Roman could give their GM and HC a good word on Smith, since he was college roommates with the GM. The Niners play the Jaguars in London next season. They have a good running team if MJD stays healthy and on the team.

Philadelphia - Now that they have Kelly, this is much more unlikely when Roman was still reported as a favorite weeks ago. Not sure how Shurmur affects this. But this team perhaps has the most talent of all the available teams, just underachieved and turnover-prone. Not sure about their defense, but think it may be average to slightly above - the turnovers leaving short fields hurt the numbers a bit. Philadelphia is tough on QBs, but Alex is tough when it comes to fans criticisms. However, Philadelphia is bigger and so our criticism pales in comparison. Alex could be up for the challenge.

NY Jets - On paper, the Jets defense is better than average based upon Ryan's reputation as a defensive mind (not HC). Their new OC, Marty Mornhinweg, has a good reputation under Andy Reid. It is a circus there and Alex might not be good for that, but their team has talent that has underachieved and it seems that a QB who protects the ball could go a long way to maximizing their talent or minimalizing self-destruction.

Oakland - Alex does have family here, Palmer is on the way out. Their backup is questioned a lot. I may be wrong, but that's on and off the field?
Minnesota - I think they stay with Ponder as they say. He's still learning. But Minnesota did have a great running team and less passing than we did. I think Alex as he is now is an upgrade to Ponder, but I don't know how much Ponder would improve. I traditionally don't like replacing playoff QBs, so that's a factor.

Buffalo - They have a big contract for Fitzpatrick, but I have read Buffalo fans say they want Alex Smith. Go figure? They seem similar, but Alex protects the ball better, Fitz takes more risks. Sound familiar? But Fitz is no Kaep.

Tennessee - I think Locker's the guy for now, if not longer, but a lot of people have asked if they are going to draft or bring in someone else. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to do this thread after the NFCC game talk was slowing down and not during the Superbowl (so as not to get away from that), but before the offseason, where there might be less traffic here.

I know there was a thread on this before but I didn't know how to add a poll to a thread that I didn't start. Also, now that the head coaching openings have been filled, people's opinions might change. Mine has, because I thought he'd go to Jacksonville with Roman. Now with Roman staying, that has changed.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say either Oakland, Jacksonville, or Zona.

But I would like to see him go to KC with Reid. They have a good defense and need some more pieces. But they are better than those shit teams I listed.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a general question, but if a poll is public, would you refrain from voting or does it make no difference? (Public is when you can see who voted for what.) Since you can only vote once (without multiple screen-names) and identity doesn't matter, I didn't make it public so as to encourage voting. But it might not have mattered because this isn't controversial.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vikings(reunion with Singletary) or Jets(fed to the dogs).

I still will never forgive Smith for holding the team back

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt rule out Oakland since he has lived in Cali basically his whole life. He has a wife and a new baby so i wouldnt be surprised if location is a factor. But then again its oakland....lol

KC and cleveland i would think the top 2

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings(reunion with Singletary) or Jets(fed to the dogs).

I still will never forgive Smith for holding the team back

Your are kidding right? 2005 he is drafted to an absolute garbage team with no line and has some of the worst head coaches in the NFL. Now he has Harbaugh and company with a team that took years to build and they are winning now. Since then he has produced and became one of the better QBs in the league top 10. When he was drafted he was thrown to the wolves.

He got handed the keys of a pinto when he came to the NFL. Compare that to Collin by getting the keys to a bently. Come on...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say either Oakland, Jacksonville, or Zona.

But I would like to see him go to KC with Reid. They have a good defense and need some more pieces. But they are better than those shit teams I listed.

I've read some fans that say this will happen, either by trade or free agency. And then I've read the opposite, dismissing it as if him doing well was a prerequisite to someone thinking he might do well. Guess what? Sometimes teams take a chance on someone, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it looked like it would by the fans and media, sometimes not. It doesn't mean everybody has a chance to be picked, just saying that a lot of people guessed wrong on Harbaugh picking Alex last year - even when they knew of the lockout.

If it worked out, I'd want him to go to Kansas City, because their team makes it seem plausible to have some success (not to rival ours) and they are in the AFC. If Philadelphia were an AFC team, that's where I'd want him to try it out and succeed, because it's back on the big stage. If he played well it could happen - I think playing well on the Jets would be irrelevant. Of course, I want him to do well and am not predicting it in Philadelphia. Just saying if I could control the fates, without SF being an option, that's what I'd choose.

Heck no to Arizona, I won't be a fan of any team he goes to, but I don't want to root against him either except when he plays us. I'll root for him, who's kidding who, but I'll always want our seed to be higher if in same conference or for us to win all head-to-heads. If his team's runningback fumbles when in the lead for a TD return for a loss, won't be too upset. Even when we play him, I'd hope for a good game by him, where they lose on a Kaepernick TD on the last play. But Arizona? Yeah, I'd want a blowout 45-24 style (so some good play by Smith but overwhelming Niners victory).

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Your are kidding right? 2005 he is drafted to an absolute garbage team with no line and has some of the worst head coaches in the NFL. Now he has Harbaugh and company with a team that took years to build and they are winning now. Since then he has produced and became one of the better QBs in the league top 10. When he was drafted he was thrown to the wolves.

He got handed the keys of a pinto when he came to the NFL. Compare that to Collin by getting the keys to a bently. Come on...

Odd how Smith was ousted after 1 start by a 2nd year QB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reid dumped him philly why would he want him in kc?

Huh? You mean Vick? Kolb?

Ohhhhh, I see. I was saying that if Andy Reid had gone to Arizona, he might have done that. The reports were that his pitch to be coach there was "I can fix Kolb."

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting, last year nobody was really interested. Two main reasons pop out as to why...

1) His history of underwhelming statistical seasons
2) Why waste your time pursuing a guy who wants to be in SF and SF wants him back? A guy would have to be an idiot to suffer through all those years and then walk away for more money when they finally get to the playoffs and advance to the NFCCG

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting, last year nobody was really interested. Two main reasons pop out as to why...

1) His history of underwhelming statistical seasons
2) Why waste your time pursuing a guy who wants to be in SF and SF wants him back? A guy would have to be an idiot to suffer through all those years and then walk away for more money when they finally get to the playoffs and advance to the NFCCG

Yep. This is what bugs me when people said that no one wanted him, not even Miami. Your #1 is why no one pushed for him, your #2 is why there wasn't that much interest and why Smith passed on Miami (offered the same amount as our original offer, according to some reports). We didn't enter the Manning sweepstakes until late, so no one would consider Alex available at the start - he wasn't good enough for someone to try to wrestle him away. Once it became public that SF wanted Manning, Smith had arrangements to see Miami and Seattle. Seattle got Flynn after Flynn knew Miami wasn't going to offer him much. Once Manning was out of the question, Smith had a no-brainer.

No guarantees for this year, so if he is a FA and not pursued, then that says something, considering the poor QB play this year and the bad draft prospects. If he's released and comes back, that means he's loyal to a fault, good for us, bad for him. If we keep him, all it says is he's not good enough to trade for and pay or everyone thought he was going to be released - the opposite of last year.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read some fans that say this will happen, either by trade or free agency. And then I've read the opposite, dismissing it as if him doing well was a prerequisite to someone thinking he might do well. Guess what? Sometimes teams take a chance on someone, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it looked like it would by the fans and media, sometimes not. It doesn't mean everybody has a chance to be picked, just saying that a lot of people guessed wrong on Harbaugh picking Alex last year - even when they knew of the lockout.

If it worked out, I'd want him to go to Kansas City, because their team makes it seem plausible to have some success (not to rival ours) and they are in the AFC. If Philadelphia were an AFC team, that's where I'd want him to try it out and succeed, because it's back on the big stage. If he played well it could happen - I think playing well on the Jets would be irrelevant. Of course, I want him to do well and am not predicting it in Philadelphia. Just saying if I could control the fates, without SF being an option, that's what I'd choose.

Heck no to Arizona, I won't be a fan of any team he goes to, but I don't want to root against him either except when he plays us. I'll root for him, who's kidding who, but I'll always want our seed to be higher if in same conference or for us to win all head-to-heads. If his team's runningback fumbles when in the lead for a TD return for a loss, won't be too upset. Even when we play him, I'd hope for a good game by him, where they lose on a Kaepernick TD on the last play. But Arizona? Yeah, I'd want a blowout 45-24 style (so some good play by Smith but overwhelming Niners victory).

I agree. If I was a Niner fan I would want him to go to a team that can be competitive, but in AFC so you can play him once in a blue moon.

Like I said KC would be best option IMO

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cleveland might have the easiest time selling Alex Smith to their fans...

There is no debate, Alex Smith can't win without very good offensive coaching. Cleveland can easily point out that Smith has had success two times in his NFL career, under Harbaugh and under Norv. Then go on to say that Norv didn't do too bad with a 2nd year guy, so imagine what Norv can do with the polished product that Harbaugh is sending over.