• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

politics thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for clarity, what's a Liberal? Seriously, what's a Liberal?

A sniveling little crybaby weasel without ethics and full of hypocrisy.

If you believe a fetus is a clump of cells if the mother kills it, but believe if a drunk driver kills it then it is a baby...

If you believe freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want as long as it doesn’t offend anybody, unless they are Republicans...

If you believe the answer to your problems is more government...

If you believe it is ok to take from one person who earned what they got and give it to another...

If you believe illegal aliens deserve to be in this country and we should support them...

Then you might be a liberal.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A sniveling little crybaby weasel without ethics and full of hypocrisy.

If you believe a fetus is a clump of cells if the mother kills it, but believe if a drunk driver kills it then it is a baby...

If you believe freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want as long as it doesn’t offend anybody, unless they are Republicans...

If you believe the answer to your problems is more government...

If you believe it is ok to take from one person who earned what they got and give it to another...

If you believe illegal aliens deserve to be in this country and we should support them...

Then you might be a liberal.

Just as I thought, you don't really know do you? Are you aware that it was liberalism that modernized this country?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as I thought, you don't really know do you? Are you aware that it was liberalism that modernized this country?

Except I just defined it.

Actually, it was the free market that modernized this country. The free market would not fall under liberalism.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opposite of a conservative?

Both terms are deceptively disingenuous.

A so called Liberal has no issue with spending money on things like social programs, medical care for people in this country, and infrastructure to keep this country running. They generally are not obsessed with the USA having the most guns on the planet.

A so called conservative will bitch and moan about any and all social programs, but is obsessed with maintaining Americas place as the most powerful military in the galaxy (woo hoo Space Force)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A so called Liberal has no issue with spending money on things like social programs, medical care for people in this country, and infrastructure to keep this country running. They generally are not obsessed with the USA having the most guns on the planet.

A so called conservative will bitch and moan about any and all social programs, but is obsessed with maintaining Americas place as the most powerful military in the galaxy (woo hoo Space Force)

They like to spend other people’s money on social programs. Let’s not hide that tidbit.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except I just defined it.

Actually, it was the free market that modernized this country. The free market would not fall under liberalism.

Exactly...YOU defined it!! There's a 180 degree difference between YOUR definition and the actual definition. C'mon @gkekoa, you know that here in the off topic thread we deal, or try to, deal with definition over supposition. Part of the reason why we've gone on for as long as we have in this thread is use of overly broad strokes to define, accepted negative definitions, and beliefs not rooted in fact. To be fair, I've done this as well, and although it's fun to engage at times in such banter (see: religion) it serves no purpose in the political realm beyond creating a false base to support ingrained beliefs.

BTW: what were the underpinnings of the free market that you believe modernized this country?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opposite of a conservative?

Totally incorrect, by definition you will find that people utilize parts of both in their lives. From a political sense, I'm personally pretty conservative when dealing in finances and pretty progressive on social issues. When these two issues conflict in general political conversations, my tendency is to go with personal rights over money.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They like to spend other people’s money on social programs. Let’s not hide that tidbit.

Yep, like the military, fire and police departments, and social programs like social security. It's interesting that it's other peoples money when folks disagree despite the fact that we all contribute to the "general welfare" in one form or the other.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Social programs are great when not abused.

When the face of a political party is 23 yr old hipsters who have never worked a day in their life and the want to label me as a bigoted racist because I don't want to donate 5 bucks to the transgendered midget society? F that I'll donate my $ and time to a cause I want to "Kayden,Brayden,Jayden,Bryson,insert millennial name here etc)

Never met a lib under 25 that after chatting didn't want to drill with an uppercut.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally incorrect, by definition you will find that people utilize parts of both in their lives. From a political sense, I'm personally pretty conservative when dealing in finances and pretty progressive on social issues. When these two issues conflict in general political conversations, my tendency is to go with personal rights over money.
Fair enough. So what is your definition of a liberal?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. So what is your definition of a liberal?

Not mine but rather THE one and ONLY definition...I agree with and practice this as necessary.

Liberalism, political doctrine that takes protecting and enhancing the freedom of the individual to be the central problem of politics. Liberals typically believe that government is necessary to protect individuals from being harmed by others; but they also recognize that government itself can pose a threat to liberty.

...And I support the fiscal stability, traditions and continuity of this with regards to my money.

Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions in the context of culture and civilization. Some conservatives seek to preserve things as they are, emphasizing stability and continuity, while others, called reactionaries, oppose modernism and seek a return to "the way things were".

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not mine but rather THE one and ONLY definition...I agree with and practice this as necessary.

Liberalism, political doctrine that takes protecting and enhancing the freedom of the individual to be the central problem of politics. Liberals typically believe that government is necessary to protect individuals from being harmed by others; but they also recognize that government itself can pose a threat to liberty.

...And I support the fiscal stability, traditions and continuity of this with regards to my money.

Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions in the context of culture and civilization. Some conservatives seek to preserve things as they are, emphasizing stability and continuity, while others, called reactionaries, oppose modernism and seek a return to "the way things were".
What is your source, if this is not your definition? And what makes this the "definitive" definition?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your source, if this is not your definition? And what makes this the "definitive" definition?

My source is history, there is no individual definition, and it's the definitive definition by tradition.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My source is history, there is no individual definition, and it's the definitive definition by tradition.
Who’s tradition?

See where I’m going with this? GKs definition is no more right or wrong than yours. Yours is shaped by your life history and traditions just as his is. Maybe if we took more time to understand those we disagree with, and their history, we might better understand why they believe and act the way they do. This include both sides of the political spectrum.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And they are also spending other peoples money on the military, but I guess thats ok huh?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they are also spending other peoples money on the military, but I guess thats ok huh?

Military and national defense is used by all.

Welfare and other programs are only used by a handful.

Liberals claim to want higher taxes but only want higher taxes on other people..thus spending other people’s money.

Why don’t they simply give more money to the IRS?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What individual freedom has liberalism ever got us? All it provides is bigger government and fewer actual liberties.

Conservatives promote actual individual liberties. Conservatives believe in a more conservative morality...you reap what you sow.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, like the military, fire and police departments, and social programs like social security. It's interesting that it's other peoples money when folks disagree despite the fact that we all contribute to the "general welfare" in one form or the other.

I am actually against fire departments and social security.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who’s tradition?

See where I’m going with this? GKs definition is no more right or wrong than yours. Yours is shaped by your life history and traditions just as his is. Maybe if we took more time to understand those we disagree with, and their history, we might better understand why they believe and act the way they do. This include both sides of the political spectrum.

Political parties have been around for far longer periods of time than any of us have been around. Definitions have been shaped and reshaped depending upon time and circumstance, but that wasn't your question was it? You specifically asked about the term "Liberalism" and the historical definition hasn't changed since in came to be. Others have attempted to redefine the term, but that doesn't change it, except in the minds of those who desire to use it for some intended advantage. I do try to remind others of misuse of these terms, however it remains difficult when "talking points' become popular.

BTW: I am neither a Republican nor Democrat, because it really doesn't matter to me what political brand one is wearing when the intention is doing harm to folks who share my lineage.

Status
Not open for further replies.