• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Police want to speak with La'el Collins

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think he goes in the second unless more damaging info pops up in the next day or 2.

there isn't one bit of damaging info out there at the moment. media hype all over this as all that has been stated was that Police want to interview him to see if he could provide any information. I'll relax, wait and weed out all of the BS. Nearly everyone wants to jump to a final conclusion. It's one thing to be aware. It's a another thing to assume the absolute unknown.... all IMO only. an individual can speculate.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no chance he isn't drafted this weekend. If he is on the board when our 2nd rd pick is up and we don't take him then we are even more fucked up as a franchise than I thought.

If the Lions took him with a second round pick and he goes the way of Titus Young would it still be a no brainer they had to take him pick? Or would we then hear about how terrible Mayhew is for that pick in the first place?

Titus Young had a CRAZY amount of talent and he is one of the biggest marks against Mayhew.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions took him with a second round pick and he goes the way of Titus Young would it still be a no brainer they had to take him pick?

IMO, majority of fans would be jubilant with the pick. Then if he was found guilty later on or he became a bust, fans would automatically go the opposite direction forgetting that once comfy, cozy, warm feeling they had. It's the way people react without thinking it through precisely.

Or would we then hear about how terrible Mayhew is for that pick in the first place?

of course it would go down that way. see my above response. fickle fans. fickle reaction after the fact.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought is this- what if he goes undrafted, but then is completely exonnerated?

Does he then instantly become an unrestricted free agent? Would he be able to go to the highest bidder at taht point? Because if that exact scenario unfolds, and suddenly an otherwise first-round rookie becomes available during training camp there would be a huge bidding war for his services, imo. He could end up making way more money than any other rookie in the league.

I wonder if there's league rules limiting how much UDFAs can be paid? I'd imagine there isn't because a scenario where one of the best players in the draft goes undrafted only to later be in huge demand. Special circumstances, to say the least...

I do believe there is TP. There is a max on all picks so I am sure there is also UDFA. The spot that can be hire is the signing bonus....but it an only be 80%-120% of some certain number. At least that was I understood it awhile back. So knowing my ass he can make more than the number one pick for all I know.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is still still talk about collins going supplemental that talk was turned down by the NFL......He will be in the draft tonite.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins and the Browns possibly trading up to take yet another QB (Really Cleveland?) I think are the stories to watch to tonite.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where shane ray and randy gregory get drafted after their recent faux paux

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we don't take him with that pick because said detectives gave them information that he is indeed involved?

That is a genuinely stupid question. Everyone is dumber for having read it.

If the Lions took him with a second round pick and he goes the way of Titus Young would it still be a no brainer they had to take him pick? Or would we then hear about how terrible Mayhew is for that pick in the first place?

No. I would absolutely be behind the pick if the Lions made their best efforts to gather as much info as they could and felt good that he would be cleared. Its simply a situation where the reward is far greater than the risk.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is on the board when our 2nd rd pick is up and we don't take him then we are even more fucked up as a franchise than I thought.

You said this. So why is my question so bad? :noidea:

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said this. So why is my question so bad? :noidea:
Because your question said that detectives told us he was involved. of course you aren't going to take him then. if the info you got back didn't say that he was clear then you pass without giving it another moments thought. My mulch calls.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume that would be obvious, but the statement of yours I was commenting on didn't leave any room for that possibility...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I would absolutely be behind the pick if the Lions made their best efforts to gather as much info as they could and felt good that he would be cleared. Its simply a situation where the reward is far greater than the risk.
I find that hard to believe. It would be just more ammo to bash the F.O. Many statements made months or even years ago go unnoticed. There may also never be a way for us to truly know if the F.O. did their homework on the guy/reports. So these articles could come out, and whatever is written would be believed, when it could be very far from the truth. Imo, you'd bash the pick if he was later convicted.

But that's neither here nor there as we drafted a guy that probably won't ever sniff a speeding ticket, let alone a potential murder charge.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last thing the Lions (Mayhew) need to do is draft Collins unless its in the fifth round or something. Fans would crucify him if Collins were to be found guilty. Lets be real here. The Collins situation has the potential to become a major distraction for any team that takes him "if" somehow something goes wrong. Not good to put your team in that stuff.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find that hard to believe. It would be just more ammo to bash the F.O. Many statements made months or even years ago go unnoticed. There may also never be a way for us to truly know if the F.O. did their homework on the guy/reports. So these articles could come out, and whatever is written would be believed, when it could be very far from the truth. Imo, you'd bash the pick if he was later convicted.

But that's neither here nor there as we drafted a guy that probably won't ever sniff a speeding ticket, let alone a potential murder charge.
Well that's your opinion and thoughts I guess on what I would do despite me having said on the record something entirely different.

I was never talking about what the media reports either. You are kidding yourself if you don't think they could have immediately sent a couple of PI's down there and gathered info far more in depth than what the media has access to right now.

At this point it's irrelevant, we didn't take him. We took a great person but IMO a big reach, not sure if anyone at all, other than the Lions, saw him as a 1st rd pick.

I bash The Clown Show because they deserve it, not because I find it fun. I'd rather be complimentary but the proof is in the pudding. Are we winning playoff games, are we in a solid cap position, are we a legit contender?

I see none of those going on with this administration and they have had well more than enough time to make that happen. The Lions have been the most forgiving organization in the league and surprise, surprise we have no results that matter. Two Playoff Appearance banners and a message board of guys who think we've built a good roster isn't exactly proof the job is getting done and the right people are in the roles.

I stand firmly behind the outrage of how these clowns got there jobs and have kept them this long.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to see anyone call the pick a reach other than the fans at this point. The only way to get what could possibly be the best gaurd was to talk him. Freep.com has an article stating that Mayhew had 3 different offers to move down but none was better than Denver's. I wanted Coleman there but oh well...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's your opinion and thoughts I guess on what I would do despite me having said on the record something entirely different.

I was never talking about what the media reports either. You are kidding yourself if you don't think they could have immediately sent a couple of PI's down there and gathered info far more in depth than what the media has access to right now.

At this point it's irrelevant, we didn't take him. We took a great person but IMO a big reach, not sure if anyone at all, other than the Lions, saw him as a 1st rd pick.

I bash The Clown Show because they deserve it, not because I find it fun. I'd rather be complimentary but the proof is in the pudding. Are we winning playoff games, are we in a solid cap position, are we a legit contender?

I see none of those going on with this administration and they have had well more than enough time to make that happen. The Lions have been the most forgiving organization in the league and surprise, surprise we have no results that matter. Two Playoff Appearance banners and a message board of guys who think we've built a good roster isn't exactly proof the job is getting done and the right people are in the roles.

I stand firmly behind the outrage of how these clowns got there jobs and have kept them this long.

In all fairness, the media could, and probably did, do the exact same thing. There's no reason to think the media wouldn't hire the best PI's available to go see what they could find out. We're talking about a several-hundred million dollar industry here, after all. There's no information that teams have access to on that front that the media doesn't have access to...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. Yes. Yes.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure if anyone at all, other than the Lions, saw him as a 1st rd pick.

I saw 2 or 3 mocks that had Tomlinson at 31 or 32. I'll see if I can find them. One of the Mocks had LT going to NE as a replacement for Logan Mankins, who was traded late last year to TB. I know I saw that one.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to see anyone call the pick a reach other than the fans at this point. The only way to get what could possibly be the best gaurd was to talk him. Freep.com has an article stating that Mayhew had 3 different offers to move down but none was better than Denver's. I wanted Coleman there but oh well...

Likewise.

I've noticed over the years that picks 25-ish onward are really hard for the media to predict. There's always lots of surprises at the end of the round that get labeled as "reaches" by the fans because that's not who the media had slotted there.

Plus Tomlinson has the added value of providing medical care to his teamamtes when he's not on the field... :lol: