• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Hunt - 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beating Cincy was a BIG move toward the playoffs for us. Particularly after blowing the Seattle game. Honestly, I'm surprised we won. Watching that Cincy returnman keep muffing the ball like that gave me PTSD flashbacks of the 2011 NFC Championship Game.

If we can't beat the Texans with the playoffs just 3 weeks away, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Then again, we'll be playing against their backup QB, so he'll probably throw for 300yds and 2TDs.

This week's game against ATL might really be the biggest game we have left on the schedule. They're fighting for their playoff lives (hanging by a thread), but a win for us means even if we lose another couple of games, the tiebreakers will keep us in the playoffs b/c the only other teams in contention will be ATL, Minny, and Philly.

Just as Seattle seems to have the Niners' number, the Niners apparently have the Rams number. Something about our running game perfectly exploits their defensive front--it's weird. We gotta hope that continues or that the Rams rest their starters for that last game or both.

As for the playoffs, it's a strange year. There are only 6 teams in the conference with a winning record, and 4 or 5 teams with a losing record still have a chance at the playoffs.
--TB and GB are fighting for HFA with the loser being the 2 seed
--Barring a meltdown, Dallas has the East locked up, getting them the 3 or 4 seed
--The odds say that the Cards win the West (3 or 4 seed), with the Rams being the 5 seed
--If WFT loses 2 of their next 4 games (Philly x2, Dallas, NYG), it opens the door for Philly, ATL, and even NO

Yeah i guess it "evened out", we had a good opportunity to beat Seattle and lost. We should've lost to Cinncinatti save for TWO muffed punts. The taunting penalty was ticky tack too.

Surprised we're such BIG favorites against Atlanta? Just don't turn it over and we should be fine. Don't make those unnecessary 15=yard penalties.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now (before the Monday and Tuesday games), the playoffs stand:
1. GB
2. Dallas
3. TB
4. Cards
5. Rams
6. Niners
7. Saints
Out: Skins, Vikings, Eagles

With GB getting the lone bye:
-Dallas would host the Saints
-TB would host the Niners
-Cards would host the Rams

The Niners can still lose 1 game and stay in the 6th seed b/c as of now we still have the conference tie-breaker over New Orleans.

Unfortunately, the Niners still have to play the Titans on Thursday (the 3 seed in the AFC) and the Rams (5th seed in the NFC), while the Saints, Skins, and Eagles all have easier schedules.

In the first rd, I think the Niners would much rather play the Packers or Cowboys than the Bucs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As of now (before the Monday and Tuesday games), the playoffs stand:
1. GB
2. Dallas
3. TB
4. Cards
5. Rams
6. Niners
7. Saints
Out: Skins, Vikings, Eagles

With GB getting the lone bye:
-Dallas would host the Saints
-TB would host the Niners
-Cards would host the Rams

The Niners can still lose 1 game and stay in the 6th seed b/c as of now we still have the conference tie-breaker over New Orleans.

Unfortunately, the Niners still have to play the Titans on Thursday (the 3 seed in the AFC) and the Rams (5th seed in the NFC), while the Saints, Skins, and Eagles all have easier schedules.

In the first rd, I think the Niners would much rather play the Packers or Cowboys than the Bucs.
Given a choice, i'd rather not play GB in round 1. Maybe they just hold on to the bye and moot point?

My reason is Rodgers is better at burning CB's than Brady or Prescott. Not that Brady and Prescott are slouches, but Rodgers is more adept throwing downfield IMO. I know we should've beaten them Game 3, but now is now and they're playing the best.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Monday and Tuesday games, with 3 weeks to go, the only change is at the 7th seed.

1. GB
2. Dallas
3. TB
4. Cards
5. Rams
6. Niners
7. Vikings
Next Out: Eagles, Saints, Skins

The Niners have momentum at just the right time of the year.
--9ers can get the 5 seed if the LAR lose to either Bmore or Minnesota and the 9ers beat them
--BUT, if the Rams are 12-4 when they face us, we have nothing to gain by winning, but the Rams might
--If the Rams win the division, dropping AZ to the 5, the Niners can't get the 5

The remaining schedules for the 7th seed--looking like the Eagles will eventually nab the 7th seed:
Vikings: Rams, At GB, Chicago
Eagles: Giants, At Skins, Dallas
Saints: At Bmore, Jags, Cards
Skins: At Dallas, Philly, At NYG

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the two mandatory losses to the Seahawks each year, the 49ers so far this year have only lost to playoff-bound teams. Perhaps its not as bad as it seems.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff after yesterday:
1. GB
2. Dallas
3. Rams
4. Bucs
5. Cards
6. Niners
7. Eagles

The Rams have jumped into the 3-team tie that AZ was in, but Dallas has the 3-team tiebreaker over the Rams and Bucs, so the Cowboys jump to the 2 seed.

This means the Rams still have a lot to play for:
--Rams win the division if they win against Bmore and the Niners.
--Rams win the division if they lose 1 of those games & AZ loses 1 to @Dallas or Seattle

Even if the Rams clinch the division next weekend (looking likely), they might still have something to play for in the way of playoff seeding.
--Do the Rams want to play SF in week 18 only to play them again the next week in the WC round? Seeds 3 v. 6.
--Would LA rather play as the 4 seed so they can play against the 5th seed Cardinals in the WC round?

Other than the two mandatory losses to the Seahawks each year, the 49ers so far this year have only lost to playoff-bound teams. Perhaps its not as bad as it seems.
Hopefully those two mandatory losses to Seattle are balanced out by our two mandatory wins over the Rams. I don't feel quite as bad losing to Tennessee b/c the Titans have already beaten the Rams and Seahawks after losing to the Cards in week 1.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I see it, If the 49ers win Sunday, the Vikings cannot catch the 49ers and if the Saints lose tonight I think they cannot pass the 49ers either. Everything else is irrelevant, the onbly thing that matters is the 49ers getting in.

As for not feeling badly about the Niners losing to the Titans, yeah, it was a loss I expected any way but the way they lost sickens me. I got no joy whatsoever when they scored the game tying touchdown because I was 100% certain the defense would give it up at the end. There was no doubt in my mind.

C0deRed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 9ers should take care of business versus the Texans. The Rams will be tough.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 9ers should take care of business versus the Texans. The Rams will be tough.
There were more than a few losses where i felt the 49ers were going to "take care of business".

They'll be fired up for the Rams, that won't be a problem. However, they CAN'T take Houston lightly, not one bit.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now I hear Garoppolo has a thumb injury and may not play on Sunday? Good lord! What next?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were more than a few losses where i felt the 49ers were going to "take care of business".

They'll be fired up for the Rams, that won't be a problem. However, they CAN'T take Houston lightly, not one bit.
Especially if Garoppolo doesn't play

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if Lance plays and how he does. If Lance plays well does Kyle even go back to Jimmy for the Playoffs? If Lance does play this weekend I expect to see a more run focused approach to beating the Texans. Kyle will have Lance running or handing off a lot more than Jimmy has been lately, but I'd also expect to see a few deep passes off play action. If Lance hits those and shows his accuracy has improved since that start early in the year Jimmy might be done unless Lance gets hurt.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely a moot point now, but it would've depended on which version?

Starting Lance now isn't a bad thing, he needs to go thru rookie pains sooner or later.
Agreed, but not at the cost of our playoff chances. He was awful against AZ. There is a reason why we haven’t heard his name once since that game. I think even Shanahan was surprised at how bad he was
With a defense incapable of stopping anyone in crunch time, the team is in real trouble

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but not at the cost of our playoff chances. He was awful against AZ. There is a reason why we haven’t heard his name once since that game. I think even Shanahan was surprised at how bad he was
With a defense incapable of stopping anyone in crunch time, the team is in real trouble
It will be interesting to see if Lance plays and how he does. If Lance plays well does Kyle even go back to Jimmy for the Playoffs? If Lance does play this weekend I expect to see a more run focused approach to beating the Texans. Kyle will have Lance running or handing off a lot more than Jimmy has been lately, but I'd also expect to see a few deep passes off play action. If Lance hits those and shows his accuracy has improved since that start early in the year Jimmy might be done unless Lance gets hurt.
What have you seen from Lance that makes you think he might play well? Max Sherzer has a shorter windup than Lance does. The way his ball sails is a recipe for disaster

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you would want to throw deep passes when you can throw it 5 yards to Samuel or Kittle and have it turn into a 55 yarder; Aiyuk too for that matter

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we can make the playoffs even if we lose to Houston and the Rams, it'll be a much easier with a win over the Texans.

And now it comes out that Grop is hurt--imo its' suspect b/c it came out AFTER his poor game against the Titans. On that note, it's looking like Trey Lance will have to play in Houston—we should be able to beat them with our backup QB. Shanny said trey’s last month of practice has been his best. Well, we’d sure better hope so.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More than likely Lance will play like a rookie......so so. Many fans are expecting too much from him right off.

Shannahan will TRY to keep the running game going to lessen his number of throws, we don't want Lance to throw picks. He can have a 'poor' passing percentage, but we don't want INT's first and foremost.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While we can make the playoffs even if we lose to Houston and the Rams, it'll be a much easier with a win over the Texans.

And now it comes out that Grop is hurt--imo its' suspect b/c it came out AFTER his poor game against the Titans. On that note, it's looking like Trey Lance will have to play in Houston—we should be able to beat them with our backup QB. Shanny said trey’s last month of practice has been his best. Well, we’d sure better hope so.
Yep, we'd better hope so.

As the Chargers just saw, Houston isn't a 'gimmie'

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah. I saw him shaking his thumb and rubbing it after a sack. It could be a big reason he threw poorly but I think he was making poor decisions on throws before that play
Of course Shanahan is going to say Lance looks much better because otherwise he looks even worse as a drafter
If Lance starts at least it will be interesting to see just what he has learned. Hopefully he’s not just a one read and tuck and run guy