• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Committee produce a show with fewer viewers.

LyquidMetal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks. I know he seemed to disappear for a bit here and there. Perhaps it was health related.

Been a few to pass kind of suddenly like that. Osceola and Cherokee come to mind. Obviously smitty.
Yeah. The passing of Cherokee was a kick in the gut. Hadn't posted for awhile and most figured he was busy helping out on the rez and then I get an email from his daughter that really felt like a baseball bat to the head.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. The passing of Cherokee was a kick in the gut. Hadn't posted for awhile and most figured he was busy helping out on the rez and then I get an email from his daughter that really felt like a baseball bat to the head.

I'm not ashamed to admit a shed a tear or two over that one. When that dude said he went to Rwanda and helped the refugees...he pretty much had my ear on anything he had to say. That was literally hell on Earth and he ran towards it.

But when I heard what happened with his adopted daughter...man..

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks. I know he seemed to disappear for a bit here and there. Perhaps it was health related.

Been a few to pass kind of suddenly like that. Osceola and Cherokee come to mind. Obviously smitty.

Smitty, Osceola, Cherokee, DawgE, smokey mountain dawg, Fear the Spear, 1776RU

That I can readily think of

Last edited:

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osceola ripped me up. We'd been chatting off line then he was gone.

Then we knew RU1776 was sick but his sudden passing still came as a shock.

Some of us had been begging Smithy to get to the hospital but it was too darn late.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have any data which would counter mine ... I would be happy to look at it. I would suggest that by your ignoring the facts ... perhaps it is you who are trolling ...

The 20-21 CFPNC was the lowest of all BCSNC and/or CFPNC ever. You think sponsors who paid millions of $$$ for a 30 million people footprint is jumping for joy that they reached barely over half that amount ... College football will have to change it's marketing plan or the tv money will begin to dry up.

Like it or not some people are starting to think the Play Off system is rigged ... and with the playoff committee refusal to consider up and coming teams ... along with putting the same teams in every year .... I am not sure they are not wrong... Hell Ohio State got into the playoffs barely winning 6 games, ND got into the playoff by losing a Conference Championship game --- they got in because of their name alone. So people turn the channel to something else

If you do not have the right name the Playoff Committee will never consider you ...
Here is where I agree with you. Lose a conference championship and your out. Not even win your division in a conference and your out.
ND needs to be undefeated or if they have one loss their strength of schedule needs to weighed against other one loss teams. No conference can have more than one team. OR:
Points should be allotted for beating Power 5 teams, less points for beating Group 5 teams, no points for beating FBS teams, and subtract points for playing and/or losing to an FBS team. I suggest 10 for beating a Power 5, 8 for beating a Group 5, Minus 5 for beating an FBS. Minus 5 for losing to a Group 5 and minus 10 for losing to an FBS.
This would eliminate buying victories by playing FBS schools. To offset the loss of revenue of FBS schools, a bigger % of the CFP and Bowls games should go to the FBS teams. Top four teams determined by total points and ties broken by head to head then SOS.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is where I agree with you. Lose a conference championship and your out. Not even win your division in a conference and your out.
ND needs to be undefeated or if they have one loss their strength of schedule needs to weighed against other one loss teams. No conference can have more than one team. OR:
Points should be allotted for beating Power 5 teams, less points for beating Group 5 teams, no points for beating FBS teams, and subtract points for playing and/or losing to an FBS team. I suggest 10 for beating a Power 5, 8 for beating a Group 5, Minus 5 for beating an FBS. Minus 5 for losing to a Group 5 and minus 10 for losing to an FBS.
This would eliminate buying victories by playing FBS schools. To offset the loss of revenue of FBS schools, a bigger % of the CFP and Bowls games should go to the FBS teams. Top four teams determined by total points and ties broken by head to head then SOS.
Notre Dame fans can't really make this argument though unless your team is going to permanently join a conference. Because as an Independent you can't win a division or conference. Basically until every team is in a conference there is no way you can ever make it a requirement. Because just like Notre Dame out of a conference if a team in a conference has a really strong schedule and loses 1 game and it costs them a division they have just as much right to be considered as an Independent team does.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame fans can't really make this argument though unless your team is going to permanently join a conference. Because as an Independent you can't win a division or conference. Basically until every team is in a conference there is no way you can ever make it a requirement. Because just like Notre Dame out of a conference if a team in a conference has a really strong schedule and loses 1 game and it costs them a division they have just as much right to be considered as an Independent team does.
Sure they can. The ND schedule each year is as difficult as any in the country. 5 ACC teams, 2 Big Ten, 2 Pac 12, Navy, 1 from either the SEC or Big 12 and one other, but never an FBS. The conferences that choose to have a conference championship do so for the money.
My point is that a conference champion that is 12-1 is in fact an 11-1, team if they essentially had a practice game against an FBS team.
Then of course there is always the argument that losing late is worse than losing early. Personally, I don't like that argument. Maybe in an 8 team playoff, each conference should get to choose its representative.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no chance a tiered system would be acceptable to the G5 conferences, you’re officially relegating them permanently to a second class status and almost certainly eliminate them from being able to amass enough points to make it into the playoff. You’d remove any incentive to schedule any quality OOC games, especially with G5 schools, because you get the same points for beating Vandy as you do for beating Alabama, and you’d get more points for beating Vandy than you would for beating Cincinnati or UCF, and lose less points if you lost to them. That provides a perverse incentive to schedule to worst teams in each group, not the best. If division and or conference championships are required, then independents are out, no backing in by not having to play for one.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no chance a tiered system would be acceptable to the G5 conferences, you’re officially relegating them permanently to a second class status and almost certainly eliminate them from being able to amass enough points to make it into the playoff. You’d remove any incentive to schedule any quality OOC games, especially with G5 schools, because you get the same points for beating Vandy as you do for beating Alabama, and you’d get more points for beating Vandy than you would for beating Cincinnati or UCF, and lose less points if you lost to them. That provides a perverse incentive to schedule to worst teams in each group, not the best. If division and or conference championships are required, then independents are out, no backing in by not having to play for one.Are not the G5 second class already. Keep in mind my criteria allowed only team from a conference. Of course you would get more points for beating Vandy, they are in the SEC after all.
Before I answer, I want to apologize for a typo. I meant FCS not FBS in a previous post.

The G5 should have their own championship as under the current set up none of them will ever get in. They are called Division 1 but not treated as Division 1.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they can. The ND schedule each year is as difficult as any in the country. 5 ACC teams, 2 Big Ten, 2 Pac 12, Navy, 1 from either the SEC or Big 12 and one other, but never an FBS. The conferences that choose to have a conference championship do so for the money.
My point is that a conference champion that is 12-1 is in fact an 11-1, team if they essentially had a practice game against an FBS team.
Then of course there is always the argument that losing late is worse than losing early. Personally, I don't like that argument. Maybe in an 8 team playoff, each conference should get to choose its representative.
No they cant and that is just a large assumption. So again until you put every team in a conference you can't make it a requirement. Let's Say Notre Dame goes 11-1 and loses an OOC game to Alabama as an example. If Notre Dame were in the SEC West they wouldn't win the division and thus would be eliminated if they weren't Independent. So your argument fails big time and this example is largely why it isn't a requirement. You can't have different sets of Standards for teams in a Conference and Independent teams.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they cant and that is just a large assumption. So again until you put every team in a conference you can't make it a requirement. Let's Say Notre Dame goes 11-1 and loses an OOC game to Alabama as an example. If Notre Dame were in the SEC West they wouldn't win the division and thus would be eliminated if they weren't Independent. So your argument fails big time and this example is largely why it isn't a requirement. You can't have different sets of Standards for teams in a Conference and Independent teams.
Well then, I guess the NCAA and the FBS should just say Independents along with G5 teams are just not eligible for the championship.
Probably would not go over well with TV and advertisers and the individual bowls but it would make the conferences happy. Of course in any ND undefeated season (and an occasional 1 loss season) there would be two teams sharing the national championship. The P5s would say it was because ND was not eligible and ND would claim the Committee was afraid to play them.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then, I guess the NCAA and the FBS should just say Independents along with G5 teams are just not eligible for the championship.
Probably would not go over well with TV and advertisers and the individual bowls but it would make the conferences happy. Of course in any ND undefeated season (and an occasional 1 loss season) there would be two teams sharing the national championship. The P5s would say it was because ND was not eligible and ND would claim the Committee was afraid to play them.
No the system is fine the way it is. People just need to get over the "Must win a conference and division" BS. Sometimes 2 of the best teams in the country can be in a single division. Anyone that follows recruiting can see why that might happen.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re eligible, as are teams in conferences that do not win said conference. But if you want a rule saying only conference champs are eligible, then that means independents would NOT be.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike the G5 schools, the solution to Notre Dames problem is simple, they did it this year: join a P5 conference as a full member in football, and play a full conference schedule. You want to eliminate the G5’s from being able to compete for the championship because of something they cannot control and exempt your team from a requirement that you want to impose on the P5 schools even though it’s entirely under the control of Notre Dame to simply join a P5 conference. You cannot say that a division and conference championship is required to compete for the championship, except for Notre Dame, because we’re special. Can’t have it both ways, sport.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the advent of the BCS, only once (2003) has there been a split title. That occurred because the AP #1 was not in the BCSCG.

With the CFP requiring TWO wins, there’s virtually no chance of a split title.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the system is fine the way it is. People just need to get over the "Must win a conference and division" BS. Sometimes 2 of the best teams in the country can be in a single division. Anyone that follows recruiting can see why that might happen.
(TO ME) College Football has (or was) always about getting it done during the regular season no matter what, despite tall grass, bad calls, bad coaching decision, players making mistakes, injuries, and bad bounces ... yet some how the football team found a way to win in the regular season ... College football is NOT give me one more chance because I failed ...

I'm not sure it is about Conference Championships ... it is about winning. At the end of the season (when you should be playing your best football and you lose ... well you didn't get it done ... you are out (no matter what name you throw in front of me). Give another team who got it done in the regular season a shot .... even if that teams is named Central Florida ... let's find out if they can get it done ...

I am not sure more teams is the answer, I personally feel 6 teams is really all we need in the playoffs.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure more teams is the answer, I personally feel 6 teams is really all we need in the playoffs.
The point of expansion is to make more money for the universities and colleges. Adding more teams increases competition. It would give all of the power conference champions and a Group of Five program the opportunity to get into the playoffs. As it stands now, G5 programs have to hit lightening in the bottle AND hope for a 2007 like college football season.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(TO ME) College Football has (or was) always about getting it done during the regular season no matter what, despite tall grass, bad calls, bad coaching decision, players making mistakes, injuries, and bad bounces ... yet some how the football team found a way to win in the regular season ... College football is NOT give me one more chance because I failed ...

I'm not sure it is about Conference Championships ... it is about winning. At the end of the season (when you should be playing your best football and you lose ... well you didn't get it done ... you are out (no matter what name you throw in front of me). Give another team who got it done in the regular season a shot .... even if that teams is named Central Florida ... let's find out if they can get it done ...

Given all that, who should have been in the playoff and why?
What is the point of a 6 team playoff? Why should 2 teams get a bye? If you’re going for ratings, why have the top 2 teams sitting on their asses in this extra week of football that going to happen anyway?