• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Committee produce a show with fewer viewers.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given all that, who should have been in the playoff and why?
What is the point of a 6 team playoff? Why should 2 teams get a bye? If you’re going for ratings, why have the top 2 teams sitting on their asses in this extra week of football that going to happen anyway?
If the point is to accommodate all P5s plus G5 teams with the best case, 8 makes far more sense. This season, that would’ve allowed the 5 P5 champs, Cinci, and CC along with an at large (which would’ve been ND).

Whether that SHOULD be the point (i.e., whether it should be expanded) is a different question. If one is looking at ratings, I doubt many who took a pass on Bama/ND were going to be giddy over Bama/Oregon or Bama/CC. And the only team with a decent shot at “crashing the party” was OU - hardly “CFB new blood”. WRT the recruiting angle, I find it hard to believe HS kids watching would suddenly have an epiphany “why go to tOSU or Bama when I could go to Cinci or CC?”

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the point is to accommodate all P5s plus G5 teams with the best case, 8 makes far more sense. This season, that would’ve allowed the 5 P5 champs, Cinci, and CC along with an at large (which would’ve been ND).

I tend to switch back and forth between 6 and 8, but I think your point is correct. I believe the BETTER case is 8 teams.

As far as I can see, you have to do a 5 conference champions + 3 at-large teams format. There has to be a high premium on playing 13 games rather than 12 games and winning ones conference.

I keep on hearing it is "destroying the regular season" from the status quo folks, but their argument doesn't fly past any standards here. 8 team is only 6% of the college football population. 94% of the teams do not make it in. What it does is increase viewership for conference championship weekend and rivalry weekend. It also doesn't punish teams for "over-scheduling".

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to switch back and forth between 6 and 8, but I think your point is correct. I believe the BETTER case is 8 teams.

As far as I can see, you have to do a 5 conference champions + 3 at-large teams format. There has to be a high premium on playing 13 games rather than 12 games and winning ones conference.

I keep on hearing it is "destroying the regular season" from the status quo folks, but their argument doesn't fly past any standards here. 8 team is only 6% of the college football population. 94% of the teams do not make it in. What it does is increase viewership for conference championship weekend and rivalry weekend. It also doesn't punish teams for "over-scheduling".
I do think 8 is a number that both keeps it exclusive enough to honor the CFB tradition of the regular season meaning a lot and guarantee a path for teams to control their destiny. I would be against going to 16. At that point, you are rewarding teams that did little to distinguish themselves. They still can go to a bowl.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d like to see 10 team max conferences. No conference championship games. 8 team playoff.