• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Committee produce a show with fewer viewers.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The championship game drew the smallest viewers in the 7 year history of the College Championship Game and Playoffs. With the covid and people staying at home ... one would think the ratings would rise thru the roof. However; the Playoff Committee produces the same teams over and over and people are tired of watching the same teams over and over. The College Football Playoff Committee is a failure. They are presenting a show that less and less people are watching.

If the sponsors do not get the rating they were promised .. they will want money back. The paid for a certain "footprint" and didn't get it. This will force the College Presidents to modify the format is some form ...

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the ratings were fine until Alabama pulled away. Once the winner was obvious people tuned out. As for your Covid argument. Sports viewing has declined across all sports during the Pandemic for whatever reasons. It isn't a product of the teams or the format. It is what it is.

Link: “You can’t watch everything at once”: Why US sports TV ratings have been down during the pandemic

If you actually look at the drop off in viewers that other sports had College Football had probably the least drop off.

Viewership of the NBA Finals was down 51%
The Stanley Cup Finals was down 61%
The World Series was the lowest in viewers since it has been tracked.

All that to clarify that this isn't a match-up or format problem it is just the reality of sports viewership right now. I wouldn't use current viewership numbers as proof of anything right now. When people are stuck inside they get tired of watching certain things. When you have an active normal life making time for big sporting events is more important to you. I'm guessing you already had an idea about this because 2 minutes of research reveals all this.

Last edited:

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In comparison to other sports College Football again crushed the ratings in the same environment. It was the highest watched championship of any sport during the current seasons. So it definitely isn't losing any perceived value when it is reaching the broadest market of the sports that put on Championship events. The Super Bowl should again top it but the Super Bowl usually does.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one other nail in this arguments coffin. The Playoff Semifinals had almost virtually no drop in viewership year over year. Alabama vs Notre Dame was a 10% increase in viewers from the year before. In a world where sports viewership is dropping currently The CFP maintained.

Link: CFP Semifinals Steady in TV Ratings

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year was just the perfect storm for people tuning out. Covid started the season late, early season losses became much more devastating with a limited schedule, the biggest election in my lifetime, tons of canceled games, and limited or no in game fans probably turned off many casual fans. If COVID restrictions are lifted before next season, I imagine we will see a surge in ratings....at least compared to this last season.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One day Neil will post something that isn’t just trolling, yesterday apparently was not that day.
And on that same day pigs will fly, Hell will freeze, and Kate Beckinsale and Zoe Saldana will show up at my door with a bagful of sex toys (when my wife is out, of course).

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the ratings were helped by the fact that clemson wasn't there, people were sick of that matchup. Having OSU in it helped. I'm going to stop there. It's friday and I don't feel like getting into it today...........

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one other nail in this arguments coffin. The Playoff Semifinals had almost virtually no drop in viewership year over year. Alabama vs Notre Dame was a 10% increase in viewers from the year before. In a world where sports viewership is dropping currently The CFP maintained.

Link: CFP Semifinals Steady in TV Ratings

That's a Notre Dame bump and its why the playoff likes Notre Dame when.they can make the playoff.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure it would have been a ratings bonanza if only Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina been there.
I suspect that if they were in the CPF and beat Alabama and Clemson or Ohio State or ND in the semifinals it would be.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One day Neil will post something that isn’t just trolling, yesterday apparently was not that day.
If you have any data which would counter mine ... I would be happy to look at it. I would suggest that by your ignoring the facts ... perhaps it is you who are trolling ...

The 20-21 CFPNC was the lowest of all BCSNC and/or CFPNC ever. You think sponsors who paid millions of $$$ for a 30 million people footprint is jumping for joy that they reached barely over half that amount ... College football will have to change it's marketing plan or the tv money will begin to dry up.

Like it or not some people are starting to think the Play Off system is rigged ... and with the playoff committee refusal to consider up and coming teams ... along with putting the same teams in every year .... I am not sure they are not wrong... Hell Ohio State got into the playoffs barely winning 6 games, ND got into the playoff by losing a Conference Championship game --- they got in because of their name alone. So people turn the channel to something else

If you do not have the right name the Playoff Committee will never consider you ...

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody knew.

His nephew posted under his name letting people know he'd passed and the reason.

Sucks. I know he seemed to disappear for a bit here and there. Perhaps it was health related.

Been a few to pass kind of suddenly like that. Osceola and Cherokee come to mind. Obviously smitty.

LyquidMetal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is said post about AV:

//AnotherVoice has finally gone home to his maker yesterday and will no longer be posting. Love God, love your family, stay true to who you are even in difficult times. Please make donations to St. Jude in my uncle Paul French's name if so desired, his suffering from advanced ALS is finally over. Remember to hug your kids, your parents, your spouse, indeed all of your family, you never know when it will be the last time you can. May God Bless America\\

Yeah, I'd kinda wondered myself since I had only seen a coupla posts from him in several weeks. And he never said a word. Nobody knew.

Reactions: gob