• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players implicated by Al Jazeer must speak or face suspension

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I presume then that the CBA spells out they must talk then? If so then they should cooperate as they had their representatives bargain for.

I also think the story is better if they refuse :)

I would presume that every player does everything possible to get the edge needed to be the best and I am sure some do shall we say ( push the envelope to near explosion) .

if guilty then they should be properly punished

I seriously doubt guilt or innocence is really at play here...they already test for steroids so that would be the tell all in terms of guilt. More than anything I think the NFL wants to know if they've had any contact with the snitch and if so, what was the reason...why did your name come up in this allegation, etc.

Given that the NFLPA has not responded to this threat of suspension, the CBA apparently gives the league the power to investigate any and all drug related infractions

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at defensive Packers fans. Maybe they should join the oh poor me our team got caught cheating club with the Pats fans. They actually might be able to help each other.
Dude, your team wears purple and your fan base will forever have an inferiority complex.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where to fall on this. This could really go either way.

Think about it. What if SI reported that a half dozen NBA players (they name only 2) were fixing basketball games for gambling purposes (we all know that's not really true...b/c the refs fix the games). There is no other proof outside of that report. You'd think the NBA, as a part of its investigation, could force the players to tell what they know.

On the other hand, nothing in the CBA specifically forces a player to speak with the top execs and investigators under these circumstances. They COULD speak, but MUST they? Can they be suspended for refusing? That's a CBA question that'll have to be fleshed out in court. If I were the players, I'd fight it in court--even if I am as pure as the driven snow b/c this could set a bad precedent. If I lost in court, then I'd do the interview.

...and you Pats fans can save it b/c this isn't like the Brady case at all.

100% yes imo...something along the lines that could compromise the integrity of league...conduct detrimental...no question they would be forced to speak.

Court...in terms of these NFL players...initially they thought the NFLPA had their backs so they played the cat and mouse game and I don't blame them...but the NFLPA's response to this threat has been what exactly? They can forget about a court date before the season starts...and if they do get suspended, it's up to the heavy hand of Goodell to re-instate them, when he wants.

I'm just the opposite here...if I'm clean (keep in mind if you don't admit to anything, this interview can't really prove guilt, only a positive can do that) I would grant the interview and be done with this.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guarantee the next CBA is going to be contentious on issues like this and MJ testing between the players and the NFL
JMHO

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they cleared Manning, did the NFL say that the whole report was bogus... or did they say that the investigation on Manning was bogus???
The NFL is being ridiculous and causing further mistrust between them and the NFLPA.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the report was bogus, as is what the NFL said when they gave Manning clean slate, then why should the players even be forced to respond to the allegations stemming from this alleged bogus report?

Unless the NFL commissioner is a fucking idiot....

Do we need any more evidence that Roger has no fucking clue what he is doing?
Goodell should resign.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at defensive Packers fans. Maybe they should join the oh poor me our team got caught cheating club with the Pats fans. They actually might be able to help each other.
I'm a Cowboys fan but I believe Vikings fans are jealous of Packers fans.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

here's the new head of NFL security, Cathy Lanier, starts next month

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously doubt guilt or innocence is really at play here...

Given that the NFLPA has not responded to this threat of suspension, the CBA apparently gives the league the power to investigate any and all drug related infractions

Did you not pay any attention to that whole Tom Brady thing? It was never about guilt or innocence. Nor was Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, Ben Roethlisberger, or any of the other situations in which Goodell has imposed penalties. Same with fines for on the field antics like Harrison, Suh, Burfict, etc.

They have been all about appearance and PR. Players have consistently been fined and/or suspended based 100% on how big of a story it was and nothing more or less than that.

And the CBA gives the league, and specefically Roger Goodell the right to do whatever they damn well please. Especially in regard to any kind of discipline for any and all infractions. Real or imagined.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not pay any attention to that whole Tom Brady thing? It was never about guilt or innocence. Nor was Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, Ben Roethlisberger, or any of the other situations in which Goodell has imposed penalties. Same with fines for on the field antics like Harrison, Suh, Burfict, etc.

They have been all about appearance and PR. Players have consistently been fined and/or suspended based 100% on how big of a story it was and nothing more or less than that.

And the CBA gives the league, and specefically Roger Goodell the right to do whatever they damn well please. Especially in regard to any kind of discipline for any and all infractions. Real or imagined.

Great post, your question at the top makes me feel as if we should be on the opposite ends here, but I feel like we're saying the same thing. Conduct unbecoming doesn't need guilt, you're right 100% about that...it's about what kind of light your actions have shed on the shield.

Brady...that one the league felt like they had him dead to rites and when he got off initially, it became personal.

Real or imagined...imo, where punishment was handed down they've all been real issues...some far more serious than others, but all real. Has the punishment always fit? imo, no.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember some of these Packers fans are Brewers fans and thought that Ryan Braun was innocent. Packer fans aren't the brightest fan base in the country considering I run into them on a daily basis. Hell I have had Packers fans tell me that John Kuhn, Donal Driver and Al Harris will be in the NFL HOF. My brother was just at the Packers Browns preseason game and one fan said we need to sign Kuhn back. That's funny considering he is on the Saints. A guy I work with told me that Donald Driver is the best wr in NFL history to wear the jersey #80. They like to listen to there local homers on the radio like Johnny Gray and Harry Sidney that have brain damage. The Denver Broncos the defending Super Bowl Champs. Have a great night. Peace.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I very respectfully disagree. When talking to anyone in authority anything you say could be used against you. In todays world you must be very careful even if you honestly believe you have done nothing wrong.

If you are arrested you are read your rights? 1 in particular comes to mind ( anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law) Your not convicted of anything but the Powers that be think you have done something wrong. At this point the Authority's suspect something was done against the law thus the arrest.

Now things are a little different in the NFL because the players have bargained on their rights. If in the Collective Bargaining Agreement they are required to answer any and all questions then they must do so. If the Collective Bargaining agreement does not specifically spell that out then that is a completely different issue. I am sure the players union has legal counsel for these players and is advising them. The NFL holds way 2 much power over the players livelihood to take any chances.

But with all respect "only guilty people are afraid of being asked questions" is just not how things are anymore.

I side with the players exercising any and all of their collectively bargained rights.

With all that said if the players are proven guilty they deserve everything that happens to them. Suspension sure seems way over the top to me for not talking to the NFL's satisfaction.

Are they guilty I certainly don't know.

JMHO Jarntt and certainly not a shot at you

Yes people can get themselves in trouble. That is why you take a lawyer. I'm sure the NFLPA will supply a lawyer if the players in question can't afford their own.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously doubt guilt or innocence is really at play here...they already test for steroids so that would be the tell all in terms of guilt. More than anything I think the NFL wants to know if they've had any contact with the snitch and if so, what was the reason...why did your name come up in this allegation, etc.

That could be it. They want to know not that these guys are guilty but how they got linked up. Maybe they can uncover something bigger by talking to these guys.

But not answering questions is falling under "conduct detrimental to the league" which is pretty broad. Good luck fighting it. Just go answer the questions you bitches!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guarantee the next CBA is going to be contentious on issues like this and MJ testing between the players and the NFL
JMHO

I bet GOodell is all to happy to remove himself from the discipline and instead agree to something like a 3 man board where the league puts a man up there, the NFLPA puts a man up there, and an independent person agreed by both is the 3rd. And that board hands down all punsihment on a majority vote.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell has become judge and jury... The NFLPA should never have given Goodell the power to impose discipline wherever he sees fit.

NFLPA was stupid and only looking at the dollars. They won't make the mistake again.

Reactions: GNG

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLPA was stupid and only looking at the dollars. They won't make the mistake again.

Goodell is smarter than them collectively, and he has already all but assured they do the exact opposite next time. There can't be anyone out there with more than half a brain cell who thinks the commissioner should have absolute power like this. I guarantee you Goodell himself doesn't think he "should" be able to unilaterally do anything he wants. But he's going to continue doing it to really hammer it home to everyone. Nobody will have even half a doubt anymore before he's done.

So come next round of collective bargaining the players will be willing to give up a little more money, maybe play longer seasons with more games. They'll agree to just about anything, as long as Goodell has to give up some of this power. And they'll come away smiling and thinking they won.

He's slimy and dirty, and seemingly a shitty human being. But he's damn good at his job. As long as you agree that his job is to make as much money as possible for the owners.