• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players implicated by Al Jazeer must speak or face suspension

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were one of these four I'd say fine, I'll testify:

tumblr_lv87seSoBi1r6wo70o1_500.gif

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they did no wrong there is nothing to fear. If they cheated they should be punished. I don't get why anyone would have an issue with it. If they refuse to cooperate I hope they get punished for that. I see it as an admission of guilt. And I'd get their cell phones before they can destroy them...

Matthews is obviously taking something. the guy looks like a caveman for Christ's sake...

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they did no wrong there is nothing to fear. If they cheated they should be punished. I don't get why anyone would have an issue with it. If they refuse to cooperate I hope they get punished for that. I see it as an admission of guilt. And I'd get their cell phones before they can destroy them...

Matthews is obviously taking something. the guy looks like a caveman for Christ's sake...

Harrison owes his entire career to PEDs. The dude was cut 4 different times and then all of a sudden became a monster.

I don't care what anyone says, anything that names both Matthews and Harrison has some legs to it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the report was already recanted and the league very publicly dismissed its claims when giving Peyton Manning the clean slate.

Did you even read the article?

Peyton was given a pass because he answered questions. That is all the NFL wants, them to sit down and answer questions. Not a hard concept.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison owes his entire career to PEDs. The dude was cut 4 different times and then all of a sudden became a monster.

I don't care what anyone says, anything that names both Matthews and Harrison has some legs to it.
Hard to say no way to this.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they did no wrong there is nothing to fear.

Do you really believe that? There is no way the NFL would get it wrong?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Manning has shown that there is a way to get this spotlight off you. He went and talked with them and they said "nothing to see here, he is clear". The others refuse to answer any questions. So I'd say that the NFL has shown that they can get it right as long as people play along. The biggest issue with Brady is that he wouldn't cooperate and destroyed his phone.

Players will learn that when the league wants you to do something, you will do it. Answer their questions or don't play in their league. VERY simple.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton was given a pass because he answered questions. That is all the NFL wants, them to sit down and answer questions. Not a hard concept.
This is it. The players need their lawyers to find out just exactly how Manning was questioned, then agree to the same line of questioning. If they're innocent, or if they can at least tell convincing lies and keep their story straight, that's the end of the investigation.

However, if they start contradicting themselves, or there's holes in their stories, that's when things could get interesting.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning has shown that there is a way to get this spotlight off you. He went and talked with them and they said "nothing to see here, he is clear". The others refuse to answer any questions. So I'd say that the NFL has shown that they can get it right as long as people play along. The biggest issue with Brady is that he wouldn't cooperate and destroyed his phone.

Players will learn that when the league wants you to do something, you will do it. Answer their questions or don't play in their league. VERY simple.
And yet people continue to act like it's super shady and the NFL is screwing over the players, when that's just not the case. At the end of the day, the players are still employees, and their employers get to decide what kind of standard the employees must abide by.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This questioning should not take long. If I was a betting man I would bet the answer to each question is no unless they try to trick them with a question where no would not be the best answer.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course I believe it. But that has nothing to do with the NFL getting it right or wrong unless you feel they already made up their mind. Those are two different topics. The questioning will lead them to get it "right" if open and honest (which it won't be) even if right now they are "wrong". But they aren't even stating they know something improper happened, just that something was brought to their attention, so not doing their due diligence would be silly and incompetent. This whole conspiracy theory stuff is such BS. Everyone claims to be innocent. If you did no wrong you have nothing to fear. Only guilty people are afraid of being asked questions.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al-Jazeera-implicated NFLers to talk or face ban

This is some of the dumbest fucking shit I have ever seen the league do, and I have been around awhile.

Discuss.

The NFL trying to chase down allegations bases on heresay is dumb, when they could simply call the player in and ask for a random sample.

At the same time enough cash can make most people recant their story. So if they were going to go down that road all atll...that part of it I understand why they wouldn't just say okay, it was a bogus story, let's drop it.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is if they're guilty !!! :hmm:

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you did no wrong you have nothing to fear. Only guilty people are afraid of being asked questions.

I very respectfully disagree. When talking to anyone in authority anything you say could be used against you. In todays world you must be very careful even if you honestly believe you have done nothing wrong.

If you are arrested you are read your rights? 1 in particular comes to mind ( anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law) Your not convicted of anything but the Powers that be think you have done something wrong. At this point the Authority's suspect something was done against the law thus the arrest.

Now things are a little different in the NFL because the players have bargained on their rights. If in the Collective Bargaining Agreement they are required to answer any and all questions then they must do so. If the Collective Bargaining agreement does not specifically spell that out then that is a completely different issue. I am sure the players union has legal counsel for these players and is advising them. The NFL holds way 2 much power over the players livelihood to take any chances.

But with all respect "only guilty people are afraid of being asked questions" is just not how things are anymore.

I side with the players exercising any and all of their collectively bargained rights.

With all that said if the players are proven guilty they deserve everything that happens to them. Suspension sure seems way over the top to me for not talking to the NFL's satisfaction.

Are they guilty I certainly don't know.

JMHO Jarntt and certainly not a shot at you

game

Hoopla Cash
$ 9.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players not wanting to meet is nothing but NFLPA vs. Goodell. Sadly the NFLPA can't do anything about it. They gave Roger all the power and now they have to wait 5 years for the CBA to be over.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I very respectfully disagree. When talking to anyone in authority anything you say could be used against you. In todays world you must be very careful even if you honestly believe you have done nothing wrong.

If you are arrested you are read your rights? 1 in particular comes to mind ( anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law) Your not convicted of anything but the Powers that be think you have done something wrong. At this point the Authority's suspect something was done against the law thus the arrest.

Now things are a little different in the NFL because the players have bargained on their rights. If in the Collective Bargaining Agreement they are required to answer any and all questions then they must do so. If the Collective Bargaining agreement does not specifically spell that out then that is a completely different issue. I am sure the players union has legal counsel for these players and is advising them. The NFL holds way 2 much power over the players livelihood to take any chances.

But with all respect "only guilty people are afraid of being asked questions" is just not how things are anymore.

I side with the players exercising any and all of their collectively bargained rights.

With all that said if the players are proven guilty they deserve everything that happens to them. Suspension sure seems way over the top to me for not talking to the NFL's satisfaction.

Are they guilty I certainly don't know.

JMHO Jarntt and certainly not a shot at you
They have two options: Answer questions or get suspended. I hope they choose get suspended because it makes for a better story...

It's not like they are under oath or are going to be grilled about their entire life. Lie if you must to protect your other cheating when discussing this cheating, but only an idiot would not answer the questions if they are innocent IMO when the penalties are about the same and the only difference is assumed guilt versus proven guilt. Do any of us actually think Matthews is innocent on the topic in general even if nothing is found here? Don't be a cheerleader that backs your team no matter what, honestly even Packer fans must know this guy does something even if he is innocent here

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have two options: Answer questions or get suspended. I hope they choose get suspended because it makes for a better story...

It's not like they are under oath or are going to be grilled about their entire life. Lie if you must to protect your other cheating when discussing this cheating, but only an idiot would not answer the questions if they are innocent IMO when the penalties are about the same and the only difference is assumed guilt versus proven guilt. Do any of us actually think Matthews is innocent on the topic in general even if nothing is found here? Don't be a cheerleader that backs your team no matter what, honestly even Packer fans must know this guy does something even if he is innocent here

I presume then that the CBA spells out they must talk then? If so then they should cooperate as they had their representatives bargain for.

I also think the story is better if they refuse :)

I would presume that every player does everything possible to get the edge needed to be the best and I am sure some do shall we say ( push the envelope to near explosion) .

if guilty then they should be properly punished

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where to fall on this. This could really go either way.

Think about it. What if SI reported that a half dozen NBA players (they name only 2) were fixing basketball games for gambling purposes (we all know that's not really true...b/c the refs fix the games). There is no other proof outside of that report. You'd think the NBA, as a part of its investigation, could force the players to tell what they know.

On the other hand, nothing in the CBA specifically forces a player to speak with the top execs and investigators under these circumstances. They COULD speak, but MUST they? Can they be suspended for refusing? That's a CBA question that'll have to be fleshed out in court. If I were the players, I'd fight it in court--even if I am as pure as the driven snow b/c this could set a bad precedent. If I lost in court, then I'd do the interview.

...and you Pats fans can save it b/c this isn't like the Brady case at all.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I presume then that the CBA spells out they must talk then? If so then they should cooperate as they had their representatives bargain for.

I also think the story is better if they refuse :)

I would presume that every player does everything possible to get the edge needed to be the best and I am sure some do shall we say ( push the envelope to near explosion) .

if guilty then they should be properly punished
To be clear I am not saying they are guilty of this particular offense.