• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playaction?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just read a Steve Young article and he started to hint about playaction plays. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems we've barely done any. Do you think this week they break out some PA plays? It's becoming a pattern where we're trying something new each game and maybe this is it for this week?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just read a Steve Young article and he started to hint about playaction plays. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems we've barely done any. Do you think this week they break out some PA plays? It's becoming a pattern where we're trying something new each game and maybe this is it for this week?

since we're now an effective running team, does make sense? doesn't need to be a lot of PA, but 'breaking out some' is fine.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

play action on 1st down could work now that the running game is going, but earlier this year play action passes were not going well.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed we weren't running much playaction as well. Haven't really thrown the ball downfield much either.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been setting up future plays very well thanks to our ability to run and use pre-snap motion. I remember one play were we sent one of the WR's hard in motion and snapped like it would be a reverse to him. Smith then does a read a option hand off to Gore who takes it up the middle. I'd look for Smith it in the future with the intent to pitch it to the WR like a college option play or roll out to that same side of the field and look for a pass.

The thing is the play presented more options than just a Frank Gore run. We've been running a lot of formations and plays that show multiple possibilities. That is what's making us to hard to defend and prepare to play. I mean look at the pass to Staley and Sop. Teams have to prepare for that now and can not just relay on that fact that we will run it in our heavy sets. How do you prepare to cover an OL or DT down the field? We even showed our FB can run a pretty good wheel route.

The gameplan is the same Harbaugh liked to run at Stanford. When you can run and run well out of multiple formations it just opens up the passing lanes and makes the game easy.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We've worked in a few draw plays to slow down the pass rush.

Maybe one reason for not using play action is the emphasis on getting the ball out as quickly as possible early on.

Probably would do more play action in second half of games if we weren't running out the clock.

Good chance we'll see some more play action against the Giants with more passing attempts after their offense puts up some points, and they should be helping their run defense with safeties to open those up.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have noticed a lack of PA thus far this season for us. We could very well be saving it up for the latter part of the season. We do need to get some PA reps in the coming weeks and see if it opens up the passing lanes.

I have also noticed a decrease in screen plays in our game plan. We need to get those worked in more too. Is it me or has Gores hands seemed very poor this year?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see more playaction plays. I've been calling for it all season. We've been gashing teams on the run so much, we are bound to get someone open deep. If Alex can hit them in stride that is lol.