• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pirates fans have gone insane

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask Bucs Dugout: Should the Pirates trade for Paul Goldschmidt and Cole Hamels? - Bucs Dugout

Some of them think they can trade for Goldschmidt. Do they realize that he is probably the most untouchable player in baseball. Not only that, he is probably the most untouchable player in Diamondbacks history. To be even more honest, he is probably one of the most untouchable players in Arizona sports history. More untouchable than Steve Nash in his prime on the Phoenix Suns. I would not even trade Goldschmidt for the entire Pirates team and their farm system. I am blown away this is even a discussion anywhere.

Goldschmidt should have won the MVP two years ago but the Diamondbacks were a .500 team so they gave it to McCutchen even though Goldschmidt's numbers blew his away. Then he was on pace for MVP last year before THE PIRATES hit him with a pitch and broke his hand. Now Goldschmidt is neck in neck with Harper for MVP this year. Oh yeah, let's trade a 27 year old perennial MVP candidate who is signed through 2019 for 32 million dollars and give him up for some highly rated prospects. Give me a break. It legitimately makes no sense why this is even an article. Plus the writer of the article actually had the gall to say Goldschmidt's best seasons are already behind him because he is 27. Are you crazy? He keeps getting better every year and is just entering his prime. This is only his fourth full season in the league. Why someone would ever think his best seasons are behind him is a joke. He ain't 37. He is 27. Sorry but some people have absolutely no business writing sports articles.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a homer article with not much knowledge. My favorite part is when he said Goldschmidts best seasons are behind him.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask Bucs Dugout: Should the Pirates trade for Paul Goldschmidt and Cole Hamels? - Bucs Dugout

Some of them think they can trade for Goldschmidt. Do they realize that he is probably the most untouchable player in baseball. Not only that, he is probably the most untouchable player in Diamondbacks history. To be even more honest, he is probably one of the most untouchable players in Arizona sports history. More untouchable than Steve Nash in his prime on the Phoenix Suns. I would not even trade Goldschmidt for the entire Pirates team and their farm system. I am blown away this is even a discussion anywhere.

Goldschmidt should have won the MVP two years ago but the Diamondbacks were a .500 team so they gave it to McCutchen even though Goldschmidt's numbers blew his away. Then he was on pace for MVP last year before THE PIRATES hit him with a pitch and broke his hand. Now Goldschmidt is neck in neck with Harper for MVP this year. Oh yeah, let's trade a 27 year old perennial MVP candidate who is signed through 2019 for 32 million dollars and give him up for some highly rated prospects. Give me a break. It legitimately makes no sense why this is even an article. Plus the writer of the article actually had the gall to say Goldschmidt's best seasons are already behind him because he is 27. Are you crazy? He keeps getting better every year and is just entering his prime. This is only his fourth full season in the league. Why someone would ever think his best seasons are behind him is a joke. He ain't 37. He is 27. Sorry but some people have absolutely no business writing sports articles.

Yeah not happening.

But he's also not the most untouchable player in baseball so let's stop with that.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The commenters are much more realistic than whatever twat wrote the article

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans of almost evry team think they can trade for anyone.

In this case, the Pirates would have to send McCutcheon and 1 or 2 prospects. It wouldn't make sense for a team in the hunt to trade their best player and prospects. And as the OP said, why would Arizona do it?

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not happening.

But he's also not the most untouchable player in baseball so let's stop with that.

Name me someone more untouchable because I would not trade him for Trout or Harper. Do not forget that Goldschmidt is also a gold glover. Look at Goldschmidt's career numbers too. It is not like this year is a fluke. This is the third straight year he is having an MVP caliber season.

Trout's 2014 MVP season: .287 avg, 36 hr, 111 rbi, 115 r, 173 h, 83 bb, 184 so, 16 sb, .377 obp, .561 slg, .938 ops, silver slugger, hank aaron award, all-star game mvp

Goldschmidt's 2013 runner-up MVP season: .302 avg, 36 hr, 125 rbi, 103 r, 182 hits, 99 bb, 145 so, 15 sb, .401 obp, .551 slg, .952 ops, silver slugger, hank aaron award, gold glove

Goldschmidt's 2013 numbers are better than Trout's 2014 numbers across the board except for runs scored, one less stolen base, and .10 points less in slugging percentage. Goldschmidt had more hits, more walks, more rbi's, less strikeouts, higher batting average, higher obp, higher ops, and the gold glove. Keep in mind he did not win MVP which was a crime. MLB gave it to McCutchen who that year hit .317 and had only 21 hr and 84 rbi's. Goldschmidt had 15 more home runs and 41 more rbi's and did not win MVP. If you compare the stats, it should not have even been close. It was such a shame they gave it to McCutchen over Goldschmidt.

Goldschmidt was awesome again last year but missed the last 50 games or so because he broke his hand on a hbp. Fast forward to this year and he is on pace for one of the best seasons of all time. He is hitting .356 and has 19 hr, 57 rbi's, 55 bb, .474 obp, .656 slg, and 1.129 ops. Trout is hitting .304 and has 18 hr, and 41 rbi's, 33 bb, .386 obp, .581 slg, and .967 ops. Goldschmidt's overall numbers destroy Trout's so far this year.

On the other hand, Harper is having a near identical season to Goldschmidt. Both have 57 rbi's, 57 so, very high batting averages, nearly identical bb totals, virtually tied in every category except Harper has five more home runs while Goldschmidt has nine more stolen bases. The biggest difference though is this. This is Goldschmidt's third straight season of dominance while this is Harper's first. Harper never had anything close to the numbers he is putting up now prior to this season. He has also never played close to a full season besides his rookie year. In addition, I do not know if he is capable of winning the gold glove as well like Goldschmidt has.

So again I ask, who is more untouchable than Goldschmidt right now?

Last edited:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper and Trout will always be viewed as the top tier because they are barely old enough to drink and have all the potential in the world. Also the media is in their back pockets. Goldy is one of the top 5 players in the game but he plays for Arizona which never gets very much attention. You can guarantee if Goldy was in the AL East he would have an MVP on his mantle already and would be one of the most popular players in the league. People that know baseball know where Goldy stands in the pecking order, which is near the top. He is elite.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see lots of potential to rile up the D-backs fanbase in this thread

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name me someone more untouchable because I would not trade him for Trout or Harper. Do not forget that Goldschmidt is also a gold glover. Look at Goldschmidt's career numbers too. It is not like this year is a fluke. This is the third straight year he is having an MVP caliber season.

Trout's 2014 MVP season: .287 avg, 36 hr, 111 rbi, 115 r, 173 h, 83 bb, 184 so, 16 sb, .377 obp, .561 slg, .938 ops, silver slugger, hank aaron award, all-star game mvp

Goldschmidt's 2013 runner-up MVP season: .302 avg, 36 hr, 125 rbi, 103 r, 182 hits, 99 bb, 145 so, 15 sb, .401 obp, .551 slg, .952 ops, silver slugger, hank aaron award, gold glove

Goldschmidt's 2013 numbers are better than Trout's 2014 numbers across the board except for runs scored, one less stolen base, and .10 points less in slugging percentage. Goldschmidt had more hits, more walks, more rbi's, less strikeouts, higher batting average, higher obp, higher ops, and the gold glove. Keep in mind he did not win MVP which was a crime. MLB gave it to McCutchen who that year hit .317 and had only 21 hr and 84 rbi's. Goldschmidt had 15 more home runs and 41 more rbi's and did not win MVP. If you compare the stats, it should not have even been close. It was such a shame they gave it to McCutchen over Goldschmidt.

Goldschmidt was awesome again last year but missed the last 50 games or so because he broke his hand on a hbp. Fast forward to this year and he is on pace for one of the best seasons of all time. He is hitting .356 and has 19 hr, 57 rbi's, 55 bb, .474 obp, .656 slg, and 1.129 ops. Trout is hitting .304 and has 18 hr, and 41 rbi's, 33 bb, .386 obp, .581 slg, and .967 ops. Goldschmidt's overall numbers destroy Trout's so far this year.

On the other hand, Harper is having a near identical season to Goldschmidt. Both have 57 rbi's, 57 so, very high batting averages, nearly identical bb totals, virtually tied in every category except Harper has five more home runs while Goldschmidt has nine more stolen bases. The biggest difference though is this. This is Goldschmidt's third straight season of dominance while this is Harper's first. Harper never had anything close to the numbers he is putting up now prior to this season. He has also never played close to a full season besides his rookie year. In addition, I do not know if he is capable of winning the gold glove as well like Goldschmidt has.

Uhh trout is going on his 4th straight season of excellent MVP type numbers and he isn't even 24 yet. He's over 3 years younger. Harper is fucking 22 dude.

Sorry, but it's a goddamn asinine argument and one of the more homer things I've heard in a while if you think Goldy is the most untouchable.

The guy is a goddamn stud. But there are many players considerably younger doing similar things already.

Shit, Stanton is still only 25 for this entire season.

Let's please be objective.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O and regarding Harper. He plays outfield compared to first base.

And is currently one of the top defensive outfielders in WAR and may even still be leading all right fielders in defensive runs saved.

So yeah, please be objective. We know where your loyalties lie, buts time for being serious.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this happens with every fan base of a team that has shit the bed for a long time then suddenly gotten good.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Homerfesto.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper and Trout will always be viewed as the top tier because they are barely old enough to drink and have all the potential in the world. Also the media is in their back pockets. Goldy is one of the top 5 players in the game but he plays for Arizona which never gets very much attention. You can guarantee if Goldy was in the AL East he would have an MVP on his mantle already and would be one of the most popular players in the league. People that know baseball know where Goldy stands in the pecking order, which is near the top. He is elite.

I agree with that. Calling him the most untouchable player in baseball is homerific, though.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh trout is going on his 4th straight season of excellent MVP type numbers and he isn't even 24 yet. He's over 3 years younger. Harper is fucking 22 dude.

Sorry, but it's a goddamn asinine argument and one of the more homer things I've heard in a while if you think Goldy is the most untouchable.

The guy is a goddamn stud. But there are many players considerably younger doing similar things already.

Shit, Stanton is still only 25 for this entire season.

Let's please be objective.

But Goldschmidt won a gold glove two years ago!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One player's five years younger than the other.

Not to mention Trout's four years younger.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard from a good source that the Astros are interested in trading for him, too.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the article in question:

Trading the farm for Goldschmidt and Hamels sounds like a better idea than it probably actually is, even putting aside the potential difficulty of trading for Goldschmidt. (I'm not sure a GM who just sold Touki Toussaint to the Braves would be as enamored with the Pirates' prospects as we are, and there isn't much indication the D-backs would trade Goldschmidt anyway.) Goldschmidt and Hamels are great, but they're 27 and 31, respectively. They've probably already played their best seasons, and the Pirates would be up the creek without a paddle if they traded for those guys and then they declined or got hurt. Meanwhile, they've shown in recent years that they can get Russell Martin or A.J. Burnett or Francisco Liriano or Francisco Cervelli or Jung-Ho Kang for pennies on the dollar and have them make big impacts. I'm all for the Pirates being a bit more aggressive at the trade deadline, but I'm not sure these kinds of wild all-ins are good management. If your team needs to spend several years rebuilding, you (or your predecessor) probably did something wrong, or at least had some nasty luck.

I don't think it's unfair to say they've already played their best seasons. Goldschmidt's an elite player IMO, but he isn't sustaining the .356 BA. His BABIP is over .400 right now. And even with a career BABIP of .354, that's still a huge difference.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldschmidt's a great player, if Pittsburgh wants him they better be ready to say goodbye to Gerrit Cole and a few other guys.