• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies--Pirates game thread.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Galvis has put up decent numbers in the minors. I think he is capable of hitting .250 or better in the majors. However he will not get any real playing time next year. So allowing him to play in 8 or 9 games at the end of the season could produce decent results. His defense is outstanding and that is the key component for a shortstop. Consistent hitting is still a problem but not something he can't overcome with playing time and instruction. I will be rooting for him!

I'll be pulling for him as well. But I suspect his ceiling in the majors is as a utility player. Nothing wrong with that>> all good teams can use good utility guys...not guys like m. martinez or that mcdonald guy from last year.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's lineup would be more interesting and stronger if Asche was in at 3rd and Franco at first instead of Howard. That way we'd get a better look at the future.
1. Ben Revere, CF
2. Maikel Franco, 3B
3. Marlon Byrd, RF
4. Ryan Howard, 1B
5. Darin Ruf, LF
6. Carlos Ruiz, C
7. Cesar Hernandez, 2B
8. Freddy Galvis, SS
9. A.J. Burnett, P

Minus Burnett & Ruiz, I'm all in

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were GM, what would I have done? I've been writing it all along...after the loss in the 2011 division series, I would've started selling...maybe only gradually, but definitely started trading and looking to build. Also, I would not have signed all these guys to contracts in '12, '13, and '14....contracts that you wanted them to do...i.e.- ruiz, jroll, utley, etc. To me, after that NLDS, it was obvious that the run with this group was over.

"Hi Booben, this is Dave. I know you heard a few folks say we should do some selling this winter because of our loss to Frisco in the LCS after wacking Cincy 3-0 in the LDS. That's crap and don't listen to it. Roy, Cole, Cliff, and Vance went 61-26 with a .250 ERA. We had 713 runs and 153 homers, and a team OBP of .323. We'll win another 90+ games next year easily. Everyone on the team is healthy. We're like a fine wine. By the way, Booben, you're doing a great job since we hired you to take over for Pat in 2008, and we know you'll do what the owners and management want, and that is more winning seasons. We both know it would be crazy to bust up a team that's at the top of its game."

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hi Booben, this is Dave. I know you heard a few folks say we should do some selling this winter because of our loss to Frisco in the LCS after wacking Cincy 3-0 in the LDS. That's crap and don't listen to it. Roy, Cole, Cliff, and Vance went 61-26 with a .250 ERA. We had 713 runs and 153 homers, and a team OBP of .323. We'll win another 90+ games next year easily. Everyone on the team is healthy. We're like a fine wine. By the way, Booben, you're doing a great job since we hired you to take over for Pat in 2008, and we know you'll do what the owners and management want, and that is more winning seasons. We both know it would be crazy to bust up a team that's at the top of its game."

You're the only one who used the word "busted". I said "gradually" trade or sell off the parts when the right opportunity arose. You'd have to at least agree that at the end of the '11 season, most of the core guys would've carried a lot of value in potential trades. There is a point when you have to look ahead.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the only one who used the word "busted". I said "gradually" trade or sell off the parts when the right opportunity arose. You'd have to at least agree that at the end of the '11 season, most of the core guys would've carried a lot of value in potential trades. There is a point when you have to look ahead.

Not with Boobens there isn't. Obviously that is the problem which is what has been stated 1000Xs again on this and many other threads.:10:

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Bust up" was not the term I meant there; it was "some selling" as I said in the first line. But yeah, any team has to be prepared to transition from older players to younger gradually when it's clear a decline is there. After such a good year in 2011, I don't think anyone was on the block at that point though there was great value there for trading. Howard's 2 for 19 in the LCS was a bad omen but they were still riding high at that point. His big contract was signed early 2010, I believe. Who could blame them for going with the same team in 2012. No one dreamed that wins would decline by 21 games.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, no one could have imagined that the 2012 team ERA would have increased from 3.02 to 3.86. The Phils losses in 1-run games must have been huge that year. It then increased to 4.34 in '13. Holy shit!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bust up" was not the term I meant there; it was "some selling" as I said in the first line. But yeah, any team has to be prepared to transition from older players to younger gradually when it's clear a decline is there. After such a good year in 2011, I don't think anyone was on the block at that point though there was great value there for trading. Howard's 2 for 19 in the LCS was a bad omen but they were still riding high at that point. His big contract was signed early 2010, I believe. Who could blame them for going with the same team in 2012. No one dreamed that wins would decline by 21 games.

Actually Rollins and Utley have performed decently this year. Brown and Howard have hurt us. When we Lost Halladay things went down hill. Pitching needs improvement next season and possibly we could try a Sizemore/Ruff platoon in left field. At least the obp would increase. Howard needs to go at any cost and Franco should be playing 1srt base. Or we could move Asche to 2nd base and have Utley play 1st base. Franco then could play 3rd. No matter how you look at it Howard is the cog in the wheel.

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Rollins and Utley have performed decently this year. Brown and Howard have hurt us. When we Lost Halladay things went down hill. Pitching needs improvement next season and possibly we could try a Sizemore/Ruff platoon in left field. At least the obp would increase. Howard needs to go at any cost and Franco should be playing 1srt base. Or we could move Asche to 2nd base and have Utley play 1st base. Franco then could play 3rd. No matter how you look at it Howard is the cog in the wheel.

So what you're really writing is let's have another year like this year? Utley had a great April and a decent May, after that he has been crap, Jroll has been marginal at SS. Ruff does deserve more playing time, but what I've seen of him is just Ok...not overwhelming. This would have been a great year for him to have played since we have been out of it for most of the season. Sorry, but outside of a handful of young guys (Asche, Franco, Giles, and Diekman) this team needs a complete overhaul.

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're really writing is let's have another year like this year? Utley had a great April and a decent May, after that he has been crap, Jroll has been marginal at SS. Ruff does deserve more playing time, but what I've seen of him is just Ok...not overwhelming. This would have been a great year for him to have played since we have been out of it for most of the season. Sorry, but outside of a handful of young guys (Asche, Franco, Giles, and Diekman) this team needs a complete overhaul.

and by the way, this doesn't mean I'm saying trade everybody...what I'm saying is that everyone (except the 4 I mentioned) is available.