• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phantoms / Royals / NCAA / Juniors / Int'l

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

Samuel Morin: The size is there. The skill and skating have been coming along steadily. Although he is a good skater for such a big man, Morin has been working to correct some flaws in his footwork. In terms of hockey sense, the main challenge with him is sometimes to calm him down. While it is possible that he could have such a good training camp in September that he cracks the Flyers' NHL roster, it is more likely that Morin spends one additional season in the QMJHL. Ron Hextall has said repeatedly that he would rather err on the side of caution with player development. There is no such thing as being "too NHL ready" but there have been plenty of once-promising young players who have been ruined by being rushed to the NHL.

Travis Sanheim: The Flyers' 2014 first-round pick is already a fine skater and shows remarkable poise for a defenseman his age. The rest is raw, but the upside is very high. His frame needs to fill out. He needs to challenge himself to play more physically. His puck skills are good but he's only scratched the surface of his potential to push the offensive play. There are hints of above-average hockey sense.

Shayne Gostisbehere: The only thing Gostisbehere lacks is size, and his ability to handle big forwards in the defensive zone at the NHL level is the main question mark he faces as he enters his first full pro season. Phantoms coach Terry Murray has said that he wants to encourage Gostisbehere to take advantage of his speed and ability to push the offensive play. The trick will be knowing how to recover when he gets caught, which is tougher to do in the pro game than in college hockey. In terms of skating, shooting and passing the puck, Gostisbehere is the most refined of all Flyers defense prospects. There is a chance he could see time with the big club next season, but it appears the organization prefers that he at least starts the season in Lehigh Valley.

Robert Hägg: All the physical tools are there. The question with Hägg is how much he wants to challenge himself to elevate both halves of his two-way game. Over the last year, the defense came along a little further than the offensive game, but that was largely opportunity based. He has to have a better game plan for what he wants to do on each shift and find an identity as a player. I believe that Hägg's two-way ceiling is quite high but I also think his early path with Modo before coming to the NHL was that of a player who settles into the middle tier due to consistency issues. The main thing he needs to do as a Phantoms rookie next season is to start to find his identity as a defenseman.

Mark Alt: The big-framed Phantoms defenseman is probably not quite NHL ready but also not that far away. He is probably never going to put up many points but he has some mobility to offer and generally keeps things fairly simple.

Mark Friedman: The undersized defenseman was one of the top offensive blueliners in the USHL and also displayed a two-way game at that level. He skates well and has a heavy shot and is righthanded to boot. Friedman plays with a high degree of self-confidence, reminiscent of Gostisbehere. He is still raw, however, and will need seasoning in collegiate hockey (or major junior hockey, if things don't work out at Bowling Green for whatever reason).

Reece Willcox: One of the most overlooked prospects in the Philly system, Willcox has developed steadily at Cornell in the two years since the Flyers drafted him out of Junior A hockey. Good size, good mobility, good poise, good first pass ability. He lacks physicality and could stand to challenge himself to elevate the offensive end of his game. Nevertheless, as he approaches his junior year of college hockey, Willcox is very much on the right track.

Jesper "Pitbull" Pettersson: If he wasn't a 5-foot-9 defensive defenseman, he'd have been drafted two years ago. Pettersson plays with a high compete level and not only is not afraid of taking a hit to make a play, he likes to initiate it with his fireplug-like frame. Pettersson knows what he is and what he isn't; which means he keeps things simple with the puck. As a no-risk 7th round pick in this year's Draft, the 20-year-old Swede is an interesting dark horse.

Terrance Amorosa: Coming off a good season in the USHL that saw him develop at a slow-but-steady rate, Amorosa will be a freshman at Clarkson next season. He may need all four collegiate seasons but there are some interesting raw materials of a mobile two-way defenseman.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

Samuel Morin: The size is there. The skill and skating have been coming along steadily. Although he is a good skater for such a big man, Morin has been working to correct some flaws in his footwork. In terms of hockey sense, the main challenge with him is sometimes to calm him down. While it is possible that he could have such a good training camp in September that he cracks the Flyers' NHL roster, it is more likely that Morin spends one additional season in the QMJHL. Ron Hextall has said repeatedly that he would rather err on the side of caution with player development. There is no such thing as being "too NHL ready" but there have been plenty of once-promising young players who have been ruined by being rushed to the NHL.

Travis Sanheim: The Flyers' 2014 first-round pick is already a fine skater and shows remarkable poise for a defenseman his age. The rest is raw, but the upside is very high. His frame needs to fill out. He needs to challenge himself to play more physically. His puck skills are good but he's only scratched the surface of his potential to push the offensive play. There are hints of above-average hockey sense.

Shayne Gostisbehere: The only thing Gostisbehere lacks is size, and his ability to handle big forwards in the defensive zone at the NHL level is the main question mark he faces as he enters his first full pro season. Phantoms coach Terry Murray has said that he wants to encourage Gostisbehere to take advantage of his speed and ability to push the offensive play. The trick will be knowing how to recover when he gets caught, which is tougher to do in the pro game than in college hockey. In terms of skating, shooting and passing the puck, Gostisbehere is the most refined of all Flyers defense prospects. There is a chance he could see time with the big club next season, but it appears the organization prefers that he at least starts the season in Lehigh Valley.

Robert Hägg: All the physical tools are there. The question with Hägg is how much he wants to challenge himself to elevate both halves of his two-way game. Over the last year, the defense came along a little further than the offensive game, but that was largely opportunity based. He has to have a better game plan for what he wants to do on each shift and find an identity as a player. I believe that Hägg's two-way ceiling is quite high but I also think his early path with Modo before coming to the NHL was that of a player who settles into the middle tier due to consistency issues. The main thing he needs to do as a Phantoms rookie next season is to start to find his identity as a defenseman.

Mark Alt: The big-framed Phantoms defenseman is probably not quite NHL ready but also not that far away. He is probably never going to put up many points but he has some mobility to offer and generally keeps things fairly simple.

Mark Friedman: The undersized defenseman was one of the top offensive blueliners in the USHL and also displayed a two-way game at that level. He skates well and has a heavy shot and is righthanded to boot. Friedman plays with a high degree of self-confidence, reminiscent of Gostisbehere. He is still raw, however, and will need seasoning in collegiate hockey (or major junior hockey, if things don't work out at Bowling Green for whatever reason).

Reece Willcox: One of the most overlooked prospects in the Philly system, Willcox has developed steadily at Cornell in the two years since the Flyers drafted him out of Junior A hockey. Good size, good mobility, good poise, good first pass ability. He lacks physicality and could stand to challenge himself to elevate the offensive end of his game. Nevertheless, as he approaches his junior year of college hockey, Willcox is very much on the right track.

Jesper "Pitbull" Pettersson: If he wasn't a 5-foot-9 defensive defenseman, he'd have been drafted two years ago. Pettersson plays with a high compete level and not only is not afraid of taking a hit to make a play, he likes to initiate it with his fireplug-like frame. Pettersson knows what he is and what he isn't; which means he keeps things simple with the puck. As a no-risk 7th round pick in this year's Draft, the 20-year-old Swede is an interesting dark horse.

Terrance Amorosa: Coming off a good season in the USHL that saw him develop at a slow-but-steady rate, Amorosa will be a freshman at Clarkson next season. He may need all four collegiate seasons but there are some interesting raw materials of a mobile two-way defenseman.

This makes me feel really good

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes me feel really good

Agreed. My only concern is something someone else expressed in another post - can these guys make an impact while the forward core is still in their prime? I'm not talking about just making it to the NHL, but developing to their peak. The concern is that there are no real top 6 forward prospects in the system, so the young d-men need to peak while the existing young forwards are still within their own window of opportunity. Fortunately, with their best current top 6 forwards at ages 26, 25, 24 and 22, it's a definite possibility. They should have a 6-8 year window barring injuries and GM screw-ups.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pettersson signing is awesome. Sure he is an overager and may never play in the NHL, but to get a pro player immediately out of a 7th rounder is phenomenal. That is already a win

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pettersson signing is awesome. Sure he is an overager and may never play in the NHL, but to get a pro player immediately out of a 7th rounder is phenomenal. That is already a win

Yep - and I have a feeling he'll be with the Flyers at some point in the next few years - he plays a simple game and that's important

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - and I have a feeling he'll be with the Flyers at some point in the next few years - he plays a simple game and that's important

From the very little I know about him he is a shutdown guy, so I'm going to guess the smaller ice will suit him better.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
World Junior scrimmages/exhibitions/whatevers are happening right now. Sounds like Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim have all been good

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanheim and Morin will be paired together today

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanheim and Morin will be paired together today

you in a position to watch 4706? I might try to watch the replay this weekend, be curious to see what they look like on the ice together.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you in a position to watch 4706? I might try to watch the replay this weekend, be curious to see what they look like on the ice together.

I couldn't watch. Sounds like Morin took some penalties, but that is it. Haven't seen too much on twitter.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have come a long way. I remember when Cousins was one of our best prospects.

Very true. Just a quick reminder that Cousins was the player drafted with the 3rd round draft pick the Flyers received in the Carter trade. So, it was Carter for Voracek, Couturier and Cousins.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Just a quick reminder that Cousins was the player drafted with the 3rd round draft pick the Flyers received in the Carter trade. So, it was Carter for Voracek, Couturier and Cousins.

Even though the Kings have two cups since the I think we got the better of that deal with Columbus.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Carts has been better of late it could be argued that Jake straight up wouldn't have been a bad deal....throw in Couts and Cousins and that was a great trade by Homer.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Carts has been better of late it could be argued that Jake straight up wouldn't have been a bad deal....throw in Couts and Cousins and that was a great trade by Homer.

I'd argue Simmonds for Richards straight up would've been a good deal for the flyers too.