• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PGA...Glory's Last Stand

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay fellas...round 1 is in the books.

Some people crap on the PGA as being 4th fiddle, but I'm not sure what's wrong with being the 4th of 4...The Players would LOVE to have this slot. I've been to the PGA twice and while nothing compares to the Masters imo, but both times (Toms, Bradley) I thought the PGA of America did a great job with the course setup and both had great finishes

1st round notables.

Lee Westwood is sticking his nose in the major ring again tying for low medal on day one. Is it his time? Would be a nice story to see him close one out. Worst case...I think a strong finish nets him a spot on the RC team.

Kevin Chappell...a relative unknown on tour, but this guy has serious game as all these guys do...great college player, but the best we can say about him as a pro is he's making cuts and cashing some nice checks...doubtful he's up there on Sunday.

Ryan Palmer...not really a journeyman, he's won 3 times on Tour, but imo another guy that really has benefitted financially from playing in the Woods era...on the course now (even thru 4), we'll have to see about him.

Rory...the main man in golf right now...he's is shunning the McILROY era talk, which is a good thing, but he's playing with so much confidence...burned 3 edges coming home yesterday or he'd be on top by a couple...as it stands 1 back with a double on the card...bottomline...if he keeps hitting FWs with his driver, they can't tuck the pins from this guy...right where he needs to be.

Stenson...on the course, just joined the leaders @ -6...this is another guy with the firepower to hang with Rory...if he's on today I expect to see him near the lead Sunday.

Jim Furyk...the ultimate grinder...he'll continue to play his game and unless Rory just runs away he's going to hang around.

I'd be re missed not to mention these guys.

Phil...solid 1st round...on a soft track you know Phil will be flag hunting...if his driver is working he could shoot up the board today.

Tiger...being nice I'm going to say he's giving it the ole college try, back aside, his game is about as far away from winning (any tour) form as I've ever seen...if he can't surpass Watson today...I think would leave him home next month.

Enjoy it guys...last major of the year!

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay fellas...round 1 is in the books.

Some people crap on the PGA as being 4th fiddle, but I'm not sure what's wrong with being the 4th of 4...The Players would LOVE to have this slot. I've been to the PGA twice and while nothing compares to the Masters imo, but both times (Toms, Bradley) I thought the PGA of America did a great job with the course setup and both had great finishes

1st round notables.

Lee Westwood is sticking his nose in the major ring again tying for low medal on day one. Is it his time? Would be a nice story to see him close one out. Worst case...I think a strong finish nets him a spot on the RC team.

Kevin Chappell...a relative unknown on tour, but this guy has serious game as all these guys do...great college player, but the best we can say about him as a pro is he's making cuts and cashing some nice checks...doubtful he's up there on Sunday.

Ryan Palmer...not really a journeyman, he's won 3 times on Tour, but imo another guy that really has benefitted financially from playing in the Woods era...on the course now (even thru 4), we'll have to see about him.

Rory...the main man in golf right now...he's is shunning the McILROY era talk, which is a good thing, but he's playing with so much confidence...burned 3 edges coming home yesterday or he'd be on top by a couple...as it stands 1 back with a double on the card...bottomline...if he keeps hitting FWs with his driver, they can't tuck the pins from this guy...right where he needs to be.

Stenson...on the course, just joined the leaders @ -6...this is another guy with the firepower to hang with Rory...if he's on today I expect to see him near the lead Sunday.

Jim Furyk...the ultimate grinder...he'll continue to play his game and unless Rory just runs away he's going to hang around.

I'd be re missed not to mention these guys.

Phil...solid 1st round...on a soft track you know Phil will be flag hunting...if his driver is working he could shoot up the board today.

Tiger...being nice I'm going to say he's giving it the ole college try, back aside, his game is about as far away from winning (any tour) form as I've ever seen...if he can't surpass Watson today...I think would leave him home next month.

Enjoy it guys...last major of the year!

Nice recap ATL,

It's funny you brought up the 4th Major thing. I swear I saw a sign on the course yesterday that said.

"THIS IS A MAJOR" .....I was like, does the PGA have an inferiority complex or something that they need a sign to remind people this is a major.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

I can believe it.

It's strange how it slid to 4th when it was around long before the Masters, but the club pros, some less than stellar venues kind of dogged it for some period of time.

Obviously the USGA gets 1st dibs on any course in terms of the club members wanting to host it...It was kind of taboo to follow the USGA, but that seems to have changed a little (I see they're going to Beth Page soon and a few other sites the USGA has played)...plus being played so late in the summer limits some locations.

I've heard it somewhere and agree that the PGA should move around the world every 4th year...I know its the PGA of America, but imagine hosting it in Australia, Japan, Canada, South Africa, even Europe every 4th year...it will always be 4th fiddle, but I think it would put the PGA on a another level.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Masters has always been 4th fiddle to me. It's at the same course every year obviously instead of a rotation and the guys who run it are just so smug. And they don't even let the guys keep the jackets.

But Rory's on another level right now. He finally broke out and won one and he's been lights out ever since. Every time he's had a huge setback (collapse at Augusta, people wondering if the gear switch was going to work) he's come back and taken it to another level focus-wise.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Masters has always been 4th fiddle to me. It's at the same course every year obviously instead of a rotation and the guys who run it are just so smug. And they don't even let the guys keep the jackets.

But Rory's on another level right now. He finally broke out and won one and he's been lights out ever since. Every time he's had a huge setback (collapse at Augusta, people wondering if the gear switch was going to work) he's come back and taken it to another level focus-wise.

Blasphemy!!! Augusta is hollowed ground.

Did you realize that the people who run Augusta insist that 56 minutes of every hour has to be dedicated to golf coverage, leaving only 4 minutes of commercials an hour.

What other venues of a major sport event would give up that move ad revenue so that the fans could see more sports action.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blasphemy!!! Augusta is hollowed ground.

Did you realize that the people who run Augusta insist that 56 minutes of every hour has to be dedicated to golf coverage, leaving only 4 minutes of commercials an hour.

What other venues of a major sport event would give up that move ad revenue so that the fans could see more sports action.

I know it's blasphemy. It's a great test but I think every major should be on a rotation. And there was one year they didn't have any commercials at all. I just can't stand elitist institutions.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the deal with the cut line? They are showing it at even, which is only top 52. At +1, only 67 would make it. I thought in general top 70 make it. :scratch:

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger has imploded, I would be shocked if he doesn't WD at the turn

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just seeing the scoring online. How does he look physically? Hobbled & limping again? :rollseyes:

Just started watching myself as he bogeyed the 7th. I believe I heard one of the commentators say he was visibly in pain/grimacing at one point this round.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just started watching myself as he bogeyed the 7th. I believe I heard one of the commentators say he was visibly in pain/grimacing at one point this round.

He's like Frosted Mini-Wheats:

The egomaniac-side in him won't let him quit, but the sugar coated whiner in him won't allow him to continue... :pound:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4th...you're not in that boat alone...but you have plenty of elbow room.

Same course...but boy what a course...one visit and I think you might eliminate that one...when pros win on the PGAT, the 1st thing they think about is that invite...that's pretty telling.

AN...yeah I agree they are an arrogant bunch, but that's more with their club and being private I can deal with that...but they don't take to the tournament...everything is geared to Joe public...TV viewing, prices are very reasonable once you're in the gate. They could easily charge 3 times what they do now and people would still spend.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one guy right now that has the game to give Rory a run for his money ..even at the level he is playing at is Jason Day. Oddly enough he is also another high ball hitter. The highest on tour as per a announcer yesterday. And he is also in the top 20 or so in driving distance.

His thumb seems to be fine and he look pretty dialed in.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really hope either phil or rory run away with it today. I would be sweet to see Rory win since he just won a few weeks ago

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been a great third round at Valhalla, back and forth, everyone in contention

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is turning out to be one of the most exciting Major tournaments in a while. 15 players within 3 shots of the lead.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is turning out to be one of the most exciting Major tournaments in a while. 15 players within 3 shots of the lead.

Sure is. But it has to be killing the networks right now that with all of those great names right at the top and Bernd Wiesberger gets in the last pairing with Rory.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could this be another David & Goliath PGA?

Really with so many names of note in the hunt it probably won't hurt to have an unknown in the final group...Fowler just missed 3 birdie putts yesterday...swinging great, that pairing with Phil should be a good one and also Day & Oosty.

Admittedly idk much about Ilonen but I think the contender kinda stop at him and Palmer...the -8 guys would have to come out smoking....-16 I think is what is will take.

I still think if Rory is hitting FWs with that driver (funny how Tiger can't hit the dinky Nike stuff) he's going to be hard to be, but if he sprays a few...dbl bogey is out there if you don't make a great recovery shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. This is shaping up to be a classic finish with so many in contention. Fowler's on fire right now.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil's got the putter going. I think that 17 under is going to win it today.