• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PGA Championship

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it goes hand in hand with this gambling-based obsession with constantly predicting the winner. No matter the lead, no tournament is over after the first two days.

Of course you can find examples of someone extending a big lead but there's as many who folded and lost big leads.

That much is true...probably more big leads have been lost than extended....and no tournament is ever over after 36 holes...I'm just not sure what else the media has to harp on in a situation like that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks score card 11-18

Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Par, Par, Bogey, Par.

Yea, very very tough conditions, no question.
But you can't tell me a closing stretch like that is all "conditions"

I think when he kept going left off the tee, for a fader, I could sense that something wasn't quite right early (before the wind kicked up). He wouldn't have been at -12 if he had been playing from the rough very much the previous 3 days...eventually it caught him and started putting pressure on his par putts on the back 9 and he started missing.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a combo of trying to sit on a lead and course difficulty/conditions. You see it all the time in basketball or football with teams up 20 and they sit on a lead/ go into prevent D. In this case it’s a very difficult golf course where the scores will tell you the same.

You change that mentality and a little bad momentum creeps in, sometimes it’s hard to get off the bogey train. Good thing is he didn’t lose

There are many variables at play here

and a little bad momentum creeps in :thumb:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not anymore than people anywhere else. Their assholes are just more vocal and much louder.

a968c31a50d401483e51af9e8970340fe69f7b84.jpeg

Sorry about the political lean in the golf forum... It's just so appropriate I couldn't resist.
Go to the political forum.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your mentality goes from aggressive badass to “I got a lead” and let’s play conservative that’s a big change. If you are going to change your mentality then yeah might be a good idea to hit more irons or 3 woods to hit fairway. But at the end of the day a great golfer is going to make his way around the course with clubs he feels confident in especially off the tee.

But that change in mentality can get you especially on a really difficult golf course.

At the end of the day, Brooks is back to back PGA champ

I think there are too schools of thought playing with a big lead...one, pedal to the medal and widen the gap. The other is you start trying to not make mistakes and you're steering it with both hands on the wheel.

From the 1st tee, Brooks was missing left...for a fader, that's not good so there were some nerves churning inside that quiet exterior, but I agree, one the wind picked up, the course became the show and Koepka did a good job of getting it in the house with the lead.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are too schools of thought playing with a big lead...one, pedal to the medal and widen the gap. The other is you start trying to not make mistakes and you're steering it with both hands on the wheel.

From the 1st tee, Brooks was missing left...for a fader, that's not good so there were some nerves churning inside that quiet exterior, but I agree, one the wind picked up, the course became the show and Koepka did a good job of getting it in the house with the lead.
I thought he was going to blow it. I didn't expect Johnson to get within a stroke with three holes to go and then completely collapse.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a combo of trying to sit on a lead and course difficulty/conditions. You see it all the time in basketball or football with teams up 20 and they sit on a lead/ go into prevent D. In this case it’s a very difficult golf course where the scores will tell you the same.

You change that mentality and a little bad momentum creeps in, sometimes it’s hard to get off the bogey train. Good thing is he didn’t lose

There are many variables at play here
He got a little to cocky perhaps. With a 7-shot lead he could have started hitting irons off the tee, but then it is his confidence in himself which makes him so good so I'm not surprised he continued to think he could correct the driver. I hope he, or Mickelson, win the U.S. Open

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born in late 1970s so yeah it’s been in August as far back as I can remember
I'll never forget when Sergio Garcia had the yips and kept gripping and re-gripping his club and couldn't hit a shot last time they were at Beth Page and you could hear fans screaming "Hit the ball Sergio" in their effed up New York accents. It was funny. The stuff they pulled on Koepka was weak though.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m a fader. Sometimes you get to the range and you’re hitting a draw out of nowhere. It happens. You can’t just chalk it all on nerves. Everyone has nerves and it’s always at play. This is the 2-time reining US Open champ
here where the greens are table tops and rough is brutal.

Hitting it left could mean a lot of things. Hands releasing too much, too early. Maybe he was taking it inside slightly on his takeaway. Maybe his transition at the top was quick and not crisp. Or maybe his right hand was just too strong.

Playing with a lead like that ain’t easy and there so many variables at play. Honestly the dude might have actually been too relaxed — he’s won back
to back PGAs and US Open.. lol he’s been there before. Loosey Goosey is actually better to move the ball left cuz you’re getting thru quick with your hands VS hanging on tight with that left hand and hitting a fade for a righty

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a fader. Sometimes you get to the range and you’re hitting a draw out of nowhere. It happens. You can’t just chalk it all on nerves. Everyone has nerves and it’s always at play. This is the 2-time reining US Open champ
here where the greens are table tops and rough is brutal.

Hitting it left could mean a lot of things. Hands releasing too much, too early. Maybe he was taking it inside slightly on his takeaway. Maybe his transition at the top was quick and not crisp. Or maybe his right hand was just too strong.

Playing with a lead like that ain’t easy and there so many variables at play. Honestly the dude might have actually been too relaxed — he’s won back
to back PGAs and US Open.. lol he’s been there before. Loosey Goosey is actually better to move the ball left cuz you’re getting thru quick with your hands VS hanging on tight with that left hand and hitting a fade for a righty

Why do you keep mentioning U.S. Opens and last year's PGA? We're talking about what happened yesterday.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a fader. . Loosey Goosey is actually better to move the ball left cuz you’re getting thru quick with your hands VS hanging on tight with that left hand and hitting a fade for a righty

I hit a power fade..some call it a slice, but power fade sounds much better.

I'm going to try relaxing that left hand a little more and see if i can draw the ball. I do have a tendency to grip too tight and that does result in a slice...I mean power fade. My thought at the top of the back swing is relax the hands, but i think there are times I clamp down before impact.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four Majors in two years?

Wow, this guy is a badass.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at some of you expecting these guys to be machines and have no struggle in a 4 round major

2 guys finished better than -2 here.