• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Manning Thread Revisited

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the FO and Harbs did a great job this last yr, this yr is where they will make their money or not. Gonna be a lot of tough decisions this offseason. It's gonna be interesting.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather trade our entire draft for Andrew Luck than pay Manning. You can get Luck cheaper and he will be around a lot longer. That said both would be risk. Luck could end up worst than Alex Smith and Manning could end up taking a career ending hit on that that neck.

And don't compare a shoulder injury to a neck injury. A neck injury is far more serious.

Yes a neck injury is far more serious but a injury to the throwing shoulder can end or ruin a quarterbacks career just as quick. Chad Pennington would be a good example.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Assuming health isn't an issue than there is no question you go after him.

Healthy he has probably 3 good years in the tank and the way this team is setup that could be 2 Super Bowls

As far as his price goes I wouldn't be quick to assume he's going to want an outrageous amount of money.

It's all going to come down to how badly he wants a Super Bowl ring and how important legacy is to him. At this stage in his career I think legacy is going to be more important than money especially with all this talk of Eli being the better Manning now. So the easy choice of what team gives you the best chance to win one or two rings before you call it quits would be the 49ers.

With our defense, adding a WR or two in the draft, along with what we already have on offense, and add a health Manning to the mix this team instantly becomes extremely scary.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes a neck injury is far more serious but a injury to the throwing shoulder can end or ruin a quarterbacks career just as quick. Chad Pennington would be a good example.

Alex has played on that shoulder for 2 and half years now I don't see it even being an issue anymore.

Manning went from everyone thinking he would start day one to he would miss a few games to missing the whole year. He is still not cleared to play either. I'm sure he will eventually get cleared, but that neck injury is of far more concern than a 3 year old shoulder injury.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning would be a great addition, but I don't think the 49ers could win a bidding war for him without sacrificing other needs like WRs who can get open. The 49ers best chance is if he looks at how good the defense was and decides that he likes the idea of only needing to score 17 points to win games.

If he cares about his offensive stats, Arizona might be more appealing with Fitzgerald. I'm sure the Jets are interested, but I'd have to wonder if Peyton really wants to be at the center of Manning VS Manning in the NY media.

I think there is a chance Manning would not cost 20 million dollars. That is his pricetag for the Colts because after 13 years of filling their seats and selling their merchandise, he deserves 20 million a year. For his new team, he'll probably play for 12-13 million... it's a fair price, plus he'd be using a team like the 49ers to change his legacy from choker to GOAT... the way Elway remade his legacy with two SuperBowls to close out his career.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning would be a great addition, but I don't think the 49ers could win a bidding war for him without sacrificing other needs like WRs who can get open. The 49ers best chance is if he looks at how good the defense was and decides that he likes the idea of only needing to score 17 points to win games.

If he cares about his offensive stats, Arizona might be more appealing with Fitzgerald. I'm sure the Jets are interested, but I'd have to wonder if Peyton really wants to be at the center of Manning VS Manning in the NY media.

I think there is a chance Manning would not cost 20 million dollars. That is his pricetag for the Colts because after 13 years of filling their seats and selling their merchandise, he deserves 20 million a year. For his new team, he'll probably play for 12-13 million... it's a fair price, plus he'd be using a team like the 49ers to change his legacy from choker to GOAT... the way Elway remade his legacy with two SuperBowls to close out his career.

Manning might not get to name his price. He is signed to long term contract and the Colts don't have to release him. Even if they do he would have to pass through waivers first.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd rather trade our entire draft for Andrew Luck than pay Manning. You can get Luck cheaper and he will be around a lot longer. That said both would be risk. Luck could end up worst than Alex Smith and Manning could end up taking a career ending hit on that that neck.

And don't compare a shoulder injury to a neck injury. A neck injury is far more serious.

Wow. That sure is a gross blanket statement you closed on there. I imagine you would have a hard time finding an athlete that would prefer to tear his labrum to strain his Levator Scapulae.

But then again, a neck injury is far more serious.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Manning might not get to name his price. He is signed to long term contract and the Colts don't have to release him. Even if they do he would have to pass through waivers first.

No he wouldn't.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's like I said in the first post... it will be far cheaper for the Colts to just let him go and cut him. He will get to name his price if he that happens. And all signs are pointing to him being gone. The team has started moving on like he isn't going to be part of the team. Already said they will draft luck, they are firing everybody who has been there with Manning. It looks to me like they are in not so much rebuild mode, but remodel mode.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Published: Jan. 27, 2012 at 03:02 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 27, 2012 at 03:11 p.m.
NFL.com

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay and quarterback Peyton Manning say there are no hard feelings between them.

A day after Manning told The Indianapolis Star that he and Irsay "owe it to each other and to the fans" to deal with their public spat "appropriately and professionally," the two took the somewhat unusual step of issuing a joint statement through the team on Friday.

"We would like to dispel any misperception that there might be any hard feelings between us," it read.

"Since 1998, we have enjoyed a great relationship, based upon mutual respect and trust. We have always been able to talk and address matters we've faced over the years, not just as owner and player, but as friends. We had a long talk today and we want to assure Colts fans everywhere that we are both committed to maintaining our close relationship and to working together through any challenges the future may bring."

On Thursday, Irsay called Manning a "politician" and expressed irritation that the quarterback had discussed his concerns about team morale in the media rather than dealing with them in-house.

Though Irsay and Manning might have cleared the air via the press release, the future of the four-time NFL MVP with the Colts is still in doubt. The Colts have to decide whether to pay the quarterback, who missed all of the regular season after having neck surgery, a $28 million bonus or let him leave via free agency.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no way that Harbaugh will bring in Manning; his ego won't allow it. Manning calls his own plays and his strength is seeing the defense at the line and calling or changing plays as the situation dictates. Harbaugh wants to control ever facet of the offense. Not a chance he and Manning could co-exist

anythingispossible

Dangling Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton knows what is going on. It's the same scenario fire everybody and draft the number one quarterback that's how he became a Colt. I look for him to go to a big market team Jets, Washington, Miami and yes possibly San Francisco. Of course all of this depends on if the nerves in his neck regenerate.

Texas9erFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been against Peyton becoming a Niner and still am. I think he'd be expensive and would leave us cash strapped for adding other FA to the roster. Besides, it would feel too much like trying to buy a Superbowl instead of building through the draft. It'd be much sweeter if we got there with Smitty or Kaepernick. Manning is a Colt. He'll always be a Colt. I also don't think he and Harbaugh would work well together.

That said, the Niners are his best chance of winning a SB before he retires. If he doesn't charge an outrageous amount of money, and values that chance to win a SB more, he very well could come to S.F.

I'm kinda at a point where I believe this is the most likely scenario. Of all the teams mentioned as potential suitors for Peyton, the Niners represent his best chance at winning a SB. It's really all about the money.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no way that Harbaugh will bring in Manning; his ego won't allow it. Manning calls his own plays and his strength is seeing the defense at the line and calling or changing plays as the situation dictates. Harbaugh wants to control ever facet of the offense. Not a chance he and Manning could co-exist

Manning would be a third OC on this team...Not going to happen.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How is it no one is mentioning that Peyton Manning replaced Jim Harbaugh in Indianapolis? Harbaugh's name is in the rafters there and he was traded so the Colts could draft Peyton. I just don't see Harbaugh allowing Alex Smith to be let go for Peyton.

I also don't see Manning sitting well with Vic Fangio. Remember, Fangio was fired in Indianapolis and essentially blamed for their 6-10 season in 2001 despite Manning having one of the worst years of his career.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can people please stop naming his injury as the reason they don't wanna sign Peyton? I'm sure he'll go throw numberous physicals and tests before I team gives him a contract.

You think there is a test that will say that Manning's neck won't be an issue?

The neck is about 5th on my list of reasons why I don't want the guy in SF but it is there.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton is my favorite player in the league right now. "If" he's healthy there is nobody else i would rather have. He's not only a great mind, but a great football player and a great leader.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton is my favorite player in the league right now. "If" he's healthy there is nobody else i would rather have. He's not only a great mind, but a great football player and a great leader.

Isn't Harbaugh our great leader?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For now, Miami is the favorite for Manning

Adam Schefter answers reader questions in his mailbag twice a week. Got a query of your own?

Q: With the Super Bowl now over, talk this offseason will surely focus on Peyton Manning. Where do you think he will land? Any chance that he goes to Minnesota or San Francisco?
-- Herbert (Iowa)​

A: No, Herbert, Minnesota and San Francisco will not be in play. Remember, Manning will pick his team even more than it will pick him. Minnesota can't offer as much as other teams, and San Francisco will not pursue Manning when it wants to re-sign Alex Smith. The team that is the favorite in my mind to land Manning is Miami. The Dolphins can offer warm weather and a favorable contract, and the team has been screaming for a franchise quarterback since Dan Marino left. Make Miami the favorite for now. But we've already seen what being a favorite meant to New England in this Super Bowl.
--Adam Schefter