• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pettigrew a trade target?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I dislike the job Mayhew has done he had to be given credit for trades. Houston at the time was a good deal from Atlanta. And fleecing Jerry for Roy Williams was great. Problem is he followed that up with bad picks and bad contracts but at the time he did some good trades.

As for what Pettigrew if Johnson was worth basically a 5th then Pettigrew should be worth at least a 4th.

I would be shocked And ecstatic if they got a fourth.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team in their right mind would give a 4th or a 5th rounder for a $4 mil a year blocking TE.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for what Pettigrew if Johnson was worth basically a 5th then Pettigrew should be worth at least a 4th.
I'm sorry, but I don't think you are even in the realm of reality.

How does a 5 time pro bowler go for a 4th and a 5th ( still too much IMO) and then a zero time pro bowler with 10 catches last year net a 4th?

If it's a 4th rounder it will be in the 2020 draft.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team in their right mind would give a 4th or a 5th rounder for a $4 mil a year blocking TE.

Absolutely correct but to suggest otherwise is bashing poor Mayhew.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How does a 5 time pro bowler go for a 4th and a 5th ( still too much IMO) and then a zero time pro bowler with 10 catches last year net a 4th?

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Pettigrew is not worth a 4th in any draft anymore, so I'd wait 5 years for that payoff. It would be a nice little surprise because most of us would probably have forgot all about it by then.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO would everyone think much less of Ozzie Newsome and much more of Mayhew if Baltimore coughs up a 4th?

Or even a 5th for that matter?

Last edited:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO would everyone think much less of Ozzie Newsome and much more of Mayhew if Baltimore coughs up a 4th?

Or even a 5th for that matter?
I'd trade a fourth rounder for Pettigrew if I were Ozzie.

I just hope Mayhew doesn't take it when Ozzie offers it up.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew basically traded Roy Williams for Brandon Pettigrew. The other two picks he got in that trade were used on WR Derek Williams and RB Aaron Brown.

Not quite the steal it's made out to be when you look at it closer.
WOW!

I hadn't really thought about where those picks were used in years. And to think, that trade is usually propped up as one of the best things in the Mayhew Era. Even if they don't trade Pettigrew and he goes back to being Staffs safety valve, that first move of Mayhew's still isn't much to be proud of.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Ravens had to cut Ngata or trade him. So they got something for him. Whats Ngata this year 8.5 million? Pettigrew is 4 million and he is signed for a few more seasons. 4th is a reality for the guy. He pass all around game and the bottom line is what else is their on the market?

This isn't a deep TE draft if their is such a thing.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Pettigrew is used against Mayhew as a bad pick and a bad contract, but trading him for a pick would also make Mayhew an idiot.

As per the original post? Trade him if he's going to be used in that same role as last year- he's not worth that kind of salary as a blocker. If they actually plan to use him in the passing game? Maybe only trade him for a 5th or higher then, because he's pretty decent in that role...

Pettigrew is a basic all purpose TE. I can't bash the guy because I think the Lions misuse him. At one point in time he was a target and put up pretty good numbers. All of a sudden the Lions management don't like the fact he drops balls then go out and draft a TE known for dropping passes???????

In retrospect I would not use a 1st on him but at the time it seemed like a good move. He is still playing and Roy Williams is out of football. IMO if Pettigrew was on the Packers he would be a much different player. The point where Mayhew blew it IMO is when he signed him to his new contract and then drafted Ebron. While all along having Fauria on the roster.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie is a decent GM. IMO had he had Pettigrew on his radar. Then why not just get him in the trade of Ngata? Then figure out pick compensation from there.

I see a guy who is like a Twentyman for the Ravens and ESPN answering a mail bag question with his opinion. More I think about this... I don't see that Ozzie was thinking this at all.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie is a decent GM

pretty sure he was rated #1 overall according to my memory on the link provided by Rob.

be lucky to see a 6th rd pick in a trade for Petti-poops, IMO. but Lions posters usually expect higher round picks from their teams player's in a possible trade than what they should get, JMHO.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW!

I hadn't really thought about where those picks were used in years. And to think, that trade is usually propped up as one of the best things in the Mayhew Era. Even if they don't trade Pettigrew and he goes back to being Staffs safety valve, that first move of Mayhew's still isn't much to be proud of.

Sorry, but they are 2 separate transactions. Obtaining the picks and drafting are completely different. As usual Mayhew made a great trade and horrible draft picks. That's been his history all along.

Combining them just to hate Mayhew is a stretch even for you guys.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Pettigrew is used against Mayhew as a bad pick and a bad contract, but trading him for a pick would also make Mayhew an idiot.

A writer could post a story about Mayhew trading his turkey sandwich during lunch to Lombardi for his meatball sub, and the same handful of posters would somehow tie that into drafting Best, Leshoure, Young, and Broyles.

As per the original post? Trade him if he's going to be used in that same role as last year- he's not worth that kind of salary as a blocker. If they actually plan to use him in the passing game? Maybe only trade him for a 5th or higher then, because he's pretty decent in that role...

Pettigrew pick made some sense at the time he made it. Signing him to 4 million per season after he proved no YAC ability, poor hands and an innate ability to fumble in key situations was downright Millensque. Doing that and then drafting another TE? Please try to explain the other side of the coin on those two decisions.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th is a reality for the guy. He pass all around game and the bottom line is what else is their on the market?

Agree to disagree (in a big, big way) on this one. IMO he isn't even close to being worth that value.

He plays an undervalued position. His recent history is a pathetic 10 catch year. We used him as a blocking TE despite being a team weighted to the passing game. There is not a single thing that positions him as a player of value that would get even close to that value.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but they are 2 separate transactions. Obtaining the picks and drafting are completely different. As usual Mayhew made a great trade and horrible draft picks. That's been his history all along.

What good are draft picks if you use them on a RB that never played and a receiver that sucks total ass?(I still like BP though)

That's like getting a steal of a deal on some six figure art forgery.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, there's no way in hell pettigrew goes for a fourth.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jerry Jones is in love with Big 12 players, always has been. He probably threw those picks at Mayhew. Would have done the same with any GM who had Roy. Just wait until Jerry trades for AP. Mayhew had nothing to do w that trade. That was 100% Jerry being Jerry.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm..Pettigrew is worth a fourth. Its not about what he did last season, it comes down to his ability, how a team plans to use him and what the market is like. Baltimore could trade a fourth and be gaining a decent starter while the Lions would be looking ay a developmental guy or something with that pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still not seeing what is so valuable about a 4th and 5th round pick unless youre just a terrible team with no talent. I'd rather have those picks instead of hoping they pan out but I would take a proven player for those picks any day. Thats a great way to fill a need.

If Pettigrew leaves for a fourth, I wouldn't be happy. I still feel like he could do a lot of damage underneath.