• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pettigrew a trade target?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrew won't be traded. He's the best TE on the team. Need him to block in the running game, and Stafford needs that security blanket to cut down on sacks.

The writer says it makes sense, but it doesn't.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Mayhew is the idiot you say he is, it makes perfect sense.

He was used primarily as a blocker. Mike Williams was being groomed to develop into a tackle. So he has gotten bigger I'm sure and was used as a blocking TE at Bama anyway. Slap a 80something on him instead Of 70 number and roll with it.

Not saying it will work at all. Does free up space on the cap and he seems a little expensive to be a only a blocker. Mike Williams not ready, then surely a big TE can be had to block in late rounds.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions have problems at TE? Somehow I can't figure that out........Don't we have a few #1 TE draft picks on the roster?.......

It took us 4 years of drafting WRs before Calvin stuck........Maybe a few more years drafting TE's we can get one of those to stick.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Pettigrew get a 4 year contract extension this past March?
Yeah.

After Balmer tried to sign him away.

Id trade Joe Fauria for the loose change between Ozzie Newsome's couch cushions. But Id rather not see BP traded.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem trading a TE only the used to block. Lombardi has plans on using him again, then sure they should keep him. Otherwise paying him 3.8/4.6/5.3 the next three years would be typical of the front office for a blocker.

I do not see him getting paid his 2017 salary anyway, and maybe next season neither.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem trading a TE only the used to block. Lombardi has plans on using him again, then sure they should keep him. Otherwise paying him 3.8/4.6/5.3 the next three years would be typical of the front office for a blocker.

I do not see him getting paid his 2017 salary anyway, and maybe next season neither.

I think many of us are saying the same thing. 5 mil a year is a lot for a guy we hardly use. Use it or lose it. Trade if he is not a major part of the game plan and sign a FA O-lineman with that money. We can always draft a blocking TE in the later rounds.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be just like Mayhew to help out the same team that just tampered with them. Pettigrew would be a beast in Baltimore. Trade Lombardi to Kroger for an 8 piece fried chicken.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they would want Ebron?:dhd:

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:
It would be just like Mayhew to help out the same team that just tampered with them. Pettigrew would be a beast in Baltimore. Trade Lombardi to Kroger for an 8 piece fried chicken.

Damn right. Gave that statement a winner rating.

Somebody was on here saying that maybe Millenhew didn't want to pursue the tampering charges cause it might hurt future dealings with them :pound: Did you mean like this? Mayhew is going to get schooled again. We don't want to pay Pettigrew cause that contract is ridiculous for what they have made his role become.

Clueless Caldwell will trade one of his "foundation" players? I love it, this group doesn't know what's going on amongst themselves. :crazy:

What do you think the Lions will get for him? The miracle of all miracles would be if he got our 5th rd pick back. That is the absolute ceiling on that trade IMO. I am not sure you could even get a 6th given his contract, nothing production last year, and a lack of leverage since teams will know that he is a very likely cut after this season. His current value is at his career low.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:
Mayhew is going to get schooled again. We don't want to pay Pettigrew cause that contract is ridiculous for what they have made his role become.

What do you think the Lions will get for him? The miracle of all miracles would be if he got our 5th rd pick back. That is the absolute ceiling on that trade IMO.

As much as I dislike the job Mayhew has done he had to be given credit for trades. Houston at the time was a good deal from Atlanta. And fleecing Jerry for Roy Williams was great. Problem is he followed that up with bad picks and bad contracts but at the time he did some good trades.

As for what Pettigrew if Johnson was worth basically a 5th then Pettigrew should be worth at least a 4th.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew basically traded Roy Williams for Brandon Pettigrew. The other two picks he got in that trade were used on WR Derek Williams and RB Aaron Brown.

Not quite the steal it's made out to be when you look at it closer.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew basically traded Roy Williams for Brandon Pettigrew. The other two picks he got in that trade were used on WR Derek Williams and RB Aaron Brown.

Not quite the steal it's made out to be when you look at it closer.

I am not looking at the players drafted but the picks he got. He ripped of Jerry than bought magic beans. But at least he did fleece Jerry.

Same way he got Houston.....just a great deal but then ended up giving him a big contract and cutting him 1 year into it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not looking at the players drafted but the picks he got. He ripped of Jerry than bought magic beans. But at least he did fleece Jerry.

Same way he got Houston.....just a great deal but then ended up giving him a big contract and cutting him 1 year into it.

So basically, Mayhew is the guy who gets a brand new Corvette at auction for 40k under sticker, then proceeds to gun it off the highway and into the woods at 100mph, totaling it ten minutes later.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, Mayhew is the guy who gets a brand new Corvette at auction for 40k under sticker, then proceeds to gun it off the highway and into the woods at 100mph, totaling it ten minutes later.

No he would put green shag carpet and trolls on the dash. Put in another 15k of extras and be forced to sell it for 10K. After saying how great and he would like to keep it forever even though the insurance was breaking him.

But I could also see you analogy.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine getting much for him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Pettigrew is used against Mayhew as a bad pick and a bad contract, but trading him for a pick would also make Mayhew an idiot.

A writer could post a story about Mayhew trading his turkey sandwich during lunch to Lombardi for his meatball sub, and the same handful of posters would somehow tie that into drafting Best, Leshoure, Young, and Broyles.

As per the original post? Trade him if he's going to be used in that same role as last year- he's not worth that kind of salary as a blocker. If they actually plan to use him in the passing game? Maybe only trade him for a 5th or higher then, because he's pretty decent in that role...