• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peter king giving us some love...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are going to beat the Packers we are going to have to find a way to get pressure on Rodgers and force him to make mistakes while limiting our own. There are so many weapons on that offense, but i do feel like we have the personnel to get it done. We know we can stuff their run game, but we really haven't faced a great passing attack (other than Stafford) and we held up well. We will need their Defense to make mistakes and keep Rodgers off the field if we are going to have success against them. Also, playing Green Bay in Jan. is one of the toughest things to do. Finding a way for us to get the number 1 seed would be clutch.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Still a lot of time left in this season. The Packers are hot now..but can they keep that up going into the playoffs?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Obviously the Packers would be favored but we do actually match up well with them. Everyone is hung up on out scoring the Packers but if you look deeper I don't think that's necessarily the case.

For starters The Packers D is in the bottom 10 when it comes to rushing YDS/A. That means it's possible to effectively run on them and control the clock. Which is vital because it keeps GB's offense off the field and limits scoring chances. Keeping with the limiting scoring chances theme we simply don't turn the ball over that much.

So offensively we might not win a shootout against them but we might not need to either.

Defensively the key for us is that we can generate pressure with just our front guys. This is vital because disrupts Rodgers while at the same time allowing us to commit guys to coverage and limit his options under pressure. This is actually how the Giants were able to beat the vaunted Patriots offense in 07 and even yesterday.

Really you can apply this same logic to the Saints also but even moreso since their run defense is flat out terrible and they are as explosive as the Packers.

I'm not so much concerned with that as with how I think the defense will struggle against a great passing team. The 49ers don't put much pressure on the passer and the Pack are strong at every pass-catching position. They will exploit that mild pass rush and lack of speed in the secondary with those talented receivers and the best QB the game has seen in a while.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Great point; I, for one, say no.

I dont either. I'd much rather be the team that gets hot at the end of the season and goes into the playoffs that way.

On a side note to this, last year I wanted the Packers in over the Giants so bad because GB was getting hot and New York was fizzling out after that Eagles game. The reason being that I wanted someone from the NFC to be able to compete with Pittsburgh just in case the Patriots faltered. All turned out great there.

Same thing with '07..I wanted the Giants in to knock off the Cowboys and Packers that year just so the Pats would "better chance" at going undefeated..I put that in quotations because it backfired on me in the end lol.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are about to talk about the 49ers on NFL 32 in case anyone is interested. I will post what they say.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a lot of time left in this season. The Packers are hot now..but can they keep that up going into the playoffs?

Same could be said for us right now

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so much concerned with that as with how I think the defense will struggle against a great passing team. The 49ers don't put much pressure on the passer and the Pack are strong at every pass-catching position. They will exploit that mild pass rush and lack of speed in the secondary with those talented receivers and the best QB the game has seen in a while.

Our pass rush is not mild when Ray Mac and All Done are on the field. Don't let Sunday's game bring you down.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Same could be said for us right now

Good point...I have always looked at playoffs as being foremost about game planning (coaching) & execution more than anything else. That said, however, momentum should not be underestimated.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point...I have always looked at playoffs as being foremost about game planning (coaching) & execution more than anything else. That said, however, momentum should not be underestimated.

Momentum is really big. The packers were the last seed in the nFC but they had some momentum going into the playoffs and kept it going.

Even the SF giants(i know not football) But they had the momentum going into the playoff as well.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they spent about 30 seconds on the 9ers. Nothing much to mention.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Momentum is really big. The packers were the last seed in the nFC but they had some momentum going into the playoffs and kept it going.

Even the SF Giants (I know not football) But they had the momentum going into the playoff as well.

Absolutely!

Something else that should never be underestimated - is more cowbell!!!

I've got to Rep that, '83!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could see us put up 299 yards passing against them after being down 21 to 3. Teams have to abandon the run if they want to keep up, which has to be the big reason why you're seeing that inflated number.

That or their defense has been taking a vacation until the playoffs start.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As long as Cully keeps getting better, I think the 49ers will match up fine. Rogers on Jennings is a good fit, Cully on James Jones, and then Spencer should be able to handle Nelson. Willis should do OK on Finley, but I think the 49ers would need to put a safety over the top of him because Willis can help contain TEs, but he doesn't shut them out of games.

It will just come down to individual matchups, the 49ers 3rd CB and maybe 4th CB cannot screw up, because that is who Rodgers and the Packers pick on to open up their better receivers. The secondary would have to be perfect, if this matchup happens, hopefully Donatell would have them as well coached as he did in that Tampa game.

for me it'll be pressure before coverage, we'll need both but more on pressure. not only pressure against Green Bay, but any opponent in the play-offs.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for me it'll be pressure before coverage, we'll need both but more on pressure. not only pressure against Green Bay, but any opponent in the play-offs.

Now that I think about this a little more seriously, this is probably more true with Rodgers than any of the other QB's we have played against thus far.

Aaron Rodgers is slightly better than the likes of, Tarvaris Jackson, Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, Mike Vick, Josh Freeman, Matt Stafford, Colt McCoy and John Beck - Seriously, who are these guys anyway?

The way we defend against everyone of those QB's won't hold up against Rodgers. If he has time, he will shred our secondary. Thus, the whole Detroit pass protection plan may not work. We will need some blitz's to work if we are to slow down Rodgers & Co.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that I think about this a little more seriously, this is probably more true with Rodgers than any of the other QB's we have played against thus far.

Aaron Rodgers is slightly better than the likes of, Tarvaris Jackson, Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, Mike Vick, Josh Freeman, Matt Stafford, Colt McCoy and John Beck - Seriously, who are these guys anyway?

The way we defend against everyone of those QB's won't hold up against Rodgers. If he has time, he will shred our secondary. Thus, the whole Detroit pass protection plan may not work. We will need some blitz's to work if we are to slow down Rodgers & Co.

Agree 100% with this. Pressure is what effects the top quarterbacks the most. If they feel conmfortable in the pocket, their accuracy is so good that no matter how well you defend them they will get that ball in there. Pressure even made mortals out of the great ones like Montana and Brady.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree 100% with this. Pressure is what effects the top quarterbacks the most. If they feel conmfortable in the pocket, their accuracy is so good that no matter how well you defend them they will get that ball in there. Pressure even made mortals out of the great ones like Montana and Brady.

Exactly!

The bolded deserves its own emphasis because of what it means. Rodgers routinely hits windows that most other QB's (certainly those we've faced) would not even consider throwing into.

To your point, if Rodgers goes into the playoffs as he is playing right now, we would be facing the likes of a modern day Joe Montana. And if we can't get pressure with four, it could/would be a long day.

We are a million years away from having to worry about it, but it is fun to wonder.