• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perhaps one of the Worst trades in Sports History....

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst trade has to be the Hershel Walker trade, but this move comes close.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk if it's the worst trade, but giving up a 2nd rd pick puts in the conversation.

It's possible that STL would've released him outright and they could've pick him up for $4 mil per.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible that STL would've released him outright and they could've pick him up for $4 mil per.

Neither of these 2 things was ever remotely plausible. Steelers fans have had Big Ben for so long so I don't think you know know much even mediocre QBs get paid these days (Brian Hoyer got $5 mil per), and Bradford is certainly not mediocre.

The Poster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is starting to grow on me. Yes it was a stunner at first blush but if Bradford helps get Murray here along with Matthews, Sproles, Polk this O could be crazy. If it is true that Chip has already been offered a 1st then for sure Bradford was not getting cut. These could be the days we all look back on and go wow.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I always find it amusing when people on message boards think they are smarter than the professionals who also have way more information than we do. Then they also rate a trade 3 minutes after it happens. A couple of years from now people will be able to accurate assess what happened here and there is a good chance it will go down as an all time bad trade. Its just not clear for which team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of these 2 things was ever remotely plausible. Steelers fans have had Big Ben for so long so I don't think you know know much even mediocre QBs get paid these days (Brian Hoyer got $5 mil per), and Bradford is certainly not mediocre.

LOL...you're right about the $4mil part, but teams would be leery of the big long term money on him.

I think there was a chance that STL would've released him if no suitors surfaced in a trade. $12mil is a lot to carry for someone that only played 16 games, twice in 5 years.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford is gonna turn that into a frown.

I'll believe it when I see it. I am really surprised you had to give up the picks as well. It just seems a bad deal all around.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll believe it when I see it. I am really surprised you had to give up the picks as well. It just seems a bad deal all around.

Your taking the wrong approach of labeling it bad when you don't understand why the Eagles would do it. This is a learning opportunity to get a better feel for why this happened. Chip is not an idiot. He acquired a potential Franchise QB dirt cheap because he has an injury history. Will it work? Maybe/Maybe not. But obviously Chip felt he was better than Foles and so did several other teams.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I always find it amusing when people on message boards think they are smarter than the professionals who also have way more information than we do. Then they also rate a trade 3 minutes after it happens. A couple of years from now people will be able to accurate assess what happened here and there is a good chance it will go down as an all time bad trade. Its just not clear for which team.

That's the best time to evaluate it. The people involved don't know the future at the time of the trade either. I like the potential of it for both sides. Foles might not be great for them, but they get a 2nd rounder out of it. Also, who that 2nd rounder becomes doesn't really change what the trade was at the time it was made.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like there was competition for Bradford and not much competition for Foles.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if he's telling the truth that the Eagles were offered a first for Bradford they should take it and run.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it the worst trade ever. It's certainly somewhat lopsided, but worst trade ever it is not.
The Herschel Walker trade to Minnesota is considered the worst trade ever by everyone but Cowboys fans. :D

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people just don't get it... When you work out a trade it's based on the players upside or his ability to play currently. When you are trading for a player that is two times damaged goods it has to bring his value in a trade way down. Considering Nick Foles was originally a 3rd rd pick and already has 1 pro bowl that has to bump his stock up to be at worst a 2nd rd pick, right? One could argue he was at least worth what Alex Smith was, 2 second rd picks. Therefore it appears to the average knowledgable football person, media and ex players included, that on the surface and at first glance this is a bad trade. Now should Bradford stay healthy and Flourish in Chips system then sure Chip looks like a damn genius. But that is a huge huge "IF" and perhaps the ballsiest move I have ever seen. It's not a matter of Chip being smarter than everyone else, it's a matter of Chip having Brass Balls!

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because Reid paid 2 2nd round picks for Alex Smith it does not mean Foles was worth it. Alex Smith had a much bigger resume and I am not saying that he is better than Foles. Foles had that magnificent run in 2013 but you have to also look at 2014 and say that it may have dropped his value down.

I think the Chiefs overpaid for Smith. The second pick was conditional (probably easy to meet though) but in the end they still paid too much imo. Just because one team overpays does not mean another will.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked, there were "professionals" on both sides of the Herschel Walker trade. One of those "professionals" proved to be wearing a clown suit.

There were "professionals" in the Philly front office who thought it would be a good idea to spend a first round pick on Jon Harris, a guy who had never produced in college, whose own coach laughed when he heard about the selection, who was asleep when the Eagles informed him he had been drafted in the first round.

"Professionals" are prone to making mistakes on draft day and free agency. Most people can see that.

But, I guess we should shut down message boards and just offer blind allegiance to whatever "professionals" do, right deerpathdave?

By the way, what are Chip's credentials as an NFL front office "professional"? What experience does he have doing this?

That's right--zero. As much as Wings or any of us.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people just don't get it... When you work out a trade it's based on the players upside

Read that second part over and over and you'll get it.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked, there were "professionals" on both sides of the Herschel Walker trade. One of those "professionals" proved to be wearing a clown suit.

There were "professionals" in the Philly front office who thought it would be a good idea to spend a first round pick on Jon Harris, a guy who had never produced in college, whose own coach laughed when he heard about the selection, who was asleep when the Eagles informed him he had been drafted in the first round.

"Professionals" are prone to making mistakes on draft day and free agency. Most people can see that.

But, I guess we should shut down message boards and just offer blind allegiance to whatever "professionals" do, right deerpathdave?

By the way, what are Chip's credentials as an NFL front office "professional"? What experience does he have doing this?

That's right--zero. As much as Wings or any of us.

Lol. I am all for the Message board give and take. My perspective is that these guys make these decisions for a reason and I generally assume that although they may not be smarter than us, they do KNOW a lot more, so I take the time when I see something that surprises me to try to read between the lines and figure out what they know that I don't.

So its a bit of detective game for me rather than a judgement game. Much more interesting to try to learn from what surprises than to assume the other guy is an idiot, because he rarely is.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I am all for the Message board give and take. My perspective is that these guys make these decisions for a reason and I generally assume that although they may not be smarter than us, they do KNOW a lot more, so I take the time when I see something that surprises me to try to read between the lines and figure out what they know that I don't.

So its a bit of detective game for me rather than a judgement game. Much more interesting to try to learn from what surprises than to assume the other guy is an idiot, because he rarely is.

In this case, I think I learned..

1. That Sam Bradford is now healthy and ready to role and that multiple teams were/are interested in him and think his injury woes may be behind him.
2. That Chip didn't really like Foles all that much and wanted to upgrade.
3. I also realized that players Cap number in their last year of their rookie contract is probably meaningless as that contract is probably going to be replace in about 2-3 weeks.
4. That Bradford was one of the last rookie to get a really bloated NFL contract before the new Players Agreement kicked in. He probably is not as worried about the money as most guys and may be willing to play out the last year of his deal.
5. That Bradford ran a spread offense in college and DeMarco Murray was his college roommate/teammate.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at the hyperbole from clueless morons