• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perhaps one of the Worst trades in Sports History....

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was Nick Foles? He came onto the scene like wildfire, played lights out and then he regressed a bit before getting hurt.

There was evidence that Foles could be a top 10 QB, and your so close to finding out who he really is and then you trade him.

I thought that was a little dangerous.

The problem with all of that is the star in the making may have have been the anomaly and not the other way around. We have to remember.....he did get beat out by Vick for the starting job and played because of injury. He could very well have been the NFL's version of Jeremy Lin and not the Tom Brady we hoped. He did become normal very fast.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did trade him.

What is funny is how people are saying how bad this trade is yet all off season they were willing to jettison Foles for an unproven rookie who had a better chance to be a bust than a star in the NFL.....Not saying to did Igg but all offseason and even a lot during he season so many people are saying how Foles was not the answer. When he gets dumped these same fans call it the worst trade in history.

Hahah you nailed it. Bradford is way better than Mariota. I'm still praying this is for real.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we accept the idea that Bradford is a better QB than Foles, than giving Foles plus a 2 for Bradford is more than reasonable.

The other troubling aspect of this trade is the cap value of each player. Its important to note that each player is in the last year of the contract and each player is likely to start. Its most common in these situations to tear up the contract and give the players new deals. especially for the younger guys. Kaepernick is a good example. SF tore up his rookie contract before the last year and paid him $12.4M in 2014. So there is strong precedent that Foles was not/is not going to earn $1.3M this year. His pay should jump to somewhere in the $8-12M range.

Now Bradford, has already earned a ton of money, and given his injury history, I think we may well be happy to either play out the year and prove his is healthy and can play, or sign a team friendly extension.

So at the end of the day, the money between these two players may be pretty much a wash and if that is how it works out, it looks like a pretty fair deal for both teams to get the QB they prefer.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DPD that is the one thing that is baffling me about the deal. It makes no sense to trade for a player in the last year of his deal with such a large cap hit without something in the works. I believe that when healthy Bradford is an outstanding QB and the potential to be great. With that said his health is an issue and while some are overly concerned with it I am not too much because he was not a mobile QB to begin with.

I am just trying to understand what the end game is with this deal. I still think something else is coming.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DPD that is the one thing that is baffling me about the deal. It makes no sense to trade for a player in the last year of his deal with such a large cap hit without something in the works. I believe that when healthy Bradford is an outstanding QB and the potential to be great. With that said his health is an issue and while some are overly concerned with it I am not too much because he was not a mobile QB to begin with.

I am just trying to understand what the end game is with this deal. I still think something else is coming.

They traded one guy in the last year of his deal for another in the same situation. I expect that both contracts will likely be torn up and replaced with something new. Foles has certainly earned the raise and it would be shocking if STL didn't give him a huge bonus. With Bradford, at least his current contract arguably pays him market value for a starter, so I think there is a better chance they just stick with the current one for now.

So look at it this way. If the Eagles were to start Foles, the normal expectation would be to extend him. Give him a healthy signing bonus, and then essentially commit to him for 2-3 years. I expect that is what STL will do.

Meanwhile, with Bradford as he is already well compensated, the Eagles may be able to get away with a one year prove it situation with the current contract. This is much less risky, with great upside if Bradford proves to be the guy.

I would rather be the Eagles Brass in this situation. You are committing to one year only while STL may be committing multi years to a player with just as many question marks.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Barkley was traded for a trio of end of the bench scrubs in this town and this trade is one of the worst in sports history? The only way this trade EVER gets in the same stratosphere is if Foles ends up in the HOF.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got Roman Gabriel and Jaws from St. Louis. This is just business as usual.

dilbert719

Visitor From Planet KFFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wings, I'll give you this: this is perhaps some of the worst hyperbole in sports history.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could be as excited as I want to be, but I'm still worried this great trade for a real QB will be followed by an idiotic trade for a crappy QB.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wings, I'll give you this: this is perhaps some of the worst hyperbole in sports history.
You can say what u want, the fact is there was serious talk that the Rams were looking to Cut Bradford..... Even if Bradford stays healthy and becomes a pro bowl qb the trade at the time, is insane! We are the ones that should have gotten the high draft picks, not the other way around.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say what u want, the fact is there was serious talk that the Rams were looking to Cut Bradford..... Even if Bradford stays healthy and becomes a pro bowl qb the trade at the time, is insane! We are the ones that should have gotten the high draft picks, not the other way around.

For what? Bradford's been thought of as a franchise QB his entire life. Not Nick. Multiple teams were competing for Bradford, not for Nick. I liked Nick, but I can see how the upside of these two guys could be evaluated by those in the league.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest fear is the fact that Sanchez is the backup. He is a loser. I hope Foles will do well and make the pro Bowl. Bradford has some tools if he stays healthy. But Chip got rid of Mac and Shady to make salary cap space.
And This is the result. (Bradford). Too much gambling on Chips part as far as I am concerned. We had every chance to be good this coming season With Foles and some defensive upgrades. I will root for Shady, Mac, and Foles every time they play. That will give me an incentive to watch more games next season.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I listened to a vid today on ESPN (can't remember which one it was but I will tried to find it) He said that the Rams had no intention of trading Bradford. Giving that I find it hard to believe they would just release him too.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time this many people doubted Chip was back on September 3 at Boise state......no one doubted him after that game.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time this many people doubted Chip was back on September 3 at Boise state......no one doubted him after that game.

I'm surprised that Ducks fans have as much admiration for Kelly as they do. After all he never did deliver the ultimate championship. Probably a function of low expectations.

UT fans probably would have had a healthy respect for a guy like Kelly with a record like that, but not on a pedestal like Duck fans. It's almost like no Duck fan even has a bad word to say about the dude.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this and you might rethink worst trade ever

Sour Rankings: From John Elway to Ricky Williams, the 15 worst trades in NFL history - Audibles - SI.com

It is to early to call this the worst trade ever, I mean if Foles takes the Rams to the superbowl and wins or vice versa, well then you can add this to this list

Surprised the Ron Solt trade Buddy Ryan made was not on the list. 1st and a 4th for a guy who played a few games for us. Came here hurt just like Bradford had have another surgery