• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

People that root for a team they have no affiliation with

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've been to Arizona once. Never been to Tucson in my life. And I am, and always will be, a more passionate fan than you could even imagine being. I guess I'm disgraceful!

you get the runner-up ribbon behind me.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was a guy on the CBS boards named SPARTYPANTS. said he lived in "rural" West Virginia (rural? WV? haha). his profile was anything but 'rural' - sporting far-flung favorites SD Chargers, Baltimore Orioles, Denver Nuggets and...Michigan State University. guy came on like gangbusters, primarily on the CBB boards, touting MSU and trolling everybody else...earned universal hatred, and a particularly-nasty backlash against Spartan Nation - despite virtually every other Spartan fan's vehement disassociation from such an asshole troll. shit went on for a week or so, then

during one exchange, I asked SPARTYPANTS: "wtf, why MSU?"
the answer?: "I like their colors."

was like watching someone mistakenly self-eviscerate on national teevee.:lol:

but he loved him some MSU and usually had a hot avi...so I was cool with him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, why does it matter how you became a fan as long as you are a loyal knowledgable fan...

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is why Threads like this will never go away...

It's not who, what or why you "fan"...it's how you present yourself being a "fan."

but he loved him some MSU and usually had a hot avi...so I was cool with him.

yah...weird huh?...after outing himself, he toned down his trolling bullshit and began contributing mostly reasonable, sapient shit. (And, he did sport the occasional hot avi...so there's that.)

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Yes you should.

You shouldn't root for a team because you like their sneaker color. Ooooh, I liked baby blue in high school (which is queer for a male) so I like UNC!

You can like a player. I'm not from San Diego. I have family there and have spent a lot of time there, but other than than I don't have any reason to root for SD teams.

Do you know who the fuck Ladainian Tomlinson is? I had no idea who he was before I saw him in person and he is the greatest running back I have ever seen, and I've seen some good ones.

I see what you're saying, but I think your argument is based in stereotypes and cliches. This has been discussed over and over. I can completely accept someone who is dedicated to a team and isn't fickle about it. It's the band wagon fans I despise.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Shirt fans are another story though. I think that's what the OP is getting at.

Worst T-Shirt fans:

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas

Cowboys

Packers

Broncos

Kansas

Duke

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Shirt fans are another story though. I think that's what the OP is getting at.

Worst T-Shirt fans:

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas

Cowboys

Packers

Broncos

Kansas

Duke

I think there's a good example of the OP's complaint a little closer to home for us.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would rather have in your fanbase?

Fan A) Born and raised in team's hometown. Doesn't pay attention to the team, until the playoffs, when he hears the local buzz that the team made it and is doing well. Dusts off his jersey, sticks a flag in his car, asks someone who the best player is, catches the end of the game at a party.

Fan B) Became a fan of the team as a child because he liked a player, even though he lives on the other side of the country. Watches every game, knows every player, sticks with them through the bad years and thoroughly enjoys the good years.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-Shirt fans are another story though.

That awkward moment when you start up a conversation with someone about the team on their shirt.... and they know nothing.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That awkward moment when you start up a conversation with someone about the team on their shirt.... and they know nothing.

And then you play dumb to make the situation less awkward.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Worst T-Shirt fans:

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas

Cowboys

Packers

Broncos

Kansas

Duke

how can you make this list and not include the yankees and, to a lesser extent, the red sox?

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

happened to me on Saturday as I was heading out to a bar to watch the Pac-12 championship game. Walked right by a girl in my building who was wearing an Arizona t-shirt and said, "Are you going to watch the game!!" all excitedly, and she looked at me and clearly had no idea WE even had a game.

OP, noticed how I used WE even though I have zero, and I mean ZERO ties to Arizona? Yup, FUCK YOU

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When i went to philadelphia a couple years ago i went to Mitchell and ness, I almost Bought a chicago whitesox Jacket because i thought it was awsome... Couldnt do it since i am a yankee fan and not exactly a whitesox fan, but i thought the jacket was awsome... If it was only a tshirt or uniform i would have bought it... So to some extent i do think uniforms might be worn just because someone thinks it is cool... and if that team is playing that day, of course you would where that teams jerzee...

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My quote applies identically to your broadened stance of ties.

You are a shitty fan if you question someone's fandom based on your opinion of their ties to your school.

Your quote was directly about whether or not they attended the school. I never claimed that.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My quote applies identically to your broadened stance of ties.

You are a shitty fan if you question someone's fandom based on your opinion of their ties to your school.

And BTW, Its not about questioning anyone's fandom. It's about thinking whether they are lame or not. Nothing more.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, why does it matter how you became a fan as long as you are a loyal knowledgable fan...

It doesn't matter, however, I am allowed to point out how lame I think certain people are based on how they became a fan. That is my right.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would rather have in your fanbase?

Fan A) Born and raised in team's hometown. Doesn't pay attention to the team, until the playoffs, when he hears the local buzz that the team made it and is doing well. Dusts off his jersey, sticks a flag in his car, asks someone who the best player is, catches the end of the game at a party.

Fan B) Became a fan of the team as a child because he liked a player, even though he lives on the other side of the country. Watches every game, knows every player, sticks with them through the bad years and thoroughly enjoys the good years.

At first I would say neither but the brass tax is that it depends on the circumstances for Fan B.

I would be fine with Fan B if he didn't just select his team because they were winners at the time and he needed to fill a void.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
happened to me on Saturday as I was heading out to a bar to watch the Pac-12 championship game. Walked right by a girl in my building who was wearing an Arizona t-shirt and said, "Are you going to watch the game!!" all excitedly, and she looked at me and clearly had no idea WE even had a game.

OP, noticed how I used WE even though I have zero, and I mean ZERO ties to Arizona? Yup, FUCK YOU

I noticed it. :lame:

I rarely even use the word "We" and me and my entire family went to the school I root for.