• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's true, although all the so-called pundits up here in the Great White North are already putting the Pens in the Stanley Cup final. I expect the Pens to advance over the Isles, but if the Isles can somehow force a game 7, man oh man, it's going to be one hell of a game.
Well...on paper, it's hard not to say they are the favorites to come out of the East.

I have them > the Isles in 5.

You rooting for them due to Iginla?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You rooting for them due to Iginla?

If they get past the first round (and I fully expect the Pens to do so), then they might as well go all the way (the first round pick the Flames received from Pittsburgh won't really matter all that much if it's in the 24 to 30 range). And yes, I would like Iggy to get that elusive Cup ring.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game was the most exciting thing that happened on Long Island in 15yrs. Garth being proud of Gillies after running Tangradi and knocking him out cold. Then repeatedly punching him in the face while he's knocked out. Yeah...real tough.

That's something definitely to be proud of. :rollseyes:

Mario whining & crying afterward was :laugh3:. There's a reason why the Penguins sat Cooke down & told him he had to clean up his act. You can't call another team out for what you consider dirty play when the rest of the league can say your team has one of, if not the dirtiest player in the entire league.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario whining & crying afterward was :laugh3:. There's a reason why the Penguins sat Cooke down & told him he had to clean up his act. You can't call another team out for what you consider dirty play when the rest of the league can say your team has one of, if not the dirtiest player in the entire league.

As a fan, I'm not proud of what Matt Cooke did to Savard. Are you proud of Trevor Gillies' actions that night?

Be proud of your team for winning, sticking up for themselves, etc.... not for cheapshot attempts at injuring.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asssss said earlier, 90% of the involved players in that ruckus are gone. Thing of the past, blah blah blah...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan, I'm not proud of what Matt Cooke did to Savard. Are you proud of Trevor Gillies' actions that night?

Be proud of your team for winning, sticking up for themselves, etc.... not for cheapshot attempts at injuring.

Gillies isn't in the league anymore. Which is how it should be. He tried to adjust his game, but for some reason it didn't work.

Matt Cooke has done far more dirty deeds than what he did to Savard. He's got a rap sheet at the league offices that's probably many pages long.

The Owner of the Ottawa Senators is even investigating as to whether or not Cooke intended to injure Karlsson. I admit it's ridiculous to think it was done on purpose, but the mere fact that it's being investigated tells us people don't believe or trust Cooke.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asssss said earlier, 90% of the involved players in that ruckus are gone. Thing of the past, blah blah blah...

Sorry pix, I'm tired of it as well, but when someone mentions how long before Cooke takes Tavares out it ticks me off. I don't need to tell Penguins fans how important their teams best players are. You already know.

I don't think it has anything to do with this series. The Islanders have a couple of guys who can rumble in Carkner & Martin. If they need too they can add Boulton to the lineup. I don't expect Boulton to get much playing time in this series. At least I hope not. The Isles need to utilize their speed as much as possible. Grabner MUST capitalize on every good scoring chance he creates. Nabby has to stand on his head. The Isles have to be almost perfect 4 times to win this series. The Penguins simply have too much firepower.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry pix, I'm tired of it as well, but when someone mentions how long before Cooke takes Tavares out it ticks me off. I don't need to tell Penguins fans how important their teams best players are. You already know.

I don't think it has anything to do with this series. The Islanders have a couple of guys who can rumble in Carkner & Martin. If they need too they can add Boulton to the lineup. I don't expect Boulton to get much playing time in this series. At least I hope not. The Isles need to utilize their speed as much as possible. Grabner MUST capitalize on every good scoring chance he creates. Nabby has to stand on his head. The Isles have to be almost perfect 4 times to win this series. The Penguins simply have too much firepower.

In order for them to match up, you're right. They need their absolute best every night. The Pens have the fire power to where a star can be slumping and someone will pick up the slack. Sid in a slump? Geno, Neal, Iggy, Kunitz and the gang are there. Depth is the true advantage that the Pens have against every team in the playoffs. Doesn't mean I'm not scared, because gosh I've seen the weaknesses this year. What DOES make me confident is that they haven't lost more than 2 in a row all year. As far as toughness goes, the Pens can match up pretty well...but as you've said, goonism isn't an option in the postseason, not if you want to win. In my years of watching postseason hockey I can only recall a few fights (TK a few years back, and all the Wings-Avs matchups haha). Nabby and the PP are what can beat the Pens. The Pens PK has been up and down, but that said, their PP is also en fuego (good lord the amount of space Iggy will get on the point with Sid on the wall, Neal in the slot, Letang at the other point and Geno lurking...yes that's the projected first PP).

My guess for "out of nowhere" guy for the Pens is Sutter though. First postseason ever for him. And he's hungry. Watch out for Morrow too...he's a postseason beast. Fleury really is the Pens key, but this season has been solid, and having Tomas behind him is a nice thing to have.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ALSO, I don't want JT hurt. That just ruins any fun of this series (though gosh the 93 parallels would be scary then w/ Turegon)...but I think you know that. Wasn't any Pens fan making that joke...the ones here aren't THAT dumb :)

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for them to match up, you're right. They need their absolute best every night. The Pens have the fire power to where a star can be slumping and someone will pick up the slack. Sid in a slump? Geno, Neal, Iggy, Kunitz and the gang are there. Depth is the true advantage that the Pens have against every team in the playoffs. Doesn't mean I'm not scared, because gosh I've seen the weaknesses this year. What DOES make me confident is that they haven't lost more than 2 in a row all year. As far as toughness goes, the Pens can match up pretty well...but as you've said, goonism isn't an option in the postseason, not if you want to win. In my years of watching postseason hockey I can only recall a few fights (TK a few years back, and all the Wings-Avs matchups haha). Nabby and the PP are what can beat the Pens. The Pens PK has been up and down, but that said, their PP is also en fuego (good lord the amount of space Iggy will get on the point with Sid on the wall, Neal in the slot, Letang at the other point and Geno lurking...yes that's the projected first PP).

My guess for "out of nowhere" guy for the Pens is Sutter though. First postseason ever for him. And he's hungry. Watch out for Morrow too...he's a postseason beast. Fleury really is the Pens key, but this season has been solid, and having Tomas behind him is a nice thing to have.

In all honesty I think there are only three teams that can beat the Pens in a series & all three of them play out West. Chicago, Anaheim & the DEFENDING CHAMPS.

The key for Pittsburgh is Fleury. If he plays like he did against Philly last year all bets are off. The biggest reason the Isles beat the Pens back in 93 was because the Pens were so focused on scoring that their D got caught up ice of flat footed & Barraso was AWFUL!!

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALSO, I don't want JT hurt. That just ruins any fun of this series (though gosh the 93 parallels would be scary then w/ Turegon)...but I think you know that. Wasn't any Pens fan making that joke...the ones here aren't THAT dumb :)

Turgeon wasn't the only player injured. The Isles were without their captain Patrick Flatley amongst others.

I hope Sid plays every game. If a miracle does happen I don't want any excuses. We know from the Pens last game that Malkin, Neal & Martin are healthy & ready to go.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty I think there are only three teams that can beat the Pens in a series & all three of them play out West. Chicago, Anaheim & the DEFENDING CHAMPS.

The key for Pittsburgh is Fleury. If he plays like he did against Philly last year all bets are off. The biggest reason the Isles beat the Pens back in 93 was because the Pens were so focused on scoring that their D got caught up ice of flat footed & Barraso was AWFUL!!

I mean, I never watched the 93 series. I know the history, but I was 2...and why would I watch it NOW? Hahah. Heck, even in watching the 91 and 92 playoff tapes I skip the Ls (who wouldn't after the fact?). BUT, based on that description, I REALLY don't see it happening (like that at least). They have firepower similar to that squad (not the same, because good gravy that whole team was HoF), but they're also committed to a pretty good defensive scheme. Their D like to get involved, but a forward is always cognizant of that for the most part. The games they've lost this year have pretty much been due to lack of discipline and giving up PPs, but they've gotten much, much better at that. If the Isles are smart they'll know to get under the Pens skin early. Whether or not the Pens take that bait is yet to be seen, because they have started to ignore it (and adding some vets helps).

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Something I noticed about MAF this year is he hasnt gone thru more than 2 consecutive games where he was awful. Maybe he has finally figured out how to regroup but he hasnt shown any signs of long-term meltdowns like he has in the past. Hope he proves me right.

Also, you are dead on about 93 and the 2nd biggst reason the Pens lost is Lemieux had a severe case of Kasparaitis.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I never watched the 93 series. I know the history, but I was 2...and why would I watch it NOW? Hahah. Heck, even in watching the 91 and 92 playoff tapes I skip the Ls (who wouldn't after the fact?). BUT, based on that description, I REALLY don't see it happening (like that at least). They have firepower similar to that squad (not the same, because good gravy that whole team was HoF), but they're also committed to a pretty good defensive scheme. Their D like to get involved, but a forward is always cognizant of that for the most part. The games they've lost this year have pretty much been due to lack of discipline and giving up PPs, but they've gotten much, much better at that. If the Isles are smart they'll know to get under the Pens skin early. Whether or not the Pens take that bait is yet to be seen, because they have started to ignore it (and adding some vets helps).

I don't see the Islanders as a tough physical team. They have some guys who can be, but it hasn't been a huge part of their game. Now they do have some pests. Grabner can scare the crap out of any team with his speed. Nielsen can be annoying to play against. Cizikas is as pesky as it gets. Martin enjoys hitting the opponent. He led the league in hits for the 2nd straight season I think. Colin McDonald is a solid two way winger who does a bit of everything.

From a pure talent standpoint it shouldn't be close, but the Isles will give it all they've got.

I saw a post in another thread I think in which the Penguins could have 5 lines if they wanted. So who's going to be sitting games out?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's sitting out will be an interesting question. For game one it'll likely be Vitale-Bennett-Jeffrey-TK as the "5th line", with my assumption being that Sid is back and Jokinen centers the 4th between Glass and Adams. As much as all Pens fans love to hate on Glass, he does his role well. And it's a role needed on that line. That said, if he has a rough game I could see Beau/Joe getting back in the lineup. Beau is good, and SHOULD be on this roster, but the team is too deep. He's full timer next year though. The lines will likely be:
Dupuis-Sid-Iggy
Neal-Malkin-Kunitz
Cooke-Sutter-Morrow
Adams-Jokinen-Glass
Extras: TK-Bennett-Vitale-Jeffrey (ALL of those guys are producers for the Pens this year too...and recently)
Martin-Orpik
Letang-Eaton
Niskanen-Murray
Extras: Despres, Bortuzzo, Engelland (Once again, all have been pretty solid other than Engo this year)

That's the FULL squad when everyone is healthy. Orpik's status is up in the air I think.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Capuano gives him the rope that MacLean did in Ottawa, but Matt Carkner is one tough guy who is ACTUALLY a deterrent against idiots like Cooke. Carks won't think twice about taking a suspension to defend his team's star player. Cooke is cowardly enough to not try anything I would think. He wouldn't want o face the music like Boyle did.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stat from the boys at Pensblog. While Geno(?)/Sid have no goals vs. Nabby, Iginla has EIGHT against him over two playoff series. Maybe this will be Iggy's series and not Sutter's. Still, my gut says Sutter will be bonkers.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Iggy will be killing many penalties, but here's a classic from 2004: