• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 20 (Feb 16 - Feb 22)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the way I see it, no playoffs, no 1st round draft pick in what many call the most stacked draft in recent history, and no cap space to make major moves during the offseason.

Wow…
:L

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...that's a pretty ugly scenario. I do put the blame on coaching, but even more so on the players. Too much talent to play this shitty

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe because I was at the game, and you can see more of how the play develops, but that was really bad.

Was listening to Johnston's presser on the way home. I was looking for a transcript but I can't find one. Anyway, I thought the most interesting part was that Johnston said he thought the Crosby fight should have energized the team more than it did.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably been about 11 years since I felt this shitty about tPens. Not since we got Sid have I been so disappointed with this team. If you recall, I had low expectations going into this season, yet I still find myself disappointed with how tPens have been performing so far. I don't blame Johnston or any particular player, but this is just not a very good team, time we face those facts, and it was really stupid of us to trade our 1st round pick this year.

Not saying this because I think it'll happen, but I felt this way right before Therrien was fired.

I don't think the coaching is a major problem this year, although it can always be better. I don't know how you coach your star players into scoring more goals, they just aren't doing it anymore.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying this because I think it'll happen, but I felt this way right before Therrien was fired.

I don't think the coaching is a major problem this year, although it can always be better. I don't know how you coach your star players into scoring more goals, they just aren't doing it anymore.
This is true.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, general observation, Blake Comeau is on the 2nd line for his physical play, not to score goals. Too many fly-bys last night on CLB players who he should have crushed.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you guys think is going to happen? Do you believe they'll fall out of the playoffs?

I'm disappointed and concerned about how they're playing, but I still think they'll rally at some point because they have nearly everyone healthy, and Fleury is probably playing his best he's ever played in the regular season. This is foreign to them with having regular season struggles after 5+ years of just cruising through the October-March. Adversity builds character, though. It might end up being a good thing that they're dealing with these types of issues while there is still time to fix them.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they'll fall out of the playoffs in the end, but it could get interesting down the stretch, I think they are headed for a 5-8 spot though. That Sunday game v Florida is suddenly very important.

Agreed, the adversity could build character.

The powerplay will come around, and the goals will tick up with that naturally. They look like a team playing together for the first time right now, everyone is just a little bit off.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, El. Don't see them falling out of the playoff spot. Maybe they go in this season as a wild-card, but after four years of qualifying with home ice advantage, didn't really do them any good, so wild-card wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, IMO.

Goals Against per game - 2.43 (7th)
Goals For per game - 2.76 (16th)
5v5 Goals For/Against Ratio - 1.16 (7th)
Penalty Kill % - 85.4 (5th)
Power Play % - 20.1 (8th)

Those are the current team stats for the Penguins. Pretty solid, really. In fact, they have better numbers from the ones I listed above than the current leader of the Metro, The Islanders.

This is why I think things will eventually start clicking again. That 5v5 is a huge stat, because in the post-season, power-play opportunities are few and far between, and you have to be able to score at even strength. They're currently doing that as the 7th best in the league.

Penalty kill is also very good, at 5th best in the NHL. Just have to get that power-play sorted out, which I think will happen at some point.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team can't continue to post 1 goal and go scoreless for 25+ power plays. Don't score goals, don't win games. Until I see them lighting it up, I am believing the bottom is falling out.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team can't continue to post 1 goal and go scoreless for 25+ power plays. Don't score goals, don't win games. Until I see them lighting it up, I am believing the bottom is falling out.

I think that is the point, they can't because it's almost impossible to be that bad for much longer than they have been. Not saying I think they will light the world on fire here on out, but they are still 5-4-1 in the past 10 games even though we all know they are playing like garbage, which is 1.1 points per game. At 1 pt per game for the last 24 gets them to 97 points, hard time buying that won't be good enough for a spot.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they make the playoffs, no way they get past round 1, no matter who we play.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they make the playoffs, no way they get past round 1, no matter who we play.

Fair enough, I don't disagree. Main reason I'm not interested in really adding anyone at the deadline. Rather just play it out with who they have, and see what happens.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's a bit too early to be making that assumption. Last season's playoffs showed me that you just never know what the hell is going to happen. The LA Kings at about this point of the season in 2013-14 were 31-22-6, good for 68 points. Things looked pretty bad for them by the end of February, but by the end of the next month, they were roaring, having gone 11-4 in the month of March.

Point being, you just never know what the future holds. I'm not saying you're wrong for being pessimistic, Doobs. They've given us many reasons to hold that opinion right now, but just know the future is hard to predict. Especially in the NHL.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has too much talent to fall out of the playoffs because the goal scoring will come back at some point.
The issue I am seeing is that when you have players such as Crosby and Malkin when you aren't scoring the team tries to get fancy vs just doing the basics better.
One glaring time this occurred was late in the Blue Jackets game when Horqvist had a chance to come in front of the net with the puck from the corner, probably would have an open shot and a chance for a rebound but instead Crosby was behind the net and on the way up he passed it to Crosby. (if i find video I will send it but I doubt it will be easy to find) But it is the little things like that whereas the better chance to score was to take the puck to the net instead of going behind the net to Crosby.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has too much talent to fall out of the playoffs because the goal scoring will come back at some point.
The issue I am seeing is that when you have players such as Crosby and Malkin when you aren't scoring the team tries to get fancy vs just doing the basics better.
One glaring time this occurred was late in the Blue Jackets game when Horqvist had a chance to come in front of the net with the puck from the corner, probably would have an open shot and a chance for a rebound but instead Crosby was behind the net and on the way up he passed it to Crosby. (if i find video I will send it but I doubt it will be easy to find) But it is the little things like that whereas the better chance to score was to take the puck to the net instead of going behind the net to Crosby.

Yeah, that Hornqvist power move was a regular part of the pp early in the year. Don't understand it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that Hornqvist power move was a regular part of the pp early in the year. Don't understand it.

Yeah I don't get it other and it truly seems like they are more concerned about getting Crosby and Malkin back in the scoring race vs winning a game.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you guys think is going to happen? Do you believe they'll fall out of the playoffs?

I'm disappointed and concerned about how they're playing, but I still think they'll rally at some point because they have nearly everyone healthy, and Fleury is probably playing his best he's ever played in the regular season. This is foreign to them with having regular season struggles after 5+ years of just cruising through the October-March. Adversity builds character, though. It might end up being a good thing that they're dealing with these types of issues while there is still time to fix them.

I don't think they'll fall out of the playoffs, frankly feel like MAF may drag them there himself. I actually like the prospect of being an underdog heading into the playoffs, because honestly history has shown adversity in the regular season to be much more common amongst champions. Even in the past few years: both times the Kings won they scratched their way back into the playoffs and into series, the Rangers getting to the SCF last year would've been laughed at in Feb '14, the year the Flyers got to the final, the year the Pens won, etc. That said: this weekend is a breaking point, IMO. Just has that feel to it. If they don't perform again there's likely a move that is made by the front office. That pressure is there, and I hope they react accordingly. Phil Bourque had a solid rant after the last game where his take home point was that the performance was unacceptable, and they should at the least have a fear of being traded, and if not that a fear of missing the playoffs.