• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patton VS Ellignton - Who wins?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Word is that Patton looked good returning KOs yesterday. If he can do the same returning punts, he could make a serious push to be the #4 receiver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
last week I couldn't remember the name of the WR who caught punts effortlessly, cleanly, the best I could recall.......was thinking of Brandon Williams, 3rd round pick from Wisconsin.

doesn't mean anything for today's team, just that the name came to mind. :-)

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Patton wins and it won't be that close. He's shifty, hits top speed quickly, and also has value on special teams. Patton just seems to have a knack for making plays.

I like the potential of Ellington, but I could see him being a practice squad guy or 6th WR (if that many are kept). He may have to beat out Osgood to make the 53 man roster which won't be easy with Osgood's special teams pedigree.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patton has speed? Since when? And everyone is so quick to anoint a guy that was no where to be found last year when he had every chance to fill in for Crabs and be a stud. Not buying Patton, give me Ellington

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Patton wins and it won't be that close. He's shifty, hits top speed quickly, and also has value on special teams. Patton just seems to have a knack for making plays.

I like the potential of Ellington, but I could see him being a practice squad guy or 6th WR (if that many are kept). He may have to beat out Osgood to make the 53 man roster which won't be easy with Osgood's special teams pedigree.

Ellington won't be a PS guy on our team. There's no doubt another team would pick him up quickly if we cut him.

Having said that, with Lloyd drawing very favorable reviews in OTAs, the WR situation is becoming somewhat clouded. It would be tough to keep all four vet receivers (Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, and Lloyd), but that grouping might give us the best chance to win this year. I like Osgood, but from a team standpoint, it would be nice to replace him with a younger player who has upside at a position. Same goes for Ventrone.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Patton has speed? Since when? And everyone is so quick to anoint a guy that was no where to be found last year when he had every chance to fill in for Crabs and be a stud. Not buying Patton, give me Ellington

Patton was dealing with a broken finger during training camp, and then a foot injury after game four of the season. He wasn't able to get on the field. In the preseason games and at the end of the season/playoffs, he made some nice plays. Certainly not anointing him, but I wouldn't write him off based on last year, either.

Both Ellington and Patton are high character, high effort guys. It should be a fun competition. I can't see both of them being active unless we're running heavy at WR to exploit a matchup against a particular team, but I think it's pretty clear both make the squad.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh sounds pretty excited with that Lloyd has done thus far. Ellington and Patton could be going for the 5th spot. Crabs, Boldin and Stevie are the top 3. Leaves you with Lloyd, Patton and Ellington going for 1-2 spots

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone think Brandon Lloyd has a chance to beat out Patton for #4 on the depth chart?

Whoever's #5 really doesn't matter that much IMO because they're not likely to see any action unless there's an injury.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anyone think Brandon Lloyd has a chance to beat out Patton for #4 on the depth chart?

Whoever's #5 really doesn't matter that much IMO because they're not likely to see any action unless there's an injury.

Sure, though the fact that he doesn't play STs won't help him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I think there is a chance because as I've said in the past Patton's biggest problem is he's too much like Crabtree so his presence on the field is redundant with Crabs and Boldin on the field.

I see Patton as a guy that could be big for us down the road when/if Crabtree is gone and when Boldin is done as well.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying in on Lloyd. I think our top 4 are all set.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bill Williamson keeps saying Ellington will be a deep threat.

Best-case scenario: Bruce Ellington - San Francisco 49ers Blog - ESPN

I don't see it. He's got the most speed on our roster, perhaps, but he is undersized and doesn't have that truly special speed that outside guys who are effective deep threats generally possess. He's got some explosiveness and quickness, I see him more as a slot guy than a deep threat on the outside.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is your 4th then?

Not everyone agrees, but I think Patton is the real deal. I would have been fine with him as the 3rd receiver had we not gotten Stevie Johnson.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Williamson keeps saying Ellington will be a deep threat.

Best-case scenario: Bruce Ellington - San Francisco 49ers Blog - ESPN

I don't see it. He's got the most speed on our roster, perhaps, but he is undersized and doesn't have that truly special speed that outside guys who are effective deep threats generally possess. He's got some explosiveness and quickness, I see him more as a slot guy than a deep threat on the outside.

He is quick and strong for his size and put on a show in the SEC

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone agrees, but I think Patton is the real deal. I would have been fine with him as the 3rd receiver had we not gotten Stevie Johnson.

And he could end up being the 4th guy, we will find out in a couple months..However Stevie Johnson was another steal by Trent. That move made our offense real good

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he could end up being the 4th guy, we will find out in a couple months..However Stevie Johnson was another steal by Trent. That move made our offense real good

Totally agree! WR went from being a thin talent pool in 2013to one of the deepest positions in camp with the top 3 more or less locked into position and young talent working to get on the field in 2014.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for some offenses he may not be one, however in this one, he and Lloyd if he makes the team is our deep threats

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I_am_1z's boy Bruce Ellington, according to Bill Williamson, was getting very high praise in OTAs. He said the word "amazing" was thrown around for what it's worth.