• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patton VS Ellignton - Who wins?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Must give LMJ a little slack on that one. Lockette has been a beast as a gunner for Seattle. He gets there so quick and hits returners before they can secure the ball.

It's not like he caught the ball and Lockette dislodged it. He never had it to begin with.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Apparently Ellington will get some snaps at QB during the rookie camp. Could he be our return man and #3 backup this year?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Apparently Ellington will get some snaps at QB during the rookie camp. Could he be our return man and #3 backup this year?

He's probably just going to be used as a camp arm and not someone that will get serious consideration for the role.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's probably just going to be used as a camp arm and not someone that will get serious consideration for the role.

Kyle Williams was our #3 QB for stretches last year. I'm not saying he'd actually be the #3, but if for some reason we lost two QBs in one game, he'd be the emergency guy. It might improve his chances of making the game day roster.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say Patton is a better receiver. I'm not actually a huge fan of Ellington's as a receiver. I'm not a huge fan of his as a return man either; seems pretty average at both (but we don't exactly have Devin Hester right now, so maybe he'll get some play there).

Ellington's not really THAT fast. In fact, Patton might be about as fast as he.

I would say that neither are worth wasting much thought over. Neither guy will have any significant impact on the team any time soon.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to read up on Ellington ,I guess. Didn't know he had QB skills. Where does that leave Josh Johnson? Out the door one more time?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that neither are worth wasting much thought over. Neither guy will have any significant impact on the team any time soon.
I don't know about Ellington but I hope Patton will be what I thought he could be when the 9ers drafted him. At this point I have him as the #4 WR.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have to read up on Ellington ,I guess. Didn't know he had QB skills. Where does that leave Josh Johnson? Out the door one more time?

I don't think Johnson has a great shot, regardless. I see us keeping two QBs on the 53, most likely Gabbert as the #2. Then we'll probably try to keep someone on the PS. But a lot depends on how Gabbert looks, what happens with Bethel McCleod-Thomspon, and how the rest of the roster shakes out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think Johnson has a great shot, regardless. I see us keeping two QBs on the 53, most likely Gabbert as the #2. Then we'll probably try to keep someone on the PS. But a lot depends on how Gabbert looks, what happens with Bethel McCleod-Thomspon, and how the rest of the roster shakes out.

other than Faulkner, which QB has PS eligibility?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest it doesn't really matter. I hope Patton just because it would be a bust pick if he falls down the depth chart. Ellington will play special teams.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must give LMJ a little slack on that one. Lockette has been a beast as a gunner for Seattle. He gets there so quick and hits returners before they can secure the ball.

There's absolutely no excuse for giving up the ball on a punt return.

If he was getting there that fast, then LMJ should have signaled for a fair catch.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patton all day. I never liked the Ellington pick. There were plenty of other WR's to choose from. Usually I would say I trust Baalke and Harbaugh in these situations, but Baalke hasn't proven he's capable of evaluating WR's well enough in the draft to depend on his knowledge in this situation.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To be honest it doesn't really matter. I hope Patton just because it would be a bust pick if he falls down the depth chart. Ellington will play special teams.

Not really. The guy was a late-4th round pick. Obviously he's no better than 4th on our depth chart. If he doesn't dress on game days because Ellington is our return man and Osgood is playing STs, for example, I don't see it as that big a strike.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Patton all day. I never liked the Ellington pick. There were plenty of other WR's to choose from. Usually I would say I trust Baalke and Harbaugh in these situations, but Baalke hasn't proven he's capable of evaluating WR's well enough in the draft to depend on his knowledge in this situation.

I have so little respect for Morton's ability to coach young players that I'm reluctant to place all the blame on Baalke. There's little doubt that Ronald Johnson was Morton's call, and that guy was a disaster (granted a later-round pick). I like Ellington. Not sure he'll ever be a starter, but focusing entirely on football at this point, I think he could develop nicely. I just wish we had tolerable coaching at the position. Kind of relying on Boldin to take these guys under his wing....

I really liked the Patton pick, too, though. I think Patton has a bit more position versatility. I could see him starting at some point.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have so little respect for Morton's ability to coach young players that I'm reluctant to place all the blame on Baalke. There's little doubt that Ronald Johnson was Morton's call, and that guy was a disaster (granted a later-round pick). I like Ellington. Not sure he'll ever be a starter, but focusing entirely on football at this point, I think he could develop nicely. I just wish we had tolerable coaching at the position. Kind of relying on Boldin to take these guys under his wing....

I really liked the Patton pick, too, though. I think Patton has a bit more position versatility. I could see him starting at some point.

Well Morton clearly needs to go. When is the last time he devolved a WR? Crabtree had the talent on his own and who knows how good he would be with a better WR coach. At the same time Kaepernick needs to get better at working with his receivers by checking his other options, trusting the other guys, and learning how I read Defensive coverages.