• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patton VS Ellignton - Who wins?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless someone gets injured. Then we're back to square one. We need guys that we can depend upon.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see so many people down on Ellington. I actually thought he was one of our better picks.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ and to add to that, I'd take Ellington over Patton, quite honestly.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see so many people down on Ellington. I actually thought he was one of our better picks.

I'm pretty ambivalent toward the pick but when it's a midget who isn't particularly fast or a good return man I can see where the "Meh" feelings come from

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think he needs to be fast, he has quickness. As a point guard he's used to creating space and breaking ankles by juke moves and false steps. As a smaller guy this will benefit him in the NFL. And as stated, he's just learning the position and never fully dedicated himself to it as he was a dual sport athlete. He may never be a Steve Smith caliber starter but I'm excited to see how Ellington develops and his skill set is different from Pattons so they can coexist on the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think he needs to be fast, he has quickness. As a point guard he's used to creating space and breaking ankles by juke moves and false steps. As a smaller guy this will benefit him in the NFL. And as stated, he's just learning the position and never fully dedicated himself to it as he was a dual sport athlete. He may never be a Steve Smith caliber starter but I'm excited to see how Ellington develops and his skill set is different from Pattons so they can coexist on the team.

agree.....while we could use someone to 'stretch the field', more often we need someone who can create space in 'short' distances. this requires someone with quickness and he seems to be that guy? as a 4th round pick we shouldn't expect instant 'pro bowl' from Ellington, so we'll see?

Patton seems to be the outside receiver type, and nothing wrong with that either.

if Ellington is good at fielding punts, great. if not, wouldn't "push" that job on him.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty ambivalent toward the pick but when it's a midget who isn't particularly fast or a good return man I can see where the "Meh" feelings come from

Not particularly fast? Don't let the workout numbers fool you, Ellington burned SEC players on the regular.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just wondering, when these three are on the field at the same time, who would be in the slot?

They will rotate who is in the slot between the 3 but I think Boldin will play the most snaps in the slot and be the defacto 2nd TE

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No doubt he lacks height, but he's solidly built. He's a thicker Doug Baldwin. His forty was good not great, but his shuttles, threecone, and vertical were all very good.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against the Seahawks i would like to see us put Stevie against Sherman all day on the left side. Don't let Sherman get away with ignoring him all game.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is it 'learn' or 'willing'?

IMO it starts with the QB, not how many WR's.

Well, probably be more willing, but I just feel like they have used every slot type receiver we have had in the last few years in the completely worst way. Maybe they need to learn and be more willing?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I'm not down on Ellington, but I don't really see what he has on Patton as a receiver. He's a tiny bit faster than Patton IMO, but I think Patton's overall game is better.

The only thing I can figure is that they want him as a kick returner because Martavis Bryant was still on the board; and Bryant is a much tougher WR who blocks better. And a guy like that has a much better chance at being a good special teams player (unless you're talking about the guy actually returning the ball).

Last edited by a moderator:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt he lacks height, but he's solidly built. He's a thicker Doug Baldwin. His forty was good not great, but his shuttles, threecone, and vertical were all very good.

For sure, he's definitely not tiny. I was mainly referring to his height. Personally if we are going to have a 5-9, 5-10 type receiver I would like him to be a true burner/return man type but I'm not really down on the pick either. He was very good in college when I saw him play so I'm excited to see him play for the 49ers.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody know how big Ellington's hands are? He's a body catcher. At least Welker, Amendola, and Edelman have good hands.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does anybody know how big Ellington's hands are? He's a body catcher. At least Welker, Amendola, and Edelman have good hands.

His hands are pretty big for a small guy, but they're not enormous. 9 5/8''.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we ever run 4 WR sets my money is on Davis being the 4th receiver, unless we go empty backfield. If we are lucky with injuries we prolly won't see either on Sundays unless its returns.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not down on Ellington, but I don't really see what he has on Patton as a receiver. He's a tiny bit faster than Patton IMO, but I think Patton's overall game is better.

The only thing I can figure is that they want him as a kick returner because Martavis Bryant was still on the board; and Bryant is a much tougher WR who blocks better. And a guy like that has a much better chance at being a good special teams player (unless you're talking about the guy actually returning the ball).

He's faster, more explosive, more burst in short quarters and can contribute immediately on special teams. I think they are two different types of receivers anyways, so I don't see why it HAS to be one or the other. I don't think Brandon Lloyd makes the roster, so that gives us Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington and Osgood for special teams purposes.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't see why it HAS to be one or the other.

It does this year (barring unjury) because the #4 WR is probably going to get like 15 balls thrown to him all year & the #5 is probably gonna get zero.