• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patton VS Ellignton - Who wins?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's faster, more explosive, more burst in short quarters and can contribute immediately on special teams. I think they are two different types of receivers anyways, so I don't see why it HAS to be one or the other. I don't think Brandon Lloyd makes the roster, so that gives us Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington and Osgood for special teams purposes.

But Lloyd is the Jamal Crawford of football!

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's absolutely no excuse for giving up the ball on a punt return.

If he was getting there that fast, then LMJ should have signaled for a fair catch.

That's the point! Lockette is so fast and he makes up the distance between him and the returner so quickly that the returner thinks he has more time than he actually does. If you can remember the hit he put on a returner when he played the gunner that one game for the Niners in preseason, it was the same situation. He hit him right when he caught the ball because he made up the distance so quickly the receiver misjudged the time he had to catch the punt. Forget him as a receiver, but Lockette might turn out to be the best gunner in pro-football. The Niners were fools to put him on waivers. I don't know who they kept at gunner but he must have not worked out because they resigned Osgood (who they also had cut) a couple weeks later. That's another reason I have little respect for the special teams coach. The other reason is trying to make Williams a returner when it was obvious that he could not multitask and focus on two things at he same time.

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest it doesn't really matter. I hope Patton just because it would be a bust pick if he falls down the depth chart. Ellington will play special teams.

Actually not really because they were not picked that far from each other draft position wise. So in that regard, it would make more sense to say that Ellington was a bust pick because his draft class was much stronger so there were still a lot of good available options at WR and other positions left on the board than those that remained after Patton was chosen.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McDonald doesn't improve then they will run more 3 WR sets.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point! Lockette is so fast and he makes up the distance between him and the returner so quickly that the returner thinks he has more time than he actually does. If you can remember the hit he put on a returner when he played the gunner that one game for the Niners in preseason, it was the same situation. He hit him right when he caught the ball because he made up the distance so quickly the receiver misjudged the time he had to catch the punt. Forget him as a receiver, but Lockette might turn out to be the best gunner in pro-football. The Niners were fools to put him on waivers. I don't know who they kept at gunner but he must have not worked out because they resigned Osgood (who they also had cut) a couple weeks later. That's another reason I have little respect for the special teams coach. The other reason is trying to make Williams a returner when it was obvious that he could not multitask and focus on two things at he same time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79x0tjM5Va4]LaMichael James gets hit hard by Seahawks player - YouTube[/ame]

He's a good gunner. I'm not taking that away from him. But I completely disagree with you on excuses for a punt returner turning over the ball. If LMJ can't properly evaluate the time between a collision and a fast gunner, then LMJ shouldn't be back there fielding punts.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LaMichael James gets hit hard by Seahawks player - YouTube

He's a good gunner. I'm not taking that away from him. But I completely disagree with you on excuses for a punt returner turning over the ball. If LMJ can't properly evaluate the time between a collision and a fast gunner, then LMJ shouldn't be back there fielding punts.

agree, we want a punt returner who FIRST makes good decisions, and secures the ball. if he can't do this first, the amount of average yards isn't worth it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Too bad we missed out on Boykin last year.

Brandon Boykin? He was drafted in 2012, not last year. And he only returned 9 kickoffs last year (although he returned 45 as a rook').

He was Clyde's boy. Eagles got a deal on him in the 4th; I thought he was 2nd-round material. But the Niners didn't need a return man in 2012 w/ Ginn on the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Xponentialchaos: He's a good gunner. I'm not taking that away from him. But I completely disagree with you on excuses for a punt returner turning over the ball. If LMJ can't properly evaluate the time between a collision and a fast gunner, then LMJ shouldn't be back there fielding punts.

I watched the video and I must agree with you. That ball wasn't knocked loose - He just saw Lockette coming at the last minute and lost concentration. He should have called for a fair catch. I think I got this one mixed up with some of the other hits Lockette put on returners. I never thought LMJ was that effective as a returner this last season anyway. I mean he was ok but nothing really special. The season before he did have some good returns though.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasnt his forty like a 4.45?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I watched the video and I must agree with you. That ball wasn't knocked loose - He just saw Lockette coming at the last minute and lost concentration. He should have called for a fair catch. I think I got this one mixed up with some of the other hits Lockette put on returners. I never thought LMJ was that effective as a returner this last season anyway. I mean he was ok but nothing really special. The season before he did have some good returns though.

IMO he was a good kick returner and showed good potential as a punt returner.......once he had the ball. he showed enough shiftiness to make me think he'll break few good punt returns.........once he has the ball. granted some of those shakey catches were at Candlestick.

hoping we find another primary punt returner.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO he was a good kick returner and showed good potential as a punt returner.......once he had the ball. he showed enough shiftiness to make me think he'll break few good punt returns.........once he has the ball. granted some of those shakey catches were at Candlestick.

hoping we find another primary punt returner.

Yeah, I never really felt comfortable with LMJ fielding a punt. But once he had done so, he showed a knack for getting to the sideline and putting together a nice return. He never really showed the elite vision and wiggle to take one to the house up the middle, but his average was quite good. Perhaps all the more impressive because he never did break a really long PR.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I never really felt comfortable with LMJ fielding a punt. But once he had done so, he showed a knack for getting to the sideline and putting together a nice return. He never really showed the elite vision and wiggle to take one to the house up the middle, but his average was quite good. Perhaps all the more impressive because he never did break a really long PR.

maybe with a year of experience in punt returning, plus not being in Candlestick, he'll remain the PR? Still think we'll trade him but should he remain, maybe he catches better?

yes, he did have a good average so good potential for longer ones.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I doubt that LMJ will be a 9er for the start of the season.

Agreed. I think there's a pretty good chance we cut him. He's not a dynamic enough return man to stick just for that role - especially on such a deep team. We'll see, but Lattimore won't play on STs, which limits the number of RB spots a bit.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Baalke can manage to get anything more than a bag of chips for LMJ, I'll be extremely happy.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point, I'll take Warty's diseased ham sandwich he has been offering up since 1997 for James.

lunchbag.jpg