• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trent Dilfer just now on MNF pregame:

"The NE defense is playing better as a unit. There is one matchup tonight in this game that does not favor them vs. the Houston offense. It is when teams use 2 TEs or more."

He then goes on to show teams isolating the Patriots strength on defense - the linebackers.

"They do not handle basic pass concepts very well." Goes on to show them struggling against a basic shallow principle, that Dilfer says almost every good passing team uses. Houston "majors" in this. The Rams did it against them. Buffalo did it against them. Jets did it against them. Says that it is not dynamic guys at the TE spot that are doing it to them either.

The Patriots have gone to the nickel to make up for this problem but then the problem there for them has been that they are getting gashed in the run game vs. teams this season.

Thought I'd pass this stuff along.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

"The NE defense is playing better as a unit. There is one matchup tonight in this game that does not favor them vs. the Houston offense. It is when teams use 2 TEs or more."

He then goes on to show teams isolating the Patriots strength on defense - the linebackers.

"They do not handle basic pass concepts very well." Goes on to show them struggling against a basic shallow principle, that Dilfer says almost every good passing team uses. Houston "majors" in this. The Rams did it against them. Buffalo did it against them. Jets did it against them. Says that it is not dynamic guys at the TE spot that are doing it to them either.

The Patriots have gone to the nickel to make up for this problem but then the problem there for them has been that they are getting gashed in the run game vs. teams this season.

That's reassuring, to a degree. I'm still trying to temper my expectations for this game.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Albert Breer:

Texans players thought -- based on Pats' film vs. Seahawks and Jets -- their run game, getting big guys moving, was a tough matchup for NE.

And Arian Foster's giving early credence to the idea.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if still true next week, then we should go ahead and lean run. move downfield while burning some clock. we shouldn't try to pass too much against their nickel, take what they give us.

maybe this is where VD gets back into the passing attack?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't see how that helps us since we cannot seem to figure out how to get the ball to our tight ends.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gruden: Lloyd has been playing possum this season.

Oh, that's been his problem, huh? Yeah, I get it.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats are making the Texans D look silly right now.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, don't be a negative Nate

The diffference in Bellichick and Harbaugh (and just about every other coach) is that Harbaugh makes a plan based on "this is what we do and we are going to do it so see if you can stop us". And they work on those things to try and make sure they do them well. Bellichick, I believe, develops a plan each week based on the strengths and weaknesses of his opponent and they work on it till they have it. The problem with Harbaugh's approach is if the defense comes up with a plan to stop you and your stuff doesn't work, you are sunk. But look at what New England did to Houston last night with no wide receivers, missing their TE, and a bunch of nondiscript running backs? Its amazing.

Bellichick will definitely come up with something for Kaepernick as well. I'm interested to se how the 49ers do.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The diffference in Bellichick and Harbaugh (and just about every other coach) is that Harbaugh makes a plan based on "this is what we do and we are going to do it so see if you can stop us". And they work on those things to try and make sure they do them well. Bellichick, I believe, develops a plan each week based on the strengths and weaknesses of his opponent and they work on it till they have it. The problem with Harbaugh's approach is if the defense comes up with a plan to stop you and your stuff doesn't work, you are sunk. But look at what New England did to Houston last night with no wide receivers, missing their TE, and a bunch of nondiscript running backs? Its amazing.

Bellichick will definitely come up with something for Kaepernick as well. I'm interested to se how the 49ers do.

That is what I thought Walsh did as well, outsmart the opponent, fool him, do things he does not expect. Too many football coaches are just into being tougher than the opponent, just being more macho.

Very interesting game coming up but it sure looks like a tough one. Pats were pretty awesome last night. Welker might give us fits, like Harvin with did against Minn.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think McDaniels and Brady deserve more of the credit for the offense.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I thought Walsh did as well, outsmart the opponent, fool him, do things he does not expect. Too many football coaches are just into being tougher than the opponent, just being more macho.

Very interesting game coming up but it sure looks like a tough one. Pats were pretty awesome last night. Welker might give us fits, like Harvin with did against Minn.

Seemed it was more Kyle Rudolph than anyone else. My memory ain't what it used to be though.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think McDaniels and Brady deserve more of the credit for the offense.

No team is more prepared for its opponent week in and week out then Belllichick's team is. I don't profess to know the inner workings of how they get there. Having Brady definitely helps. He is one of the few who makes everyone arond him better.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Seemed it was more Kyle Rudolph than anyone else. My memory ain't what it used to be though.

Ponder and Rudolph were getting the breaks with the throws and catch...unbelievable...

but doesn't negate that we stunk it up(poorly performed)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ponder and Rudolph were getting the breaks with the throws and catch...unbelievable...

but doesn't negate that we stunk it up(poorly performed)

Yep, you'd think they didn't know Rudolph even existed.