• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Panthers @ 49ers

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Boldin catch with guys all over him or not? If he does I would feed him the ball 99 times out of 100. and why force coverage away from him if he is only gonna catch the ball with guys all over him? Your argument makes no sense.

Are you acting simple, or is this just going over your head?

Just because Boldin can make catches in traffic, doesn't mean you keep forcing it into him every single time; you're begging to be picked off if defenses start to key on him. He's not Calvin Johnson, so you can't just keep throwing it up and expecting him to always come down with it. The way you stop defenses from focusing on him is by having other legitimate threats on the field with him. This is why he went nuts in the playoffs, because Baltimore had Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones stretching the field, which allowed Boldin the room to work underneath.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find it very funny that some are completely ignoring the trash we currently have at WR, and then turn around and say that it shouldn't be an excuse because other QB's put up good numbers with nobodies at receiver. If this is true, please name the QB's that accomplish this feat. I can almost bet that not one single young QB is succeeding with receivers as bad as ours. I would take Seattle's receivers over ours, I would take Tennessee's, I would take Tampa Bay's, I would take Miami's. Get it yet? what do all of these teams have at receiver that we don't? Speed... You can't build a good passing offense with your only deep threat being your TE. Once VD leaves the field our passing attack becomes comical.

True dat. Also, we never even try to throw deep, really deep. Once in while we have been able to get Vernon 25-30 deeps, but real bomb attempts are extremely rare. Don't you have to at least attempt one or two per game to keep the D honest? Just send Williams deep and let it fly. Loosen 'em up.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True dat. Also, we never even try to throw deep, really deep. Once in while we have been able to get Vernon 25-30 deeps, but real bomb attempts are extremely rare. Don't you have to at least attempt one or two per game to keep the D honest? Just send Williams deep and let it fly. Loosen 'em up.

I agree. Williams will drop the ball anyway, but at least make the opposing D think about it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Aldon look today?, I didn't really pay attention to him, was he a factor at all ??

Limited action. As expected, we didn't hear his name get mentioned a lot today as far as football plays go. I remember he did get a good push on his first snap and nearly drove the offensive lineman into Cam Newton.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you acting simple, or is this just going over your head?

Just because Boldin can make catches in traffic, doesn't mean you keep forcing it into him every single time; you're begging to be picked off if defenses start to key on him. He's not Calvin Johnson, so you can't just keep throwing it up and expecting him to always come down with it. The way you stop defenses from focusing on him is by having other legitimate threats on the field with him. This is why he went nuts in the playoffs, because Baltimore had Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones stretching the field, which allowed Boldin the room to work underneath.
This is part of a post I made over in our Game Week thread:
Looking at the two games that SF lost, you have SEA and INDY. Some stats for both.
INDY-SEA
C. Kaepernick 13/28 127 4.5 0 3 3-20 14.0 20.1
Boldin only caught 1 pass for 7 yards. But that's because he had Sherman and crew playing man on him. Vernon Davis had 3 catches for 20 yards. They ran for 100 yards.

INDY-SF
C. Kaepernick 13/27 150 5.6 0 1 3-11 11.8 49.9
Boldin had 5 catches for 67 yards, and apparently Davis didn't play. They ran for 115 yards.

Contrast that with their wins against AZ, where Davis had 8/180, and Boldin 3/28, and against TENN, where Boldin went 5/74, Davis 4/62. They don't have any stellar playmakers at wideout, but when 9ers get combined production from these guys, they seem to win.

We need to stop the run, and do a good job on those two, imo. Davis is a hybrid TE/WR, and presents some coverage problems (like when Luke whiffed on Tony G last week on the TD throw, maybe) but Boldin is the one I worry about most, as he really knows how to find holes in zone coverage, and I don't think we have a guy who's going to go man with him all day.
Boldin went 3/23, and Davis had 1 catch before leaving, which I thought had a big impact on the game. Manningham looked ok out there, to be fair. R Wilson and Manuel from Buffalo did a lot of damage negating our pass rush, by using their feet, and throwing on the run. Kaep had some plays where he got out of the pocket and made plays here and there, but overall I thought we did a good job of closing his running lanes, and we stayed with the receivers on a few plays where he escaped the pocket (something we couldn't do earlier in the season). It was similar to what happened to Cam when we played the Cards.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it very funny that some are completely ignoring the trash we currently have at WR, and then turn around and say that it shouldn't be an excuse because other QB's put up good numbers with nobodies at receiver. If this is true, please name the QB's that accomplish this feat. I can almost bet that not one single young QB is succeeding with receivers as bad as ours. I would take Seattle's receivers over ours, I would take Tennessee's, I would take Tampa Bay's, I would take Miami's. Get it yet? what do all of these teams have at receiver that we don't? Speed... You can't build a good passing offense with your only deep threat being your TE. Once VD leaves the field our passing attack becomes comical.

WR's? the 9ers haven had a legit WR corps in longer then I can remember... this may even be their best in 5 years. This is the best overall team they have had in along time.

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hey at least we didn't give Kap a big contract.

Definitely. I seriously hope we don't. I'm sure some team still believes in his hype and we can steal a few picks.

I would would be ok if the extension is for no more than 8 mil/year. Any more, then trade him.

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope people look at Manziel the way they viewed Russel Wilson.

Grabbing Manziel with our 2nd or 3rd would really light a fire under Kap. And if he doesn't do well, then he can get traded.

RhojiF

Rhoji
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They need to take every read-option and pistol formation play out of the playbook and just shred them. It was cute last year but it does not work anymore.

This. God damn THIS.

No one is scared of Kap. Just hand the ball of to Gore and when needed, run play-action.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. God damn THIS.

No one is scared of Kap. Just hand the ball of to Gore and when needed, run play-action.

And the stats show Kap can only throw off of play-action.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina's defense just got better over the course of the season. St. Louis and Arizona defenses are looking very good lately. Can't overlook those two teams. Greg Roman has work to do.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure a team can win consistently with this level of ineptitude at the quarterback position.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The panthers did their best to give the 49ers the game with the two fumbles at the end but the 49ers refused to take it. Just a disgraceful performance. Heck, even the lowly Jags were able to win off of their bye week but not the 49ers, nope.