• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panda

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder who takes over at third now? Any chance they give Pill a few starts and see if he can fill in?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*clears throat*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I speculated last night in the game thread that Gillaspie would be called up. The kid is raking in Fresno.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Confirmed Gillaspie is up. In lineup and hitting second.

He's hitting over .500 in his last 10 games, btw.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Alex Pavlovic:

I’m told Sandoval actually hurt his hand in an earlier game but tried to play through it. He was originally checked out after Tuesday’s game.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confirmed that it is a broken hammate. This sucks.

Per Schulman: [MEDIA=twitter]198092732001026049[/MEDIA]

How do you break hammate on both hands? Damn. I've never even heard of the injury before Pablo last year.

I'm in the minority that wants to move Posey to third. But since Pablo was the emergency backup C, a Posey to 3B move may mean a Whiteside sighting

Edit: or give gillespie a shot

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How do you break hammate on both hands? Damn. I've never even heard of the injury before Pablo last year.

I'm in the minority that wants to move Posey to third. But since Pablo was the emergency backup C, a Posey to 3B move may mean a Whiteside sighting

Shit....forgot about that angle.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell does someone break BOTH hammate bones? He must have a VERY unique hitch in his swing that causes that injury.

We discussed this injury in depth last year, so we know that it is painful, but not susceptible to further injury. We also saw that he came back and played at an all-star level MUCH sooner than anticipated.

My new question, however, is whether someone can RE-break the hammate. He is clearly susceptible to it, so this is now a legit concern moving forward.

I think this question needs to be posed to DrB...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell does someone break BOTH hammate bones? He must have a VERY unique hitch in his swing that causes that injury.

We discussed this injury in depth last year, so we know that it is painful, but not susceptible to further injury. We also saw that he came back and played at an all-star level MUCH sooner than anticipated.

My new question, however, is whether someone can RE-break the hammate. He is clearly susceptible to it, so this is now a legit concern moving forward.

Legit concern indeed, and this is the second break going into what should be the prime of his career.

The hammate of Pablo is the heel of Achilles.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I believe they remove the hammate bone.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they remove the hammate bone.

That is indeed the procedure, and this is the hamate on his LEFT hand. Last year was the RIGHT hand.

He's out for 40 games.

This fucking sucks.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He holds the nob of the bat. Bagwell did the same thing, and you'll remember he had all sorts of hand issues because of it.

It's simply a matter of hand strength and bat speed out performing genetics. That bone break is super common in elite hitters. Griffey Jr. and Tulo both had it. It's just the type of thing where the rest of the body outperforms the skeleton.

Also, he didn't re-break it. They remove it once it's broken, so there is nothing to re-break. After this procedure, he has no more hamate bones left to break, so it's a non issue moving forward.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He holds the nob of the bat. Bagwell did the same thing, and you'll remember he had all sorts of hand issues because of it.

It's simply a matter of hand strength and bat speed out performing genetics. That bone break is super common in elite hitters. Griffey Jr. and Tulo both had it. It's just the type of thing where the rest of the body outperforms the skeleton.

Also, he didn't re-break it. They remove it once it's broken, so there is nothing to re-break. After this procedure, he has no more hamate bones left to break, so it's a non issue moving forward.

Shoulda just removed them in the offseason prophylactically. Like astronauts take out their appendices.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In honor of this devastating news, I've changed my board signature.

:(

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@hankschulman Key dates for Pablo last year: Fractured hamate 4/29, surgery 5/3, returned 6/14
That is uncanny if I'm reading the above right. (via Hank Schulman's twitter account)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is uncanny if I'm reading the above right. (via Hank Schulman's twitter account)

Creepy. So I can start a countdown for when Pablo returns AND my last day of classes on the same clock, looks like we will be returning home at about the same time.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I speculate who we might see at 3rd. Obviously, Gillaspie has been called up and Arias is here as well, but I wonder if Culberson gets a look at second and Arias/Burriss cover 3rd. Culberson has been on a tear lately.

Also speculate if the Giants try Dominguez.