• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers at Chargers

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde, why are you such a bitch whenever anyone disagrees with you? Maybe something to work on.

You may be talking about passer rating, but you're using examples of Smith's play to criticize the system. So I'd say I am in the right thread.

And you're right, passer rating isn't perfect. There isn't a perfect rating to gauge QB play, and there never will be. Though an ideal rating system would credit Smith for Davis' drop, even as it limits his benefit from the TD.

Why are you such a hyper-sensitive punk whenever someone says anything negative about Alex Smith? Are you that offended and taken back that I'm using an Alex Smith play to discredit QB rating? I can use another QB if that will make you feel better.

Sure, let's credit him for the Davis drop. As long as we discredit him for the stupid sack he took today and the numerous overthrows this week and last.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Again, I misread what you said earlier so please disregard the comparison...

You wanna talk about Davis' drop? Okay. Let's talk about Smith's two huge overthrows to Crabtree last week.

Well, I DID say he had a great GAME, not 2 games. And that Davis drop was his best pass of the day; he stood tall in the pocket when it was collapsing & threw a strike with defenders all around him.

Let's talk about the ball that was literally inches away from being intercepted today.

Ok, but it wasn't intercepted.

Let's talk about Smith completely missing Gore being wide open in the flat today on 3rd down late in the second quarter in the Redskins' territory. Are we really gonna act like Smith doesn't leave any points on the field?

Well, if you read my original post I think we're pretty close on our analysis on his game, but we're way off in our appreciation thereof. I said he was efficient; no big mistakes, a couple bad throws & a couple times he got screwed; wanted more in the red zone but overall I'm happy. That's a great game IMO. I'll take that on the road any day.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I DID say he had a great GAME, not 2 games. And that Davis drop was his best pass of the day; he stood tall in the pocket when it was collapsing & threw a strike with defenders all around him.

And I simply disagree. I never said he had a bad game, just that he didn't have a great game. But, as usual, hyper-sensitive and psycho-defensive pricks came jumping down my throat for daring to question Alex Smith's performance. It's absolutely ridiculous how shell-shocked this board has become when it comes to the Alex topic.

Ok, but it wasn't intercepted.

And the pass to Davis wasn't caught. Glad you're catching up.

Well, if you read my original post I think we're pretty close on our analysis on his game, but we're way off in our appreciation thereof. I said he was efficient; no big mistakes, a couple bad throws & a couple times he got screwed; wanted more in the red zone but overall I'm happy. That's a great game IMO. I'll take that on the road any day.

I don't hold Alex Smith to a different standard than any other QB in the league. A mediocre game is a mediocre game, a great game is a great game. Alex Smith was decent. He has developed into a nice game manager. Quite frankly I'm tired of people making Alex Smith threads every week talking about how he needs his due cred. He gets plenty of it on this board.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And I simply disagree.

About what part? The pass? Or the overall game?

And the pass to Davis wasn't caught. Glad you're catching up.

Alex can't control whether Davis catches the ball or not. He CAN control the difference between inches away from a pick and an actual pick.

Quite frankly I'm tired of people making Alex Smith threads every week talking about how he needs his due cred. He gets plenty of it on this board.

Well I can't control the other threads, but I've started maybe 2 or 3 Alex Smith threads all season, and he's the starting QB. When there's new football to break down it seems like an appropriate time for a new thread...

I expect mediocrity from Alex, so I'm pleasantly surprised when I see a game like today's.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with clyde. People say Smith has these 'good' games. Where I dont see it. He had a very average game in my mind. People judge Alex Smith on a 'Alex Smith scale'. I judge All QBs on a 'NFL QB scale'.

I thought Beck had a very poor game, but if it was on the 'Alex Smith scale' then Beck had a good game.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I expect mediocrity from Alex, so I'm pleasantly surprised when I see a game like today's.

His game today was mediocore in my opinion. Couple good throws, couple bad throws, no 'great' or 'wow' plays. Very average game I thought.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yikes. I think your last 2 posts were patently absurd, but I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ive stated it before Alex isnt great but he isnt terrible. He is average and probably always will be. Real question is, can we make a big push with an avg QB? I think its very possible.

I doubt you disagree that Smith is an avg QB? Probably 18-25th best QB in the league, skill and talent wise. Even though stats show differently.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I doubt you disagree that Smith is an avg QB? Probably 18-25th best QB in the league, skill and talent wise. Even though stats show differently.

I don't disagree Smith is a mediocre QB; I disagree that he's having a mediocre season and that his play today was just decent.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex had a good game for 'Alex Smith'. I just dont think you can do that though, because if Say Rodgers had Smiths game everyone would say, 'Thats a bad game for Rodgers'.

If that makes sense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think Alex had a great game "for Alex Smith." I think he had a great game period.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hear what your saying, for sure.

Its weird stats show Smith is having a helluva year, but watching him shows me his play is very mediocore. Is there a such thing as a system product QB in the NFL? Lol

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well if we're talking about systems I don't see how ythe Niners' would benefit Alex. The OL is playing well, but it's better at run-blocking than pass-blocking. His receivers are well below average IMO.

It's not like he has the pass-blocking / receiving talent of Atlanta, Green Bay, Carolina, Detroit, Houston (when Andre's healthy) Dallas... in fact, I'd probably put Alex's pass blocking and receiver play combination around the middle of the pack or worse this season.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Smith had a great game then Freeman, Hasselbeck, Dalton, Romo, Brees, Rodgers, Moore, Sanchez, Ryan, Manning, Tebow, and Beck all had great weeks? All statistically had very simular games and impacts.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Smith had a great game then Freeman, Hasselbeck, Dalton, Romo, Brees, Rodgers, Moore, Sanchez, Ryan, Manning, Tebow, and Beck all had great weeks? All statistically had very simular games and impacts.

So let's just pick out Beck since he played against Smith.

Smith threw for 200 yards on 24 passes and completed over 70%. He threw 1 TD and 0 INTs.

Beck threw for 254 on 47 attempts completing less than 66%. He threw a TD and an INT.

How are those statistically similar?

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
By system I mean its strictly tailored for his talents, or lack of. I mean kudos to the coaching staff they are getting all they can from what he offers (which isnt much imo)

I do disagree that our WRs are below average. Smith makes them look bad with his lack of talent. They dont get the same chances of other WR with skilled QBs. Smith misses them and since we dont ask much from Smith the WRs have to play within that system.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Alex probably had a better game than about 7 of the 12 QBs you just mentioned.

...And Tebow & Beck? Seriously?

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes Tebow. His game as a whole as just as good as smith. Imo

People claim Smith had a good week vs Det. His statline was 17/34 125 1td 1 int.