• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers at Chargers

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rivers & Co set up at the 31 for a 1st & 69

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Von Miller destroyed the Raiders at the end of that game.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unbelievable pass to Gates and now an almost INT.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Smith's QB rating today was 110. Without the wide open TD to Bruce Miller that QB rating drops 20 points to 90. I refuse to acknowledge a rating system that's skewed so much by one play. A play that any starting QB in the NFL should make, at that.

It's a ludicrous system that de-emphasizes situational football. It doesn't take into account YACs by WRs, failed 3rd down attempts, easy throws, tough throws, etc. Instead, it values garbage time TDs/yards as much as TDs and yards in crucial situations. Look at Rivers today. He spotted the Packers 14 points in the first quarter and his rating was still 106.

GTFO of here with that shit. The only way to judge a QB is by watching him play, not by looking looking at what might be the dumbest player rating system in sports.

How many more points would he have had if Davis brought down a ball that hit his hands? Much less if he got into the endzone as he certainly could have?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As poorly as Rivers played, it's a miracle this game was as close as it was. He got REALLY lucky with several PIs on uncatchable balls.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As the announcer said, too little - too late.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many more points would he have had if Davis brought down a ball that hit his hands? Much less if he got into the endzone as he certainly could have?

Why are we talking about plays that didn't happen? I'm sure I can come up with a few that Alex Smith missed that didn't affect his QB rating.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why are we talking about plays that didn't happen? I'm sure I can come up with a few that Alex Smith missed that didn't affect his QB rating.

Why are you discounting a play? If you're going to knock him for an easy TD, you should reward him for a drop on a great throw. After all, it's Smith's play we're evaluating, not what others around him do.

Smith was solid. He wasn't great. We'll need more from him to win in the playoffs. But talking about what is rating would have been without the TD is just plain dumb.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Dude, this post is sounding a little you-know-who like. We all get that you don't care about passer ratings and you thought Smith had a bad game today...

You may have missed what I meant by historical perspective. When comparing numbers the only fair thing to do is compare against the average over the course of their respective careers. That's why you can't compare Brett Favre's #'s 1 to 1 against Bart Starr's numbers. The rules are different, and penalties are called differently. It's kind of like comparing ERAs from the 1890's to the 1990's. Nobody does that; but they statistitians often compare ERAs against the average from two different eras.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Has to be rough for Chargers fans, they have such high potential but Rivers takes way too many risks. He's turning into Farve.

That is an interesting comment, I see exactly what you are saying. It was definitely feast or famine today for sure.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, this post is sounding a little you-know-who like. We all get that you don't care about passer ratings and you thought Smith had a bad game today...

You may have missed what I meant by historical perspective. When comparing numbers the only fair thing to do is compare against the average over the course of their respective careers. That's why you can't compare Brett Favre's #'s 1 to 1 against Bart Starr's numbers. The rules are different, and penalties are called differently. It's kind of like comparing ERAs from the 1890's to the 1990's. Nobody does that; but they statistitians often compare ERAs against the average from two different eras.

Like who, Cazic? Are you an idiot? All what Cazic did was use Alex Smith's QB rating against him.

And show me a single post where I said Alex Smith had a bad game. ONE.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you discounting a play? If you're going to knock him for an easy TD, you should reward him for a drop on a great throw. After all, it's Smith's play we're evaluating, not what others around him do.

Smith was solid. He wasn't great. We'll need more from him to win in the playoffs. But talking about what is rating would have been without the TD is just plain dumb.

I'm not discounting the play. It was a great play. I'm discounting its affect on the QB rating. What's so hard to understand about that?

This debate isn't about Smith, it's about QB rating. I think you're in the wrong thread.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is an interesting comment, I see exactly what you are saying. It was definitely feast or famine today for sure.

I haven't seen too many Chargers games, but today's game reminded me a lot of Favre when he started thinking nothing could stop him.. even triple coverage. Sure, Rivers had some unlucky bounces, but this is a game that slipped away because of his mistakes.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

My apologies; Average game? Slightly above average game? Slightly below?

And another apology; I misread what you were saying about the Alex. The post was apropos.

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I haven't seen too many Chargers games, but today's game reminded me a lot of Favre when he started thinking nothing could stop him.. even triple coverage. Sure, Rivers had some unlucky bounces, but this is a game that slipped away because of his mistakes.

Hahaha...Spot-on! Brett, by virtue of his nominal statistics, has more, 'WTF was that' plays then anyone I can remember...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not discounting the play. It was a great play. I'm discounting its affect on the QB rating. What's so hard to understand about that?

This debate isn't about Smith, it's about QB rating. I think you're in the wrong thread.

Clyde, why are you such a bitch whenever anyone disagrees with you? Maybe something to work on.

You may be talking about passer rating, but you're using examples of Smith's play to criticize the system. So I'd say I am in the right thread.

And you're right, passer rating isn't perfect. There isn't a perfect rating to gauge QB play, and there never will be. Though an ideal rating system would credit Smith for Davis' drop, even as it limits his benefit from the TD.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like who, Cazic? Are you an idiot? All what Cazic did was use Alex Smith's QB rating against him.

No, you just took a post that had nothing to do with what you were arguing and made it back into the point you were arguing. That post was going over-board with this.

My apologies; Average game? Slightly above average game? Slightly below?

Because when we're talking about QB rating, the only thing that matters are the plays that happened, and the plays the wrongfully skew the points either positively or negatively. You wanna talk about Davis' drop? Okay. Let's talk about Smith's two huge overthrows to Crabtree last week. Let's talk about the ball that was literally inches away from being intercepted today. Let's talk about Smith completely missing Gore being wide open in the flat today on 3rd down late in the second quarter in the Redskins' territory. Are we really gonna act like Smith doesn't leave any points on the field?

He had a decent game. He's developed into a nice game-manager, nothing less, nothing more. But to say he was "great"? C'mon. Quite frankly, I think he's a bit lucky he hasn't turned the ball over more this season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I thought Rivers looked terrible most of the game. Really uncomfortable in the pocket, repeatedly rolled right directly into Clay Matthews (once, fine, but he did this at least three or four times that I saw and I wasn't paying that much attention). And he was constantly putting too much air under his passes. I'm not sure if this is a product of thinking nothing could stop him. Given his results this season, you'd think he's be acutely aware of just how many things can stop him.