• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2 is loaded

Cal at TCU
Colorado vs. Texas A&M
Oregon at Ohio State
Stanford at USC
Utah at BYU
Washington at Michigan

Those are a lot of tough road games. If the PAC has a bad day, you know the national media is going to pounce.
BYU had a good record last year. Lost to the only team with a pulse. Had they played their original schedule, 6-6 is the most likely outcome...

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU had a good record last year. Lost to the only team with a pulse. Had they played their original schedule, 6-6 is the most likely outcome...

I agree. I'm not convinced BYU had a great team last year.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their schedule is limited to nonP5 teams, many on the Committee feel there is no external validation of their strength.

I don’t necessarily agree, but it’s the prevailing logic used.

It will be interesting to see how the committee considers a normal BYU schedule if they were to go 11-1 or 12-0.

In 2021 they got:

vs. Arizona (in Las Vegas)
Utah
Arizona State
USF
at Utah State
Boise State
at Baylor
at Washington State
Virginia
Idaho State
at Georgia Southern
at USC

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC's schedule looks pretty manageable. No Friday night games, 7 home games, a bye before the ND game, no Oregon or UW unless in the CCG . The toughest stretch looks to be back to back road games vs. ASU and Cal. Looks like Oregon and UW got similar scheduling.

It's almost like Larry Scott is already gone and someone who knows how to schedule for a conferences marquee teams took over.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC's schedule looks pretty manageable. No Friday night games, 7 home games, a bye before the ND game, no Oregon or UW unless in the CCG . The toughest stretch looks to be back to back road games vs. ASU and Cal. Looks like Oregon and UW got similar scheduling.

It's almost like Larry Scott is already gone and someone who knows how to schedule for a conferences marquee teams took over.

Oregon's schedule is pretty manageable. Only one Friday game but Oregon has a bye before it so no short week. No back to back road games, which is nice. Still have to play at UW, at Stanford, at UCLA and at Utah but that's the rotation.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how the committee considers a normal BYU schedule if they were to go 11-1 or 12-0.

In 2021 they got:

Utah
Arizona State
USF
at Utah State
Boise State
at Baylor
at Washington State
Virginia
Idaho State
at Georgia Southern
at USC

Damn near half the PAC-12 (including the expected top 2 teams in the South), Virginia and Baylor. Even their "mid-majors" are solid with Boise and USF. That's a schedule that can be taken seriously. I wonder if they're trying to get into a conference? Or just trying to schedule more like the Domers typically do?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn near half the PAC-12 (including the expected top 2 teams in the South), Virginia and Baylor. Even their "mid-majors" are solid with Boise and USF. That's a schedule that can be taken seriously. I wonder if they're trying to get into a conference? Or just trying to schedule more like the Domers typically do?

I think BYU is largely content with their independent status but their attendance has taken a dip recently (IIRC). I think they are trying to schedule more P5 games to keep their attendance numbers up.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think BYU really wants to be in a conference. They should already be in the Pac 12 but we know why that won’t happen.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think BYU really wants to be in a conference. They should already be in the Pac 12 but we know why that won’t happen.

Same reason they aren’t in the big 12. They don’t bring enough to the table to justify expanding

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from Social issues, they bring nothing to the table. They like to pretend they are the Notre Dame of the west bringing a national audience, but they don't and are not. TV audience, no. Local audience is covered by Utah, even by BYU fans who are cheering for us to lose. MWC was glad to have them gone...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from Social issues, they bring nothing to the table. They like to pretend they are the Notre Dame of the west bringing a national audience, but they don't and are not. TV audience, no. Local audience is covered by Utah, even by BYU fans who are cheering for us to lose. MWC was glad to have them gone...
You cannot honestly sit there and say Utah is equal to BYU. That is like saying WSU is better than UW because we draw equally from the exact same market as UW does.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same reason they aren’t in the big 12. They don’t bring enough to the table to justify expanding
They brought more to the table than Utah or Colorado did. There is a reason we don’t have a Pac 16 West and East right now. And it is the exact reason the 12 consists of Utah over BYU.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ASU goes to the Northwest back to back after the USC game. Rough stretch that seems a little punitive with two cold weather games in a row. Ignoring USC and @UW back to back, then we get our 3rd Corvalis trip in 3 years right after that, and all in November. Kind of lame how that works out, since Corvalis has often been a house of horrors for us.

Last edited:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In 2021 they got:

Utah
Arizona State
USF
at Utah State
Boise State
at Baylor
at Washington State
Virginia
Idaho State
at Georgia Southern
at USC
They'd be in with that schedule if they went 12-0, I think. Or close enough to bitch up a storm.

Moot point though. Even if they don't lose to Utah again, ASU is going to blow their doors off. BYU lost a shit ton while ASU returns fucking everyone, and I think we'd have won last year if the game was played. I'll be disappointed if we don't win by 3 scores @BYU.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU is not, or at least was not last I checked, a significant research school. Neither is Boise. Neither fit the Pac 12 parameters outside of "good at football". Full membership, at least in the eyes of the powers that be, requires you to belong fully. They don't.

There are not very many realistic options for Pac 12 expansion outside of poaching from other conferences in the near future, primarily due to the fact that there already 4 Cali schools and 2 from Oregon, Arizona and Washington. And more schools from Colorado or Utah don't add anything. If Boise became a higher end research school maybe, but realistically the population just doesn't justify anything. If the Pac expands, it's poaching from the Big 12 or waiting for a higher population, endowment and research activity in one of the rocky mountain states. But it won't be BYU. That'll never happen. They fucked up the easy Big 12 poach because of Baylor for the same reasons.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In 2021 they got:

Utah
Arizona State
USF
at Utah State
Boise State
at Baylor
at Washington State
Virginia
Idaho State
at Georgia Southern
at USC
I will be in Utah for the BYU game. Go Devils!