• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mighty Pac12....

Pac12 QB's in the NFL

Warren Moon
Aaron Rodgers
Troy Aikman
Andrew Luck
Dan Fouts
John Brodie
Drew Bledsoe
Jim Plunkett
Carson Palmer
Danny White

No other conference compares to that.

Last edited:

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mighty Pac12....

Pac12 QB's in the NFL

Warren Moon
Aaron Rodgers
Troy Aikman
Andrew Luck
Dan Fouts
John Brodie
Drew Bledsoe
Jim Plunkett
Carson Palmer
Danny White

Just think the track athletes will have a 270 Million Dollar venue to compete in going forward.

You forgot Hall of Famer Norm Van Brocklin that still holds the the single game
passing record.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think the track athletes will have a 270 Million Dollar venue to compete in going forward.

You forgot Hall of Famer Norm Van Brocklin that still holds the the single game
passing record.

The Pac12 has a long and great history in track and field, TONS of Olympians.

Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield, what a weird deal that was with the Rams.What a great offense with bull RB's Tank Younger and Deacon Dan Towler and HOF WR's to be Tom Fears and "Crazy Legs Hirsh.

While USC has had a truck load of great running backs they haven't had that GREAT QB, kinda weird.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mighty Pac12....

Pac12 QB's in the NFL

Warren Moon
Aaron Rodgers
Troy Aikman
Andrew Luck
Dan Fouts
John Brodie
Drew Bledsoe
Jim Plunkett
Carson Palmer
Danny White

No truck stops in this conference

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While USC has had a truck load of great running backs they haven't had that GREAT QB, kinda weird.

Imo, it's for much of the same reason that you don't see great QB's from a lot of the bigger schools. Wide open in college and wide open in the NFL are 2 very different things.

The talent gap between the guys they're throwing to and the guys that are covering can be pretty big. That leads to a lot of plays where receivers are open by 5-6 yards. That's just playing catch. In the NFL, if you see a guy that open, there was a blown coverage or the defender fell down. Transitioning to that can be very difficult. It's also why QB's from smaller schools often perform better. Even in college, they are throwing into tighter windows than the QB's at the big schools.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, it's for much of the same reason that you don't see great QB's from a lot of the bigger schools. Wide open in college and wide open in the NFL are 2 very different things.

The talent gap between the guys they're throwing to and the guys that are covering can be pretty big. That leads to a lot of plays where receivers are open by 5-6 yards. That's just playing catch. In the NFL, if you see a guy that open, there was a blown coverage or the defender fell down. Transitioning to that can be very difficult. It's also why QB's from smaller schools often perform better. Even in college, they are throwing into tighter windows than the QB's at the big schools.

Yep, you got it but you'd think a school like USC would have more solid NFL QB, and they haven't.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, you got it but you'd think a school like USC would have more solid NFL QB, and they haven't.
Prior to about 2000, you could say it was due to being known as Tailback U. Since then, the closest to having really good NFL careers were probably Palmer and Leinart. Injuries got Palmer and a little bit of a numbers game and not responding to it well, got Leinart.

Booty, Sanchez and Kessler were never going to be anything but backup QB's or in the case of Sanchez, he could have been a starter if he had really good pieces around him. He wasn't going to be leading a team anywhere.

Darnold has a chance to still make it as an NFL QB if Gase didn't ruin him already.

But yeah, you'd think we'd have 1 guy who got to the NFL and ended up at least being really, really good.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mighty Pac12....

Pac12 QB's in the NFL

Warren Moon
Aaron Rodgers
Troy Aikman
Andrew Luck
Dan Fouts
John Brodie
Drew Bledsoe
Jim Plunkett
Carson Palmer
Danny White

You forgot about John Elway.

But, getting back to your original list, only 3 of those 10 QB's ever won a Super Bowl, although one or two others may have played on teams that made it to the Super Bowl. Aikman leads the way with 3 championships, but UCLA has to share him with Oklahoma. Elway won 2, as did Plunkett. Rogers managed to win the only Super Bowl he made it to.

I'd say the Pac-8/10/12 has been more consistent in getting QB's there over the years, but I wouldn't say nobody else has come close. The SEC has produced at least 5 Super Bowl-winning QB,s, including the winners of the first three such games in Bart Starr in 1966 & '67, and Joe Namath in 1968. Starr also guided the Green Bay Packers to NFL championships in 1961, '62 & '65, prior to the years of the Super Bowl.

Kenny Stabler also won a Super Bowl a few years down the road, and Peyton Manning & Eli Manning snagged two apiece.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot about John Elway.

But, getting back to your original list, only 3 of those 10 QB's ever won a Super Bowl, although one or two others may have played on teams that made it to the Super Bowl. Aikman leads the way with 3 championships, but UCLA has to share him with Oklahoma. Elway won 2, as did Plunkett. Rogers managed to win the only Super Bowl he made it to.

I'd say the Pac-8/10/12 has been more consistent in getting QB's there over the years, but I wouldn't say nobody else has come close. The SEC has produced at least 5 Super Bowl-winning QB,s, including the winners of the first three such games in Bart Starr in 1966 & '67, and Joe Namath in 1968. Starr also guided the Green Bay Packers to NFL championships in 1961, '62 & '65, prior to the years of the Super Bowl.

Kenny Stabler also won a Super Bowl a few years down the road, and Peyton Manning & Eli Manning snagged two apiece.

I was thinking, I am forgetting somebody, yep....Elway.

Let me try this again....

Hall of famers

Dan Fouts
Norm Van Brocklin
Warren Moon
Troy Aikman
John Elway
Aaron Rodgers to be

Now add....

Jim Plunkett
Carson Palmer
John Brodie
Steve Bartkowski
Drew Bledsoe
Danny White
Andrew Luck
Jake Plummer
Mark Brunell
Mark Rypien

SEC

Hall of Famers

Bart Starr
Joe Namath......all because of one game
Kenny Stabler
Peyton Manning
Fran Tarkenton
Y.A. Tittle

Add

Matthew Stafford
Eli Manning.......HOFER????
Dak Prescott
Cam Newton

Who am I forgetting?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, BYU brings absolutely nothing to conference.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, BYU brings absolutely nothing to conference.

I find them kind of interesting. I could see an argument where joining a conference could be good for both them and the conference. But I can also see the argument where they would make no difference for the conference and actually hurt themselves a bit.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's absolutely no good reason for the PAC 12 to expand for BYU, San Diego State, Boise State or any of those schools. It's nothing against those schools, they may even be able to compete. The only reason the PAC should expand is to bring in top tier programs and/or expand their footprint.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find them kind of interesting. I could see an argument where joining a conference could be good for both them and the conference. But I can also see the argument where they would make no difference for the conference and actually hurt themselves a bit.
BYU won’t hurt themselves by joining, in a conference or out of the conference they will always have 25-28 year old or post mission Mormons going there to play sports. Besides the dumb negatives against them that I think are bigoted, the conference expanding is a net loss unless the new television/streaming or whatever contract is for a lot more money because there are two or however many more mouths to feed.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU won’t hurt themselves by joining, in a conference or out of the conference they will always have 25-28 year old or post mission Mormons going there to play sports. Besides the dumb negatives against them that I think are bigoted, the conference expanding is a net loss unless the new television/streaming or whatever contract is for a lot more money because there are two or however many more mouths to feed.

When I say "hurt themselves" I'm talking more about their "prestige/brand". Right now, as an Independent, they are kind of seen as "Notre Dame lite". They can schedule who they want and they get their fair share of "bigger teams" that will schedule them because they are a team that counts as a "quality win" but isn't likely to actually beat your team. The fact that they occasionally do, only helps.

If they were to join the PAC or Big 12 and just settled into being a middle of the pack type team that threatened to win their division every few years, that likely hurts their brand while also doing nothing for the conference.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say "hurt themselves" I'm talking more about their "prestige/brand". Right now, as an Independent, they are kind of seen as "Notre Dame lite". They can schedule who they want and they get their fair share of "bigger teams" that will schedule them because they are a team that counts as a "quality win" but isn't likely to actually beat your team. The fact that they occasionally do, only helps.

If they were to join the PAC or Big 12 and just settled into being a middle of the pack type team that threatened to win their division every few years, that likely hurts their brand while also doing nothing for the conference.
Eh, I just don’t think their brand will get hurt with the people that BYU attracts, alumnus or fans. In the National media sure, but BYU isn’t like a SC where the media perception can hurt their recruiting, their fans etc. The UW/Pac 12 smear campaign on them this past season didn’t effect them one iota.

I can see why someone would equate BYU and Notre Dame but I don’t really see a similarity outside of they are currently independent, the huge fan base and the school was founded upon religion. IIRC isn’t that how SC was founded as well? But I got family that are Domers and the faux Cougars. The difference between them IMO is night and day.

I don’t think them going 3-9 would hurt the conference an ounce. The only problem to me with BYU is if the conference doesn’t make a crap load more money because a lot athletic departments are screwed right now and can’t afford to split more money, and the issue with Olympic sports because they don’t play on Sundays. Which while that is a hinderance, the entire Pac 12 conference schedule is based off Notre Dame’s schedule so I think the excuse of it is too hard is a joke.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU and ND aren't comparable. ND has a national brand, BYU has a regional brand. ND has a much larger fanbase.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never knew that. When did the name change happen?

1912. They were known as the Methodists or Wesleyans. An LA Times columnist wrote an article about "the fighting spirit of USC athletes" and called them "Trojan". The name stuck.