• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pablo Sandoval - This didn't take long

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted, I don't know anything about the history of this spat with Band of Brothers, but from my perspective, if you're getting bent over him saying he considers San Francisco his city, you're pretty sensitive too.

You do have to be a regular to get the nuances but he was saying he's more sensitive because he's a local. Well, most of us are too and we manage to be less sensitive and insanely optimistic. Him being a local is nothing special here.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think going to the games and spending my money on the team means something. I have also been a fan for 45 years now. I have a lot invested in the team. If you feel the same or not that's up to you but I have been with this team a long time and especially through the lean times. When you are invested as much as I am I think I have a right to be pissed with Pablo . Everyone feels different about the team and am just explaining my viewpoint. Everyone is entitled to feel what they want.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Who is Aubrey Huff?" Sandoval asked in response to a post made by the former first baseman on Facebook. "What is important here is to see where the person who made those comments is, and where I am now, that's what counts."

He knows damn well who Aubrey Huff is. He's the guy who carried the Giants to the 2010 World Series title while Sandoval's fat ass sat on the bench wher it belonged.

exactly, Huff came up real big in 2010. Wouldn't have made it without him

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked Brian Wilson's shtick for about 15 minutes. Then he seemed more worried about being Brian Wilson than being a major league pitcher.

That dude was raised about 8 miles down the road from me and I never liked his schtick. He should have gone into WWE wrestling.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Indians fan, watching players walking in free agency, or being traded away in return for a half dozen fungo bats and a case of Big League Chew is pretty much par for the course.

I will say that I was touched when Victor Martinez was traded. Not so much because he was going - I'm used to the players going - but because he cried on his way out. Most players are like, "peace out, bitches!" but Victor was genuinely sad to go. Then again, he just signed a contract to stay in the shitbox that is Detroit, so the fact is, he's probably just off his fucking rocker.

I won't say I can relate to that because I can't. Despite the 86 year WS drought and the fact that I was 44 when it finally "rained" in Boston we still had some pretty freakin good teams off and on during the 70's, 80's and 90's.

That being said, I don't get this "I have invested so much" into this team thing. Never did get that :noidea:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabermetrically speaking, the gap between Pablo Sandoval and the newly-acquired Casey McGehee was closer than you might expect at first glance. Sandoval posted a .279/.324/.415 slash line, 16 homers, a 111 wRC+ and .323 wOBA over 638 PA last season and generated 3.0 fWAR. In his return to North American baseball after spending 2013 in Japan, McGehee hit .287/.355/.357 with four homers over 691 PA, good for a 102 wRC+, .319 wOBA and 2.0 fWAR. Since McGehee will earn $4.8MM in 2015 as compared to Sandoval’s $17MM salary from the Red Sox, the Giants will be overjoyed if there’s only a one-win gap between the two third basemen next year.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both.

Seems to me its a choice between a chamber pot and a commode. Neither should be looking down on the other.

Hehehe. Granted, neither is going to be accused of being the best city in the US, but I'd rather live where I do than a lot of other places. I disagree that neither should be looking down on the other. Same with Pittsburg. If we can't look down at those places, what are we going to look down on?

For what it's worth, I really like San Francisco. Some really awesome stuff there. In fact, Mrs Redfoot and I got married a little north of there and spent a couple days of our honeymoon in San Fran before heading south. I would seriously consider moving to northern CA if it weren't for two things:

1) someday it's going to fall into the ocean, and I don't want to be there when it does
2) the inhabitants

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGehee has been tearing it up so far this spring hitting around .500. He looks right at home in a Giants Uni.

Go Giants !!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hehehe. Granted, neither is going to be accused of being the best city in the US, but I'd rather live where I do than a lot of other places. I disagree that neither should be looking down on the other. Same with Pittsburg. If we can't look down at those places, what are we going to look down on?

For what it's worth, I really like San Francisco. Some really awesome stuff there. In fact, Mrs Redfoot and I got married a little north of there and spent a couple days of our honeymoon in San Fran before heading south. I would seriously consider moving to northern CA if it weren't for two things:

1) someday it's going to fall into the ocean, and I don't want to be there when it does
2) the inhabitants

That's perfect. We've got more than enough peeps in the City as it is.
As I used to say when I was in school in the Midwest and they'd ask me about SF "you'd hate it; better to stay here."

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabermetrically speaking, the gap between Pablo Sandoval and the newly-acquired Casey McGehee was closer than you might expect at first glance. Sandoval posted a .279/.324/.415 slash line, 16 homers, a 111 wRC+ and .323 wOBA over 638 PA last season and generated 3.0 fWAR. In his return to North American baseball after spending 2013 in Japan, McGehee hit .287/.355/.357 with four homers over 691 PA, good for a 102 wRC+, .319 wOBA and 2.0 fWAR. Since McGehee will earn $4.8MM in 2015 as compared to Sandoval’s $17MM salary from the Red Sox, the Giants will be overjoyed if there’s only a one-win gap between the two third basemen next year.

While I do think Sandoval has been fairly highly overrated, particularly by Giants fans, I always question WAR stats. First, there are different formulas for the basic WAR, depending who you ask. Secondly, they're all over the place. To wit, BP has Sandoval's 2014 oWAR as 3.0 and his dWAR at 0.6 and McGehee's as 1.4 and -0.1. So, by those WAR metrics, Sandoval's 2014 significantly betters McGehee's, yet FG's fWAR isn't bearing that out. Why?

Also, everything that I have read about advanced defensive metrics indicates that they can be extremely fluky in any given year and that you need a fairly large sample size to glean anything good from them. With that in mind, it might be worth noting that Sandoval's career dWAR is 0.9 compared to McGehee's -2.1.

As overrated as Sandoval may or may not be, I wouldn't go betting on the idea of a poor defender with average at best offensive skills who as recently as 2013 was relegated to the Chiba Lotte Ham Fighters doing much to fill Panda's shoes.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2) the inhabitants

There are always trade-offs. SF Bay Area is a nice place that I like to visit. Grew up there as a young kid. For me, the worst thing is the cost of living. Very expensive place to live. Very few people can afford to purchase real estate in and around SF. Even apartment rents in San Francisco are out of control.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do think Sandoval has been fairly highly overrated, particularly by Giants fans, I always question WAR stats. First, there are different formulas for the basic WAR, depending who you ask. Secondly, they're all over the place. To wit, BP has Sandoval's 2014 oWAR as 3.0 and his dWAR at 0.6 and McGehee's as 1.4 and -0.1. So, by those WAR metrics, Sandoval's 2014 significantly betters McGehee's, yet FG's fWAR isn't bearing that out. Why?

Also, everything that I have read about advanced defensive metrics indicates that they can be extremely fluky in any given year and that you need a fairly large sample size to glean anything good from them. With that in mind, it might be worth noting that Sandoval's career dWAR is 0.9 compared to McGehee's -2.1.

As overrated as Sandoval may or may not be, I wouldn't go betting on the idea of a poor defender with average at best offensive skills who as recently as 2013 was relegated to the Chiba Lotte Ham Fighters doing much to fill Panda's shoes.

With Panda, it comes down to whether he keeps his weight under control. he looks alot better at 3B when he is not swollen up like a balloon.