• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our D has no Pass Rush?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So im going over the depth chart and with the injuries we have I feel we dont have much of a pass rush going into the opener.

Chris Clemons- "Chris had a terrific workout for 40 straight minutes [Sunday]," coach Pete Carroll said Monday, per ESPN. "He’s making great progress. He feels really good and he’s not favoring the knee, but I don’t know how many games or how many weeks away he is."

Cliff Avril- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Monday defensive end Cliff Avril, who aggravated a hamstring last week, will not play in Thursday's preseason finale against the Raiders and might not be ready for the season opener (Sept. 8) at Carolina.

Bruce Irvin- Is suspended

Jesse Williams- Is done for the season

so all we have to work with going into carolina is Red Bryant and Michael Bennett is anybody else worried about our pass rush?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short term yes, long term no.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You secondary is stellar. If your pass rush just slightly disrupt the opposing QB, the Seahawks will be fine.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would probably be wise to have our DEs play more of a QB-contain style instead of rushing and allowing Newton to beat us with his legs anyways, but yeah our lack of depth right now is rough to say the least. Hopefully we get Avril and Clemons healthy for week 2

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rough is right, at least for a short time. Wished we played the 49ers a bit later.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would probably be wise to have our DEs play more of a QB-contain style instead of rushing and allowing Newton to beat us with his legs anyways, but yeah our lack of depth right now is rough to say the least. Hopefully we get Avril and Clemons healthy for week 2

I agree with this.

Forcing our guys to not chase around Newton and play a contain game might be a blessing in disguise. Bennett, Wagner, Thomas and Chancellor can put enough pressure on Newton to keep him honest (I hope). I'm more worried about Newton's legs than his arm so as long they keep more or less contained our DBs and Safeties should be able to do the rest.

Still, every road game makes me nervous and Newton is such a wild card, plus the fact that the first game of the season is nearly impossible to predict, will all guarantee I will chew off all my fingernails before half time....again.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So im going over the depth chart and with the injuries we have I feel we dont have much of a pass rush going into the opener.

Chris Clemons- "Chris had a terrific workout for 40 straight minutes [Sunday]," coach Pete Carroll said Monday, per ESPN. "He’s making great progress. He feels really good and he’s not favoring the knee, but I don’t know how many games or how many weeks away he is."

Cliff Avril- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Monday defensive end Cliff Avril, who aggravated a hamstring last week, will not play in Thursday's preseason finale against the Raiders and might not be ready for the season opener (Sept. 8) at Carolina.

Bruce Irvin- Is suspended

Jesse Williams- Is done for the season

so all we have to work with going into carolina is Red Bryant and Michael Bennett is anybody else worried about our pass rush?

Jesse nor Red were pass rush guys. This may mean that Mayowa makes the 53 for the short term and O'brien Schofield will be rush guys.

I hope Schofield is our starting SAM. i like his energy and passion. I love this squad but hope we don't keep MSmith. Good kid, plays hard, st contributor, but is underwhelming as a starting SAM. With a tight roster and difficult decisions for PC/JS, Malcolm is undersized, can't rush the passer and gets blown up in the run game.

I'm not sure what his niche is and am hoping PC sees the light and starts Schofield at SAM until Irvin returns.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, every road game makes me nervous and Newton is such a wild card, plus the fact that the first game of the season is nearly impossible to predict, will all guarantee I will chew off all my fingernails before half time....again.

Be prepared to be yelling or cussing at Bevell during the 1st half and then chewing your nails off in the 2nd half.

I'm not worried about the Defense even with the injuries up front.

I'm more concerned with the Offense and poor play calling for the strength of the Panthers defense. Not to seem like an Off-Co, go shotgun early and often. Quick hitters to Willson and Baldwin. Then you run draws and traps between Okung n PMcq or BG n Sweezy. You let Johnson and Hardy come up the field, seal them to the edge and our guards seal to the inside. Just give Beast a crease to cut into the hole.

My fear is RWill comes out under center, hands off to Lynch, hands off to Lynch, then we're forced to pass and they bring heavy pressure. Not to sound negative, just my fear of Bevell.

Come out like the Patriots firing missiles and then pound Lynch. That will keep Panthers off balance.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be prepared to be yelling or cussing at Bevell during the 1st half and then chewing your nails off in the 2nd half.

I'm not worried about the Defense even with the injuries up front.

I'm more concerned with the Offense and poor play calling for the strength of the Panthers defense. Not to seem like an Off-Co, go shotgun early and often. Quick hitters to Willson and Baldwin. Then you run draws and traps between Okung n PMcq or BG n Sweezy. You let Johnson and Hardy come up the field, seal them to the edge and our guards seal to the inside. Just give Beast a crease to cut into the hole.

My fear is RWill comes out under center, hands off to Lynch, hands off to Lynch, then we're forced to pass and they bring heavy pressure. Not to sound negative, just my fear of Bevell.

Come out like the Patriots firing missiles and then pound Lynch. That will keep Panthers off balance.

The Seahawks are going to play to their strength, which is running the ball, but just in case Carolina decides to put all their defensive effort into trying to stop the run, I don't think the Seahawks will have any qualms about slinging the ball around through the air. They could start out by throwing the ball around coming out of the gate just to loosen up Carolina's D, but I don't think they'll stray too far from their strength. I don't think it'll be as predictable as it was to start the season last year though and Wilson should have more freedom to change the play at the line if he sees something he can exploit with the defense.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think our pass rush is going to be dictated more by scheme and play calling than it will with who is rushing. Bradley just never had the balls to blitz in most situations and when they did it almost never got home. Quinn is hopefully a lot better at it.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have to be a little crazy not to be a little concerned about our D-Line situation. The good news is outside of Williams and Clemons who is recovering, it doesnt seem like any of these injuries are serious yet.

Even with the injuries I still feel like our rush is improved because of guys like O'Brien Schofield and Mayowa. We might keep an extra D-line or two if they feel on saturday these guys will miss game time.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has mentioned Tony McDaniel. He's a veteran that in his first preseason game last week was very disruptive. If he is able to assist Mebane/Red in clogging both passing and running lanes up the middle it will open up the rush on the outside. My biggest concern would be his health, but if healthy can contribute up front.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks are going to play to their strength, which is running the ball, but just in case Carolina decides to put all their defensive effort into trying to stop the run, I don't think the Seahawks will have any qualms about slinging the ball around through the air. They could start out by throwing the ball around coming out of the gate just to loosen up Carolina's D, but I don't think they'll stray too far from their strength. I don't think it'll be as predictable as it was to start the season last year though and Wilson should have more freedom to change the play at the line if he sees something he can exploit with the defense.

Agreed. We're a power running team. I love PC, love Cable, love Quinn, love KNjr. Pass the love around. However, Bevell isn't on the Hawk love list.

I don't care what pro sport you watch, you can't always just pound your strength against an immovable object. You "should" attempt to exploit their weakness and then impose your will.

Pitchers in baseball don't throw the same pitches to every hitter. They know the cold/hot zones.
Basketball teams don't play the same style or utilize the same personnel against a 3 guard rotation as a team with a twin tower front court.

I hope Bevell understands that there are teams that we should come out and play a different style of ball. Then you mix in the power running game. Start out putting RWill in the shotgun with Lynch to his left with Zach and a 3 wr set of Rice, Tate and Baldwin.

It's a multi-dimensional set with 3 WR routes, Zach blocking and then slipping into the flat or running a delayed style draw to Lynch or having beast slide for a screen which is really a glorified handoff. Lynch had an outstanding ypc last year. It also looks to have the potential to be read option. I love that look.

I want to start fast. None of this dink around in the first half, especially the tough road games we have this season and then having RWill to be called on for late game heroics.

SF, Rams, Texans, Carolina are the 4 teams with their front 7's that we need to start out with a different script than with the other 10 games. Those 4 have similar strengths and weaknesses.

For example, when you know that the 9ers are starting a rookie Free Safety in Cover 1 with Dante Whitner playing around the l.o.s., you run the fake to Lynch, a pump and go on the outside to Rice and test Reid if his over aggressive style leaves Rice with no safety help. Or RWill uses his eyes looking at Rice, the rook floats that direction and RWill comes back to the other side to Tate on a 9 or Baldwin on a cross.

No, I'm not an Off-Co and am not trying to be one, but when you watch enough ball, understand the strengths and weaknesses of NFL D's, this isn't rocket science against those teams. The other 10 games, I don't care what we do on Offense to start the game or adjustments because it won't matter.

Being at the Hawks/Skins playoff game and forecasting plays with a buddy, Bevell flat out stunk coming out of the gate. If Zach doesn't catch that ball off his shoe tops on our 3rd possession, I'm not sure we recover. Skins were so aggressive and I was screaming for Zach because it was open.

Instead, it's run Lynch into the teeth of the Lion and then get RWill sacked on 3rd down as the Skins brought the heat. It was disgusting. Those 1st half decisions against Atlanta stunk, too, and part of my beef is still those 2 plays at the 10 yd line and running MRob up the gut on 4th down. :wtf2:

I'm a bit critical of Bevell, no doubt, and it's always easy to play arm chair QB and 2nd guess, but if you can forecast up front, you end up paying close attention to the play calling.

Few liked when Bradley went to zone last year, played vanilla and rarely blitzed, well this is how I feel about Bevell. Don't f around in the 1st half or it's going to cost us game(s) that we'll need at season's end. Ok, therapy is over. :yahoo:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. We're a power running team. I love PC, love Cable, love Quinn, love KNjr. Pass the love around. However, Bevell isn't on the Hawk love list.

I don't care what pro sport you watch, you can't always just pound your strength against an immovable object. You "should" attempt to exploit their weakness and then impose your will.

Pitchers in baseball don't throw the same pitches to every hitter. They know the cold/hot zones.
Basketball teams don't play the same style or utilize the same personnel against a 3 guard rotation as a team with a twin tower front court.

I hope Bevell understands that there are teams that we should come out and play a different style of ball. Then you mix in the power running game. Start out putting RWill in the shotgun with Lynch to his left with Zach and a 3 wr set of Rice, Tate and Baldwin.

It's a multi-dimensional set with 3 WR routes, Zach blocking and then slipping into the flat or running a delayed style draw to Lynch or having beast slide for a screen which is really a glorified handoff. Lynch had an outstanding ypc last year. It also looks to have the potential to be read option. I love that look.

I want to start fast. None of this dink around in the first half, especially the tough road games we have this season and then having RWill to be called on for late game heroics.

SF, Rams, Texans, Carolina are the 4 teams with their front 7's that we need to start out with a different script than with the other 10 games. Those 4 have similar strengths and weaknesses.

For example, when you know that the 9ers are starting a rookie Free Safety in Cover 1 with Dante Whitner playing around the l.o.s., you run the fake to Lynch, a pump and go on the outside to Rice and test Reid if his over aggressive style leaves Rice with no safety help. Or RWill uses his eyes looking at Rice, the rook floats that direction and RWill comes back to the other side to Tate on a 9 or Baldwin on a cross.

No, I'm not an Off-Co and am not trying to be one, but when you watch enough ball, understand the strengths and weaknesses of NFL D's, this isn't rocket science against those teams. The other 10 games, I don't care what we do on Offense to start the game or adjustments because it won't matter.

Being at the Hawks/Skins playoff game and forecasting plays with a buddy, Bevell flat out stunk coming out of the gate. If Zach doesn't catch that ball off his shoe tops on our 3rd possession, I'm not sure we recover. Skins were so aggressive and I was screaming for Zach because it was open.

Instead, it's run Lynch into the teeth of the Lion and then get RWill sacked on 3rd down as the Skins brought the heat. It was disgusting. Those 1st half decisions against Atlanta stunk, too, and part of my beef is still those 2 plays at the 10 yd line and running MRob up the gut on 4th down. :wtf2:

I'm a bit critical of Bevell, no doubt, and it's always easy to play arm chair QB and 2nd guess, but if you can forecast up front, you end up paying close attention to the play calling.

Few liked when Bradley went to zone last year, played vanilla and rarely blitzed, well this is how I feel about Bevell. Don't f around in the 1st half or it's going to cost us game(s) that we'll need at season's end. Ok, therapy is over. :yahoo:

I'd like to see a better game plan myself. The one thing I'll say about the game plan is that this run, run pass may be coming from PC and I hate to say that because I think PC is a hell of a coach, but all off season I've listened to him say that nothing has changed, Seahawks are going to run the ball.
I hope they wake up and open up the offense on the first two downs so that the offense can be affective from the get go.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd like to see a better game plan myself. The one thing I'll say about the game plan is that this run, run pass may be coming from PC and I hate to say that because I think PC is a hell of a coach, but all off season I've listened to him say that nothing has changed, Seahawks are going to run the ball.
I hope they wake up and open up the offense on the first two downs so that the offense can be affective from the get go.

It's typical for a defensive HC to want a ball control, run the ball, and pass only when needed offense.

PC is great when it comes to defense but he's always been suspect when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Williams, seems like a ton of coach talk to me.

I'm not panicking. These all seem like minor bumps and scrapes, which I have no problem with taking the preseason to sort that out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Williams, seems like a ton of coach talk to me.

I'm not panicking. These all seem like minor bumps and scrapes, which I have no problem with taking the preseason to sort that out.

Here's to hoping your right.:suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well, the bottom line on the NFL Network says that Pete Carroll expects Michael Bennett to play week one, so that's good.