• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: World Cup Begins

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
what's your point?

Canada is not a soccer nation. Venezuela, Jamaica, Honduras, and Guatemala are.

Canada could pour money into Aussie Rules Football for a decade and handpick some athletes from other sports to play that game. Doesn't mean we'd beat any Aussie side after 10 years.

And don't make it sound like every German on their WC squad plays in Germany. Ditto Italy. Everyone from Brazil and Argentina head to Europe to play and rake in the big bucks. Doesn't seem to affect them. Why is that? Could be that soccer is their #1, #2, and #3 sport. Compared to, what, #23 in Canada?

You make it sound like if Brazil and Argentina poured money into hockey that they'd be invited to Canada Cups after a while, because they got to be so damned good. It doesn't work like that. You need elite athletes to actually WANT to play the game over any other, first.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's your point?

Canada is not a soccer nation. Venezuela, Jamaica, Honduras, and Guatemala are.

Canada could pour money into Aussie Rules Football for a decade and handpick some athletes from other sports to play that game. Doesn't mean we'd beat any Aussie side after 10 years.

And don't make it sound like every German on their WC squad plays in Germany. Ditto Italy. Everyone from Brazil and Argentina head to Europe to play and rake in the big bucks. Doesn't seem to affect them. Why is that? Could be that soccer is their #1, #2, and #3 sport. Compared to, what, #23 in Canada?

You make it sound like if Brazil and Argentina poured money into hockey that they'd be invited to Canada Cups after a while, because they got to be so damned good. It doesn't work like that. You need elite athletes to actually WANT to play the game over any other, first.

Im saying they can compete in concacaf and make it to world cups if the
government make changes at the CSA and either funds the national team or subsidizes a national league even at a lesser level. Canadian players are choosing to play for other countries because of the csa. Danny Fernandes can play at the youth soccer association i played at in vancouver and go on to be the 3rd string national goalie for portugal at this world cup. Dont give me this bullshit about "our best athletes dont play soccer" or "we are not a soccer nation"

CSA coaches told Danny Fernandes he didnt catch the ball right ... what the fuck is that?

did i mention in this thread a scenario where i thought a fully funded canadian soccer team would be to soccer what the Aussies are to aussie rules football ... you are the one making that insanely stupid reach

who said anything about being able to beat the Germanys or the italys or brazils ... all they have to do is beat USA and Mexico which is very doable if all the canadian born players actually end up playing for our squad. Its something you seem to think is not possible

In one breath you think we should be able to beat Honduras, Guatemala Jamaica and in the next you backtrack and are resigned to say well these are soccer nations that cant be beat ... ridiculous

btw ... maybe you should look up Italys squad and see where they all play their club soccer

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does Australia need to happen, besides a win, to qualify for the knockout round?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does Australia need to happen, besides a win, to qualify for the knockout round?

AUSTRALIA

Win and they go through if Germany lose.

Win and Germany and Ghana draw will see them through if they defeat Serbia by 7 goals.

Win and Germany win means they are out if they finish with a worse goal differential than Ghana.

Draw or loss means they are out

lol at the bold

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In order for Australia to gain improbably advancement, they will need a win and some help. If the Socceroos can win and Ghana finds a way to defeat Germany, Australia will advance. All other legitimately possible scenarios will send the Australians packing. There are a few scenarios that could lead to a tie between Australia and Ghana or Germany, but Australia's goal differential would doom them, unless they are able to score five or more goals against Serbia, an outcome that is especially unlikely given that the Socceroos have managed just one goal in two games, and Serbia has allowed just one goal in two games.

2010 World Cup Group D- What Australia Needs to... | Gather

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only times I have had a chance to watch soccer has been at the dentist. I didn't know what was more excruciating at the time.

Getting a cavity fixed while hearing those vuvuzelas non-stop is not a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 - 0 germany on a left footed rocket by ozil

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US and A! US and A! Happy the boys are moving on to the knockout round and rooting for Australiar to win here.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Singer_freaks_face.gif