• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: World Cup Begins

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not saying it wont have an impact in the United States ... Im just looking at it from canadas perspective saying that more people will start to ask more questions about why Canada cant qualify for the world cup (more pointedly ... "why do we suck") and finally changes will be made with the canadian soccer association. In the 70's up to 1986 Canada consistently had better results in world soccer than the USA until things started going sideways

The public started asking these type of questions about amateur winter sports in canada in the years leading up to the 2010 olympic winter games and the government listened and decided they would increase funding for winter sports programs by bringing forth programs like Own the Podium and canada ended up winning the most golds

Gotcha, I see what you mean. Makes sense.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me zip back on the PVR...... The british dude on CBC with Leonarduzzi.
Nigel Reed? Nigel Reeves?
It was actually Leonarduzzi who originally mentioned Rooney was off his game "biggest problem with England's team - what is going on with Wayne Rooney? a shadow of his former self (of 3-4 months ago)"
correction on british dude's comment - it started out as "looks like he's got something else on his mind', and then he mentioned the fitness later.
but in the meantime, the highlight pack was filled with the good things rooney did.

Im not Nigel Reed but I thought Rooney played well, he worked hard almost created a goal for Gerrard in the first but im telling you the altitude is killing the euro teams ... He definitely ran out of gas

2 weeks of training at altitude doesnt compare to the South american players who have grown up all their lives playing at these altitudes and played qualifying games at these altitudes

Last edited by a moderator:

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Doesn't help that Canada never seems to get up for games against Jamaica, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, etc etc etc.
Yes, there was a time when Canada was a much better side than the USA, but that's over now.
Still, there's room for Canada to qualify. 3.5 spots. Slot in Mexico and the USA for 1 and 2, and that still leaves a spot to qualify outright, and yet another slot to play against a second-tier team from another continent. It's doable. Just have to beat Jamaica or Honduras or Guatemala once in while.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't help that Canada never seems to get up for games against Jamaica, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, etc etc etc.
Yes, there was a time when Canada was a much better side than the USA, but that's over now.
Still, there's room for Canada to qualify. 3.5 spots. Slot in Mexico and the USA for 1 and 2, and that still leaves a spot to qualify outright, and yet another slot to play against a second-tier team from another continent. It's doable. Just have to beat Jamaica or Honduras or Guatemala once in while.

youre really selling the quality of soccer player produced in canada short

Hargreaves
Fernandes
Bunbury
De Guzman
Begovic
Hoilett

all players who have chosen to play (or are in the process of choosing to play) for their parents country of birth because the euro agents tell or have told them there is no future attaching yourself to the idiots who run and manage the csa

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Doesn't change the fact we can't beat Honduras to save our lives since 1985/86.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't change the fact we can't beat Honduras to save our lives since 1985/86.

you stated that there was a time that canada was a much better side than the USA, "but thats over now"

if things were different at the CSA, that statement would be very wrong

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping that with Montreal and Vancouver joining Toronto in MLS that soccer will get a much needed kick in the pants in this country. Of course, a thorough house cleaning of CSA is still needed.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so fucking ecstatic. The US deserved to advance out of that group. It's just icing on the cake that they happened to win it. Hopefully Germany takes care of business and the US can play Ghana or Serbia. Let England have Germany. :)

Sounds good to me. :)WWII rematch

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you stated that there was a time that canada was a much better side than the USA, "but thats over now"

if things were different at the CSA, that statement would be very wrong

And if I was six inches taller you'd be talking about me alongside Crosby and Ovechkin. Doesn't change what has actually happened on the pitch for Canadian soccer the past two decades. I VERY highly doubt Jamaica and Honduras and Guatemala spend more money on their national team than Canada.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if I was six inches taller you'd be talking about me alongside Crosby and Ovechkin. Doesn't change what has actually happened on the pitch for Canadian soccer the past two decades. I VERY highly doubt Jamaica and Honduras and Guatemala spend more money on their national team than Canada.

being a midget isnt something you can control ... hiring the right people at CSA is doable

I highly doubt the canadian government subsidizes its domestic pro soccer league like those countries do

whats that you say ... there is no domestic pro soccer league in canada?

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, no Jamaican, Honduran, or Guatemalan plays footie outside their native country.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, no Jamaican, Honduran, or Guatemalan plays footie outside their native country.

because of government funding they have the option to play in their own country and earn a living playing soccer while honing their skills ... they dont have to go elsewhere and battle for spots in foreign leagues that have foreign ratios

meanwhile (2 years ago) Vancouver Whitecap Steve Kindel sells me my auto insurance on his off days

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see CBC putting the Germans on the main network. I'm not BOLD enough to watch the Socceroos...

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
because of government funding they have the option to play in their own country and earn a living playing soccer while honing their skills ... they dont have to go elsewhere and battle for spots in foreign leagues that have foreign ratios

meanwhile (2 years ago) Vancouver Whitecap Steve Kindel sells me my auto insurance on his off days

If Steve Kindel was good enough to play in a legit league, I'm sure he would.

Let's just face the facts. Any six-footer with decent speed and balance will be playing hockey in Canada. Might play soccer in the summer, unless he's serious about hockey, then it's dryland training specifically for hockey.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good to me. :)WWII rematch

I could watch the woman on the right all day. She played Traudl Junge. My wife was watching the movie the clip came from, Downfall, and I can in halfway after having a few drink. All I could do was watch her and think of how cute she was, all the while serious things were going on. The actress is Alexandra Maria Lara, I think she is lovely.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Steve Kindel was good enough to play in a legit league, I'm sure he would.

He had a trial spell in Europe but couldnt stick because of ratio rules. At some point i think it can be tough to keep banging on doors in foreign leagues asking if they have reached their quota yet

Would have been nice if he could have come back to play at home, get a living wage in a domestic league funded in some part by the cdn government so he wouldnt have to work full time hours and could dedicate himself to train fulltime to get better

just like they do in Honduras, Jamaica and Guatemala

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Honduras World Cup Squad:

English league: 3
Belgium league: 1
Chinese league: 2
Italian league: 2
US league: 1

It can be done. As long as you're good enough. Again, the best athletes in Honduras play soccer. Canada... not so much.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
jesus - Germany has a breakaway from 40 yards out...... nothin'

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honduras World Cup Squad:

English league: 3
Belgium league: 1
Chinese league: 2
Italian league: 2
US league: 1

It can be done. As long as you're good enough. Again, the best athletes in Honduras play soccer. Canada... not so much.

whats your point?

the other half of the Honduran squad plays domestically and have the familiarity with each other that a domestic league brings to the table.

The last friendly that canada played against Venezuela ... how many cdns are on that roster from a domestic league?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you catch that Loew arm motion on the sidelines ... looked very Nazi like (lol)