• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: World Cup Begins

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow.. i really wish i could've watched that game, rather than the gamecast on espn.. absolutely incredible.. 91st minute!!

bit of a note on the game overall tho.. 35+ shots, thats insane for soccer

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the commentator:
"Terrible game..... the slightly less worst team won. And Rooney is horribly out of shape."

which guy said that?

and id like to see that fat fuck commentator play at altitude ... thats whats killing the euro teams and why the south american teams are kicking ass and taking names

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Meh. Many a euro team held lengthy training camps at altitude. There are some hills and mountains in europe. :P

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Many a euro team held lengthy training camps at altitude. There are some hills and mountains in europe. :P

yah 2 weeks in Sestriere is magical

???

dateline May 26th, 2010:
Italy is four days into its World Cup training camp and players are already reporting a series of physical ailments: headaches, dehydration, nausea and problems sleeping—with shortness of breath the least of the worries.

That’s all to be expected when the squad’s “base camp” is at an elevation of 6,677 feet.

“At 1,800 meters (5,900 feet) and up, altitude sickness is normal,” team physician Enrico Castellacci said. “At that elevation you tire quicker if the body is not accustomed to it. Oxygen pressure is lower and heart rates and breathing levels increase.”

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...my day is exceedingly better now. i mean, we we're getting screwed over again and again. it took greater than 90 minutes but we FINALLY got a break. Proud to be an American today!!!

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Certainly will keep your country semi-interested, for at least another few days, anyway.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive said it before and Ill say it again ... USA going deep will have more of an impact on soccer in canada than it will in the USA

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly will keep your country semi-interested, for at least another few days, anyway.

i must admit, we're not huge soccer people. hahahaha, but this is fun and exciting. i love seeing people getting into it. it's the talk of the 'town'. i'm not a huge soccer person, but i LOVE the world cup.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
' ' ' ' ' ' '
' ' ' ' ' '
' ' ' ' ' ' '
Parade

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive said it before and Ill say it again ... USA going deep will have more of an impact on soccer in canada than it will in the USA

Why? Not busting your chops (phrase from 1975!) just curious to your reason.

I am not a big soccer guy, and do not have more than a passing interest in the World Cup. There are a huge number of soccer fans in the US, its just not a super large percentage.

For me as a slightly less than casual world cup viewer, having witnessed 3 goals called bad in the last two tournaments which afterwords commentators seemed to agree were bad decisions - doesn't exactly sell the sport.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
which guy said that?

and id like to see that fat fuck commentator play at altitude ... thats whats killing the euro teams and why the south american teams are kicking ass and taking names

Let me zip back on the PVR...... The british dude on CBC with Leonarduzzi.
Nigel Reed? Nigel Reeves?
It was actually Leonarduzzi who originally mentioned Rooney was off his game "biggest problem with England's team - what is going on with Wayne Rooney? a shadow of his former self (of 3-4 months ago)"
correction on british dude's comment - it started out as "looks like he's got something else on his mind', and then he mentioned the fitness later.
but in the meantime, the highlight pack was filled with the good things rooney did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so fucking ecstatic. The US deserved to advance out of that group. It's just icing on the cake that they happened to win it. Hopefully Germany takes care of business and the US can play Ghana or Serbia. Let England have Germany. :)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not a big soccer guy, and do not have more than a passing interest in the World Cup. There are a huge number of soccer fans in the US, its just not a super large percentage.

For me as a slightly less than casual world cup viewer, having witnessed 3 goals called bad in the last two tournaments which afterwords commentators seemed to agree were bad decisions - doesn't exactly sell the sport.[/QUOTE]

soccer officials are far and away the worst there are.. i've thought it since i was about 8 (played from when i was 5ish to 18).. i gotta say when the world cup rolls around i miss it

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me as a slightly less than casual world cup viewer, having witnessed 3 goals called bad in the last two tournaments which afterwords commentators seemed to agree were bad decisions - doesn't exactly sell the sport.

im not saying it wont have an impact in the United States ... Im just looking at it from canadas perspective saying that more people will start to ask more questions about why Canada cant qualify for the world cup (more pointedly ... "why do we suck") and finally changes will be made with the canadian soccer association. In the 70's up to 1986 Canada consistently had better results in world soccer than the USA until things started going sideways

The public started asking these type of questions about amateur winter sports in canada in the years leading up to the 2010 olympic winter games and the government listened and decided they would increase funding for winter sports programs by bringing forth programs like Own the Podium and canada ended up winning the most golds