• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: was christianity the invention of a Troll?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if God was one of us? Just a slob like one of us. Just a stranger on the bus -trying to make his way home....

In my best Reverend Lovejoy voice:

"Wait a minute, that sounds like rock and/or roll music"

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the impression that being God would make graduate school a lot easier than it has been for me, so I'm going to go ahead and scientifically conclude that I am, in fact, not God. :nerd:

Son, in my 35 years of religious study, I have only come up with two hard incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and I'm not Him.

-----------------------------------------------

REP to whoever knows this one. Probably Mattola because we seem to have similar tastes in whiskey.....er, I mean movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if God was one of us? Just a slob like one of us. Just a stranger on the bus -trying to make his way home....

He's NOT on the corner of 1st and Amistad?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Son, in my 35 years of religious study, I have only come up with two hard incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and I'm not Him.

Notre Dame football could use some divine intervention...

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what makes everyone so sure that the bible god is the ONLY god? He claims he's the only god, but so what? I'll even grant you for argument sake that god wrote the bible, again, so what? Who's to say he didn't just put the line about being the only god in there because he wanted to? It's not like he had to worry about a fact checker.

This god could be the creation of another god.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many people who aren't down and out or have had some horrible experiences happen to them; who haven't had the bible engrained in them from generation to generation; who haven't got some "messenger for god" in their face telling them it's the truth; who are educated for the most part -- just pick up the bible, read it, and think to themselves, "yup, that's the truth".

Curious.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many people who aren't down and out or have had some horrible experiences happen to them; who haven't had the bible engrained in them from generation to generation; who haven't got some "messenger for god" in their face telling them it's the truth; who are educated for the most part -- just pick up the bible, read it, and think to themselves, "yup, that's the truth".

Curious.

It has a pretty boring cover so probably not many.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, all of those gods, and all of the ancient polytheist gods, represent the same entity. It's just a matter of how you perceive it or what you call it.

The Catholic God is familiar to me (and by the way, how uncreative were we to call our god "God?"), so that's how I practice. But as far as I'm concerned, no one, including atheists and agnostics, is wrong. They just perceive the same entity and the same phenomena differently than I do.

Agreed, because it's not a factual thing. I'm an atheist myself. I think the place you go when you die is exactly like it was before you were born. I fervently believe there is no higher being, that gods or God are inventions of society to connect us to a higher purpose and to explain away things we do not understand/are afraid of, and that the afterlife does not exist (though I wonder sometimes about reincarnation b/c it connects to conservation of mass in a weird way). But that said, I have a lot of respect for people of faith b/c faith of any kind is a difficult thing. And frankly, if believing in something makes you a better person and/or gives you something to connect to, that's a positive thing whether it exists or it doesn't.

In sum...get off the fence, agnostic pussies! ;)

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're at it, which Jesus do you guys prefer? White Jesus or Black Jesus? White Jesus sounds great in theory, but I hate the idea of White Heaven where the most exciting thing to do on a Friday night is sing karaoke with Ronald Reagen.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a dream where Jesus was a dirty old bum, and I was about to sock him in the face because, well he's a dirty old bum, but then I thought, there's something special about him...

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, because it's not a factual thing. I'm an atheist myself. I think the place you go when you die is exactly like it was before you were born. I fervently believe there is no higher being, that gods or God are inventions of society to connect us to a higher purpose and to explain away things we do not understand/are afraid of, and that the afterlife does not exist (though I wonder sometimes about reincarnation b/c it connects to conservation of mass in a weird way). But that said, I have a lot of respect for people of faith b/c faith of any kind is a difficult thing. And frankly, if believing in something makes you a better person and/or gives you something to connect to, that's a positive thing whether it exists or it doesn't.

In sum...get off the fence, agnostic pussies! ;)

Holy shit, you really are in Canada.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i-dd55f012113fb7c28a2312d25d277a8d-chick2.jpg

If you have the courage to see the rest of the story...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1041/1041_01.asp?wpc=1041_01.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with pix, by the way. I should get my pastor post on this. He knows a heck of a lot more than I do.