• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Video Game Geek Out

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of picking it up for PS4. How does it look?

All I have done so far was the prologue and I walked around in the quarantine zone. It looks pretty amazing, but the PS3 version was pretty too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone about ready to get a PS4, have you guys played anything good lately? I'm not into linear adventure games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, etc) but I like pretty much everything else. So far I'm looking at the Diablo: Ultimate Evil Edition, Destiny and Final Fantasy 14: ARR.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is my favorite game ever. Which is saying a lot, because I also played Super Mario Bros.

I actually enjoyed the collecting aspect. My kids referred to it as "stuff and things." (if you watch The Walking Dead this reference may make sense)

The game was pretty grim throughout, but I loved how isolated I felt and the fact that weapons and ammo were so precious. You just couldn't fire your way through.

I had no problem with the impregnation mission, but I've got game, if you know what I mean.

I thought it ended as it should have. But man was I scratching my head at first.

Agree with you on that. I especially loved once the game moved out West and some of the small towns out there. Especially since where and how to defend yourself changed.

I also give the game credit for having lots of space in it. It's not like every house or area you crossed was filled to the gills with bad guys to blast through. It kept the tension really well and you never knew if the building you were going in was filled with clickers or totally empty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone about ready to get a PS4, have you guys played anything good lately? I'm not into linear adventure games (Uncharted, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, etc) but I like pretty much everything else. So far I'm looking at the Diablo: Ultimate Evil Edition, Destiny and Final Fantasy 14: ARR.

Infamous: Second Son was the only game I played so far that I do not think could have been done on a PS3. I liked it, but it was kind of like the other two - just in Seattle.

I have Watchdogs and plan to start that soon. Its supposed to be very good.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
{spoilers}

{/spoilers}

Per your comments about the ending (won't quote to keep it secret for those that want to skip over)...

{spoilers}
First off, yes, the character development is definitely what sets this game apart. From the first 10 minutes of the game it feels like a movie, not a game. And if anything, it gets even better as the game goes along. The changes in Ellie and Joel (hell, even in a smaller character like Tommy) made it great.

I honestly was surprised that both Joel and Ellie lived to the end. When it was getting late in the game, I was pretty certain that one of them was going to die, but couldn't figure out who.

I agree with you that there was no certainty with the Fireflies, but they're living in a hopeless world it seems. Marlene certainly seemed dedicated to the greater good and seemed like a good person. The lack of consent is appalling, but in a different world, I can understand that decision. It just seemed selfish of Joel to me even though I understood his reasoning. Just on some level he chose himself over humanity. Hard to swallow. Hell of an ending though and I loved the last scenes (especially the way they did it out of chrono order.

{/spoilers}

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finished months ago but thought about the ending a lot.

{spoilers}
Oh it was certainly selfish what Joel did, I wont argue that. The world was a pretty bleak place with a lot of really horrible people and he didn't want to give up a good person, one he loved, to help them. Plus he has a child bride now.

If I knew the cure would have worked, and if the cure would have been distributed freely regardless of allegiance to a group then I might feel differently. Did that world deserve saving?

{/spoilers}

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Infamous: Second Son was the only game I played so far that I do not think could have been done on a PS3. I liked it, but it was kind of like the other two - just in Seattle.
I've heard its good but Ive also heard its a bit short. Its on my 'once it gets cheap' radar

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per your comments about the ending (won't quote to keep it secret for those that want to skip over)...

{spoilers}
First off, yes, the character development is definitely what sets this game apart. From the first 10 minutes of the game it feels like a movie, not a game. And if anything, it gets even better as the game goes along. The changes in Ellie and Joel (hell, even in a smaller character like Tommy) made it great.

I honestly was surprised that both Joel and Ellie lived to the end. When it was getting late in the game, I was pretty certain that one of them was going to die, but couldn't figure out who.

I agree with you that there was no certainty with the Fireflies, but they're living in a hopeless world it seems. Marlene certainly seemed dedicated to the greater good and seemed like a good person. The lack of consent is appalling, but in a different world, I can understand that decision. It just seemed selfish of Joel to me even though I understood his reasoning. Just on some level he chose himself over humanity. Hard to swallow. Hell of an ending though and I loved the last scenes (especially the way they did it out of chrono order.
{spoilers}
Joel is a villain. Whats different is that villains are generally proven to be weak in the end while this one is proven to be stronger than the rest. The game also makes that a bit more acceptable because they don't give you a long time to think about the villainy at the end. A Marlene boss fight would have sealed the deal but they cut the ending in the way that makes it a bit easier to take. Ellie is probably okay with being alive for sure but is probably going to be a nut job with her savior as they both know or suspect that they chose not to save the world. Its kinda like Breaking Bad except without the last season to reaffirm the real lack of morality{/spoilers}

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone looking forward to Dragon Age Inquisition? I loved Origins, thought the sequel was underwhelming but made some improvements. I'm hoping the newest combines the best of both, and it looks like a massive game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone looking forward to Dragon Age Inquisition? I loved Origins, thought the sequel was underwhelming but made some improvements. I'm hoping the newest combines the best of both, and it looks like a massive game.
Totally forgot about that. Its going to the top of the list...it looks like its going to be very well done.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Persona 5 in 2015. Just have to buy a PS3/PS4...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Destiny... anyone bought it? Thinking about it. It looks pretty epic.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have it. Not much of a story but pretty fun. The missions are short (30-45 minutes) which make it good to pick up and put down when you have time. Plenty of multiplayer things to do both story wise or battlefield too. Its fun, just not as good as I thought it would be.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have it. Not much of a story but pretty fun. The missions are short (30-45 minutes) which make it good to pick up and put down when you have time. Plenty of multiplayer things to do both story wise or battlefield too. Its fun, just not as good as I thought it would be.

Halo type play?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I picked up a bootleg copy, I popped it in and the first scene had me at a 50's style coffee shop trying to get a date.

giphy.gif

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that movie, although I've seen it way too many times.

As far as Destiny goes, I have it for PS3. It's fun when you're playing with some buddies. I find it very boring when you just get paired with strangers because it's such a repetitious game. I got my character up to Level 28 and pretty much plateaued. It's a bitch to get to 30, but I guess some DLC is coming out in November.

The combat is the best from any FPS I've ever played. But like Comeds stated, the story, or lack thereof, is pretty shitty. I haven't done any player vs player multiplayer really, so I guess I'll start that up to kind of revamp my interest in the game.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halo type play?

Thats what I hear, but I never played Halo so I am not sure.

I love that movie, although I've seen it way too many times.

As far as Destiny goes, I have it for PS3. It's fun when you're playing with some buddies. I find it very boring when you just get paired with strangers because it's such a repetitious game. I got my character up to Level 28 and pretty much plateaued. It's a bitch to get to 30, but I guess some DLC is coming out in November.

The combat is the best from any FPS I've ever played. But like Comeds stated, the story, or lack thereof, is pretty shitty. I haven't done any player vs player multiplayer really, so I guess I'll start that up to kind of revamp my interest in the game.

Its pretty cool, basic but quick and easy to get into a game. It can either be 3 on 3, 6 on 6, or free for all. And they have the basic modes - death matches, flag capture, etc. If you are level 28 you should be in good shape, they dont match you with similar players so when I was a level 1 playing against level 20+ I was killed a lot. There are a lot of multiplayer bounties which can help people power up.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what I hear, but I never played Halo so I am not sure.

Its pretty cool, basic but quick and easy to get into a game. It can either be 3 on 3, 6 on 6, or free for all. And they have the basic modes - death matches, flag capture, etc. If you are level 28 you should be in good shape, they dont match you with similar players so when I was a level 1 playing against level 20+ I was killed a lot. There are a lot of multiplayer bounties which can help people power up.

I read that your level doesn't matter in the crucible. However your gear does.