• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ScanBC ‏@ScanBC now

#Vancouver PD are responding to Tisdall Park for reports that a male doing Tai Chi kicked another male in the face for smoking in the park

Tai Chi Vancouver - Improve Balance, Energy and Lower Stress

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spent 45 minutes outside of Metrotown as emergency responders put out a car fire in one of the underground parkades. Arson has not been ruled out.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny and there really isn't a compelling reason to think it's it's racist, either. It's just having a laugh at an old ethnic stereotype. Hell, I'm Scottish and Irish and I love all the old ethnic stereo type jokes (cheap Scotsman, drunken Irishman...etc).

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woah ... i think ill get one of those stickers for my wife

:bolt:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a horrific story from last week but its heartening i guess to see what the community did and how many people came to the rescue ... some communities have been known to just close their doors and call the police

A Strathcona resident walked out of his house Thursday and heard screaming.

A shirtless man emerged from his neighbour’s home, fighting with another man. The shirtless man took off, and the man he had been fighting with yelled that a woman had just been raped.

“I joined (him) in the chase,” said the man. “Took a shortcut across the trees, tackled him. The guy fought, we fought him a second time, held him down and the police came.”

The Good Samaritan’s name cannot be revealed, because a judge has imposed a ban on naming the victim and any witnesses. After the suspect was subdued, the Good Samaritan saw the victim.

“She’s my neighbour,” he said softly. “I know who she is now, I learned late last night. But at the time I could not recognize her, she was so full of blood on her face and her legs. Her head was soaked.”

The victim had been tied up by her wrists, and had her finger cut off after being attacked with a knife.

“It was grisly,” said a second neighbourhood resident who helped chase down the suspect. “(She was) bound at the wrists, in her underwear, and the (suspect) was a big beast guy.”

Both men downplayed their role in the drama.

“The real hero was a guy who was walking down the street and ran into the house to interrupt the assault,” said the Good Samaritan. “(He) is the hero, he’s the guy.”

A dog walker was across the street when the assault occurred, and heard the victim’s screams.

“I stopped and started to tie the dogs to go see what was going on — I could see the door was partially open,” she said.

“At the same time, the guy that went in and helped her was on the sidewalk, closest to her apartment. He was walking by and heard the screams. He looked in and saw what he saw and went in to help her.

“He chased the suspect out, and came out behind him. He (yelled the suspect) was raping the girl and to call the police.”

The victim came out and went to safety next door.

“The girl had banged on her neighbour’s door and went inside, so I knew she was being attended to by somebody else,” said the dog walker.

“So I focused on helping him not let the guy get away. I saw (some neighbours) up the hill and yelled to them to come help, don’t let this guy get away.”

A group of young men were waiting at a nearby bus stop when they heard “r*pe.”

“(They) came running across the street from the bus stop and laid the boots to the guy,” said the Strathcona resident who tackled the suspect. “While I had him in a headlock, they were just f---ing laying the boots to him.”

“They were flailing on him,” said his friend. “I think if they would have seen the woman and how she was bloodied and had her finger cut off, they probably would have killed him.”

The dog walker said the victim emerged from her neighbour’s to see if the suspect had been caught. When she was assured he was, she began to yell for an ambulance.

“She was very strong,” said the dog walker.

“This is not going to be easy, she’s going to scarred for life, for sure. But I believe she’s a strong woman and she’s going to be very strong through this, and deal with this the best way that she can.”

Strathcona is next door to the troubled Downtown Eastside, so residents have developed a thick skin about crime. But the assault shook the tight-knit community.

“It seems like a quiet neighbourhood, but it’s not Kansas,” said the resident who tackled the suspect. “It’s just the level of violence that is the shocker.”

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
boils my blood reading that. glad he got some boots to him. not enough. our laws are not enough

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before April 1st - 15 pak of Sleemans was $23.75
After April 1st - 15 pak of Sleemans was $24.25
Despite the overall cost going down from $22.25 to $19.79 per 15 pack. The taxes went up up and away.

Promise Made Promise Kept eh Christy lol

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before April 1st - 15 pak of Sleemans was $23.75
After April 1st - 15 pak of Sleemans was $24.25
Despite the overall cost going down from $22.25 to $19.79 per 15 pack. The taxes went up up and away.

Promise Made Promise Kept eh Christy lol
But she said she'd lower the tax on wines produced in Saskatchewan so you've got that going for you.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC Ferries prices also going up - dash is getting upset!

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause you know... price of oil has just skyrocketed.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause you know... price of oil has just skyrocketed.

It's a yo-yo, Mooger.

Another day, another big swing in crude oil.

The price of West Texas Intermediate crude oil was down more than 3.5% on Thursday to below $49 a barrel, after a more than 4% rally on Wednesday that followed reports of a platform fire in the Gulf of Mexico from the Mexican state-run oil giant Pemex.

Brent crude oil, the international benchmark, was down more than 5% in afternoon trade on Thursday

Read more: Crude oil price, April 2 - Business Insider

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a yo-yo, Mooger.

Another day, another big swing in crude oil.

The price of West Texas Intermediate crude oil was down more than 3.5% on Thursday to below $49 a barrel, after a more than 4% rally on Wednesday that followed reports of a platform fire in the Gulf of Mexico from the Mexican state-run oil giant Pemex.

Brent crude oil, the international benchmark, was down more than 5% in afternoon trade on Thursday

Read more: Crude oil price, April 2 - Business Insider

Complete and utter nonsense. Even when it was $120 a barrel, seven or eight years ago, the price at the pump was still lower than now (or around the same, at least). Yes, the Canadian dollar influences that a bit............but not THAT much.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Guess what city I am in for dinner?
I think the N sticker really sets it off

11084776_644199442379659_244281739_n.jpg

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pfffft... only a 2014.

2015 is much nicer.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was gonna put it in the rant thread but ... since I have the city of vancouver in my crosshairs :noidea:

so my sons little league is great ... lots of great parent and community volunteers (story: Hastings Little League volunteers step up to the plate

some of the volunteers have been with the association over 40 years ... and things have really picked up for them ... theyve been to the llworldseries 2 of the past 6 years representing canada ... now they are setting up to hold the canadian little league champ's next year ... thanks to a grant from the Toronto Blue Jays (suppress Toronto hatred) they are doing a full field renovation ... which means we are homeless for the 2015 season

no big deal ... they were able to find a somewhat suitable replacement field at a park a couple miles away ... the field needed alot of work as the previous little league association that played out of it disbanded due to low registration about 10 years ago ... opening ceremonies were just this last saturday and the week before (easter weekend) a call was put out for community volunteers to come mow the field because the city of vancouver parks board couldnt get to it in time (they had 10 days notice ?!?!? ) ... but the field never got mowed ?!?!?!?

why? i heard from someone on the association board today that the vancouver parks board and its union members wont allow any work to be done on the field that is not undertaken by its civic union members :L

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why? i heard from someone on the association board today that the vancouver parks board and its union members wont allow any work to be done on the field that is not undertaken by its civic union members :L
Could be more to it than that. We had a similar situation with youth soccer fields in my hometown (there it was primarily money related) and volunteers offered to do it, but the town had to stop them citing liability and insurance issues.

Then again that may just be because of all the lawyers in the US.