• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Tokyo Olympics thread

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its got to be really tough. You can win everything for years but if you do not win the Olympic events that's what people (some) remember. Its a lot of pressure for kids and young adults. Hopefully all is as well with her as it can be and she quickly moves past this.
Maybe this and some of the tennis / golf athletes withdrawing from tournaments and making comments about media pressure might force changes in what we expect from athletes between their competitions. Nah, just kidding! Throw them out there and if they snap on camera think of the fun everyone can have tearing them apart......

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter took up competitive cheer after gymnastics and it's certainly a different dynamic. Cheerleading is also now an official Olympic sport and one that the States should dominate starting in Paris in 2024.
The difference is that cheer is a true team sport while gymnastics , no matter what anyone says and whatever “team competition” medals they give out , is about the individual :noidea:

i dont know how it is/was with your daughter and it might just be that everyone travels longer distance to get to my daughters gym but none of her gymnastics “teammates” are her playdate level friends :noidea: hell she has friends from softball and she quit that 2 years ago :noidea:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know we've seen stumbling on NHL suspensions and moments of criticism of athletes, but we've seen everything from improved concussion protocols, rule changes, cooling breaks, athletes "coming out," and a better focus on mental health.

Some would say this is not honoring the game or "pussification." I think it's progress and gives me hope.

A long time ago we decided our athletes didn't need to die for their sports. I'm glad we're on the road to them not having to suffer greatly either. I'd like to see more Tiki Barbers, and fewer Derek Boogaards.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that cheer is a true team sport while gymnastics , no matter what anyone says and whatever “team competition” medals they give out , is about the individual :noidea:

As in most situations, I found the kids handled it better than the parents (at least in their younger days). What I mean is they were genuinely rooting their teammates to do their best in their routine and at times, I can't say the same for some of the parents. The ones that drove me crazy were the ones scribbling down every score and doing the calculations in the stands to determine placings. Also, you could see smiles and snickering when somebody fell off the balance beam, come on we're talking about kids here.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As in most situations, I found the kids handled it better than the parents (at least in their younger days). What I mean is they were genuinely rooting their teammates to do their best in their routine and at times, I can't say the same for some of the parents. The ones that drove me crazy were the ones scribbling down every score and doing the calculations in the stands to determine placings. Also, you could see smiles and snickering when somebody fell off the balance beam, come on we're talking about kids here.
Idk in my daughters experience, her club grouping seem to be a bunch of twats lol

her last “real” competition was one in tacoma the weekend before covid hit in 2020 and my god the cattiness was palpable and visible … and they were 9 year olds !!!

Last edited:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing really does remind me of a few years ago when they introduced my work team at the company's quarterly meetings. We knew about a month in advance and it was really stressing me out. All we had to do was high five each other as they called our names, thats all we had to do. Then I miss and high fived my boss's breast. Then all I wanted to do was crawl away and hide but they made me answer questions from the corporate media team.

What were you thinking as you felt her had pass by yours and then make contact with one of her personal areas?

Do you think her husband will be mad? He played college football, it looks like you were on the college napping team.

Was that the first breast you ever touched?

What do you say to your coworkers now that high fiving has been disallowed at all future corporate events because of you?

You said earlier that her hand missed yours too, why are you blaming the victim?

It was a tough time.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just said to my wife a few days ago that I'm tired of Facebook posts from parents about what place their kid got in a competition, how many home runs/goals/etc. they got individually, the colleges they are touring, or the grades they got. Post about their kindness, how they had fun, the time you got to spend with them, or that it was exciting to see them do something they loved.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part about my daughter doing gymnastics though was the self-esteem and confidence that she still has today. She continues to enjoy to work out almost every day because she doesn't want to lose the fitness level that gymnastics has provided. She leaves her old man in the dust when we go out for a run lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just said to my wife a few days ago that I'm tired of Facebook posts from parents about what place their kid got in a competition, how many home runs/goals/etc. they got individually, the colleges they are touring, or the grades they got. Post about their kindness, how they had fun, the time you got to spend with them, or that it was exciting to see them do something they loved.
Does that mean i have to stop posting videos of my son slashing the hell out of other players ? lol

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean i have to stop posting videos of my son slashing the hell out of other players ? lol

No, that's funny and has a very strong tradition... ;)

5ab9407a88365daa6a75118ec8493fcd.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's so easy for people to attack women and especially women of color. It's been pretty disgusting to see how people are ripping into Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles with all of their accomplishments as well as their genuine desire to help other people by lending their voices to important causes in addition to financial commitments.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a fantastic race.

Don Wittman (RIP) with an awesome call.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simone Biles showed some strong leadership with the rest of her team too. She discussed the mental toll the Nassau situation has taken. To still be a part of an organization that let you down so horribly…that’s strength man. To deal with a sport that’s literally had to make rules to slow you down because you’re too good, that’s strength too. I think we’ve forgotten the mental toll this past 18 months has taken on athletes too.,,they’ve lived in the same world.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fun everyone can have tearing them apart......
Certain athletes have to deal with that excessively no matter HOW they perform.

Just ask Bukayo Saka or Lewis Hamilton how fun their last 3 weeks were.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ledecky gold and Sullivan of the USA with an amazing close and takes the silver!