• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Tokyo Olympics thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOLD in women's 64kg weightlifting for :canada:

/Now up to 8 medals

813a4d07-981e-4852-bcb6-4cdfb536075b_text.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Women's soccer quarter-final draw is set which is the following:

Sweden
Japan

GB
Australia

----------------

USA
Netherlands

Brazil
Canada

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible news about Biles. Feel bad for her. Seems like it was totally a mental issue and after the last year and a half, I can understand. But it's a shame we make such a big deal about the gold. It's a great accomplishment, but any medal is impressive. Hell, just being there puts you in absurdly elite company. 11,000 athletes out of 7+ billion people. That already puts you in top 0.0001% in the world.

You've done the hard work. Just go out and compete and have fun.

I was watching this weekend with a few people and we were talking about the difference between the skateboarders (who are out there high fiving each other regardless of country, smiling after mistakes, etc.) and the gymnasts (who look so jittery/nervous like their parents will disown them for a tiny mistake). It's a shame. If I have kids, I hope neither of them wants to get into gymnastics or at least approaches it with the right mindset.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a father who had a daughter in competitive gymnastics for 10 years, I can honestly say that gymnastic moms (and dads) are just as brutal as hockey moms.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kept hearing that a big reason to get the Olympics going was because it was unfair to the athletes to wait another year training and preparing after putting in so much work already but it seems like many of them are being hurt far more by the isolation and distance from family & support teams and making for an overall shitty games anyway so...

tenor.gif

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a father who had a daughter in competitive gymnastics for 10 years, I can honestly say that gymnastic moms (and dads) are just as brutal as hockey moms.
As a father who has kids in both competitive gymnastics and hockey im gonna say the gymnastics crowd is worse lol

just seems like the gymnastics crowd hasnt clued in that their little princess most likely wont be going to the olympics whereas even in rep hockey most parents (in the hockey association my kid is in at least) know their kid is probably going nowhere and the dads just want to meet up to drink lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and by the way … my daughter is taking on competitive trampoline in the fall so Ill report back to you all about the level of assholery in that sport soon !

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter took up competitive cheer after gymnastics and it's certainly a different dynamic. Cheerleading is also now an official Olympic sport and one that the States should dominate starting in Paris in 2024.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible news about Biles. Feel bad for her. Seems like it was totally a mental issue and after the last year and a half, I can understand. But it's a shame we make such a big deal about the gold. It's a great accomplishment, but any medal is impressive. Hell, just being there puts you in absurdly elite company. 11,000 athletes out of 7+ billion people. That already puts you in top 0.0001% in the world.

You've done the hard work. Just go out and compete and have fun.

I was watching this weekend with a few people and we were talking about the difference between the skateboarders (who are out there high fiving each other regardless of country, smiling after mistakes, etc.) and the gymnasts (who look so jittery/nervous like their parents will disown them for a tiny mistake). It's a shame. If I have kids, I hope neither of them wants to get into gymnastics or at least approaches it with the right mindset.
Its got to be really tough. You can win everything for years but if you do not win the Olympic events that's what people (some) remember. Its a lot of pressure for kids and young adults. Hopefully all is as well with her as it can be and she quickly moves past this.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter took up competitive cheer after gymnastics and it's certainly a different dynamic. Cheerleading is also now an official Olympic sport and one that the States should dominate starting in Paris in 2024.

This is going to reduce male athletic performance across the board. ;)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its got to be really tough. You can win everything for years but if you do not win the Olympic events that's what people (some) remember. Its a lot of pressure for kids and young adults. Hopefully all is as well with her as it can be and she quickly moves past this.
Biles is only a year out of going public with the larry nasser abuse she went through. In the 60 minutes interview she seemed to be putting on a happy face