• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: This is so freaking COOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a daughter in girl scouts I'd send her inside the pot shop to sell cookies. How many dispensaries have you been to that have a No Solicitation sign on their doors? Leaving her outside on the street to sell is somewhat unsafe and just bad parenting, imho.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PHD Comics: Gravitational Waves Explained

That's a pretty good description both of the General Theory of Relativity and of the experiment. The NY Times video also did a good job.

But what it means? It means we've made perhaps the most important observation in support of perhaps the most revolutionary scientific theory so far developed. I can't really adequately express the magnitude of this observation.

And the experiment. My God, what an elegant experiment.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PHD Comics: Gravitational Waves Explained

That's a pretty good description both of the General Theory of Relativity and of the experiment. The NY Times video also did a good job.

But what it means? It means we've made perhaps the most important observation in support of perhaps the most revolutionary scientific theory so far developed. I can't really adequately express the magnitude of this observation.

And the experiment. My God, what an elegant experiment.
I recall similar things being said about the discovery of the Higgs Boson? Which is more important? Which wins in a fight to the death - Higgs Boson or Gravitational Waves??

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall similar things being said about the discovery of the Higgs Boson? Which is more important? Which wins in a fight to the death - Higgs Boson or Gravitational Waves??

The Higgs discovery still hasn't found its home. It's a huge deal, of course, that it exists and was detected, but its actual meaning is as yet undecided. Fully characterizing the Higgs boson will be a big deal, but we're not there yet.

Both are massive discoveries which matter enormously, but for me the gravitational waves are a bigger deal, both for reason of already having a comfortable home in their theory, and for the fact that, given a carefully designed experiment (which is discussed in the NY Times video), they can also be used as another detection technique for studying the universe.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Status
Not open for further replies.