• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember details, but someone a while back took photos in an abandoned state hospital. That was interesting but a bit creepy.

was it this?
West Virginia’s Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum stands empty – but it’s filled with dark secrets

watching that program about the abandoned mental hospital made you realize how easy it was way back when to get someone institutionalized ... women got sent to "asylums" by their husbands for being lazy

(channeling my inner Ray Rice) oh the good old days !

:bolt:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are there so many abandoned asylums strewn about the country? When I first got my license one of the first things my friends and I did was visit an abandoned asylum out in west Jersey. My cousins in New York state and Massachusetts had similar experiences. Why don't they tear these things down? Is there some law regarding medical facilities being knocked down for health reasons or something?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are there so many abandoned asylums strewn about the country? When I first got my license one of the first things my friends and I did was visit an abandoned asylum out in west Jersey. My cousins in New York state and Massachusetts had similar experiences. Why don't they tear these things down? Is there some law regarding medical facilities being knocked down for health reasons or something?

I never did those, I did a bunch of old forts in my area.

LargeIMG_4192-731x548.jpg

3917183108_498eb69314.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're talking about abandoned buildings, Dry Tortugas Park off the Florida Keys is pretty neat. It's a tourist attraction now but it's technically an abandoned civil war fort. I visited it this winter. Well worth the boat ride.

gfasyzskcx35to86pdog.jpg

dry-tortugas-national-park.jpg

Phantomphan

Beta Tester
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was it this?
West Virginia’s Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum stands empty – but it’s filled with dark secrets

watching that program about the abandoned mental hospital made you realize how easy it was way back when to get someone institutionalized ... women got sent to "asylums" by their husbands for being lazy

(channeling my inner Ray Rice) oh the good old days !

:bolt:

Don't think it was a tv program but a photo essay. But, it was definitely along the same lines as this.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never did those, I did a bunch of old forts in my area.

LargeIMG_4192-731x548.jpg

3917183108_498eb69314.jpg

Have you ever been on Fort Carroll Comeds? I haven't been out there since the early 90's but it was pretty neat. Didn't take a camera.

Lot of "guard dogs", but perhaps they were just wild dogs. And lots of bird crap. I got up on the outer wall but didn't venture in very far.

They have to be careful with old buildings and asbestos. That's why the never tore down the old Ohio Reformatory (where they filmed Shawshank). It would have been more dangerous to tear it down than to leave it abandoned. Now they are restoring it as a landmark partly because it's been used in so many films and TV shows.

Abandoned | Ohio State Reformatory - Abandoned

I haven't taken the tour, but I've driven past. Incredible looking old building.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever been on Fort Carroll Comeds? I haven't been out there since the early 90's but it was pretty neat. Didn't take a camera.

Lot of "guard dogs", but perhaps they were just wild dogs. And lots of bird crap. I got up on the outer wall but didn't venture in very far.

Yeah I went in the early 90s. The only animals we saw were birds. There were signs about guard dogs and rats but we wandered around and saw none.

Longest small boat ride I ever took. From Chase to Ft. Carroll, never again. It was hours being bounced around.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're on the spooky abandoned kick: ever read up on Povelgia?

Strange Geographies: The Happy, Haunted Island of Poveglia | Mental Floss

It was once used as a quarantine island, well actually for many years it was. Place is basically built on bodies. Then there was a mental hospital run by a crazy man. Freaking sweet story. One of those you can't stop reading up on. Recommend doing some of the heavy digging in day light. Freaked me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.