• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Tennis thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bianca - Barty final on Saturday after last night's tremendous match against Sakkari.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bianca forced to retire with an ankle injury trailing 6-3 4-0 to Ash Barty. Hope it's nothing serious, but a heck of week of tennis for Bianca.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a shitty way to lose a final.

That same ankle was heavily taped prior to the start of today's match. Hopefully, it's nothing serious, but Bianca can't catch a break as far as injuries are concerned.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big day for Polish tennis as Hubert Hurkacz wins the first ever Masters 1000 tourney for that country defeating the young Italian kid Jannik Sinner in the final.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man, Bianca just tweeted out that she has tested positive for COVID-19 :(

/She did say she's feeling fine, but of course this forced her to withdraw from the Madrid WTA tourney.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jstewismybastardson , not sure if you're watching, but this is a terrific tennis match between Djokovic and Italian Lorenzo Sonego. Currently in the 3rd set.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonego played great, but Djoker was just too good today. Rafa vs. Novak in the Sunday final.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bianca just bowed out in Paris losing a tough match against Tamara Zidansek (9-7 in set 3 after splitting two tie-breaks).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the one hand, I don't think there's a sports media out there that asks dumber questions than tennis media. Maybe limiting the number of questions players have to take early on is the way to go here.

On the flip, attributing this to a mental health issue is a stretch. Losing in a match would likely do 1000x the mental health damage to a dedicated professional than one dumb question from a reporter and she is going to lose matches at some point that make her hate life. If this isn't something she can handle she needs to take a step back and focus on her before continuing in such a spotlight.

Media engagement is important in sports. It helps keep the money coming in. That money may not shrink much for the superstars of the game like herself but it means the world to players just trying to compete, to win a round or two to get money to pay their coaches and trainers which comes from their own pockets.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
On the one hand, I don't think there's a sports media out there that asks dumber questions than tennis media. Maybe limiting the number of questions players have to take early on is the way to go here.

On the flip, attributing this to a mental health issue is a stretch. Losing in a match would likely do 1000x the mental health damage to a dedicated professional than one dumb question from a reporter and she is going to lose matches at some point that make her hate life. If this isn't something she can handle she needs to take a step back and focus on her before continuing in such a spotlight.

Media engagement is important in sports. It helps keep the money coming in. That money may not shrink much for the superstars of the game like herself but it means the world to players just trying to compete, to win a round or two to get money to pay their coaches and trainers which comes from their own pockets.

hopefully this starts a movement to have tennis reporters stop asking really really stupid fucking questions
i've heard pretty offensive shit from british, french and australian reporters - not sure if there are others.
"great match, can you tell me if you would like to date justin bieber?"
"congrats on the win, can you tell us about your outfit?"
"boy that was a tough loss, can you tell me about Serena Williams' outfit?"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on this one, on the one hand, the press does have a job to do and I think every tennis player knows it's part of the job, but as both BBB and puck have said above, they do ask some of the worst/dumbest questions imaginable. Also, who am I to judge what may be causing mental stress/anguish for another person? One thing I'm pretty confident of is that bullying someone by fining them and threatening to default them from the tournament is not the answer.

Edit: Naomi has withdrawn, well that stinks.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if Serena loses later today, you could have Bianca, Naomi, and Serena out of the ladies draw.