• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Tennis thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berrettini just hit a shot that will be on all the highlight shows tonight.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, Pospisil's level of tennis has remained high for this entire match aside from the first set tie-breaker. Pretty remarkable considering he really hasn't played all that much tennis in the last month (or last 5+months).

He played well in that Davis Cup final last year and that was really out of nowhere given back surgery.

He played very well today.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looked like a great shot but horrible camera work lol

Better:

I was trying to pull up a tweet from US Open tennis, but it said "The video is not available from your location"

/It says US Open, but it's closed to anyone outside the US lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felix takes on Murray later today and Shapo gets the Ashe treatment on Friday...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a concern five, maybe three years ago, but he moves a lot better than he used to. Also, his backhand is much improved from what it used to be. The biggest concern with Milos is the ability to stay healthy.
His best tennis was 3-5 years ago though - he hasn't gotten past a GS QF since 2016 and it's not like he's getting knocked out by the Big 4 only these days as today showed.

It's funny, you talk to people who aren't Canadians who are tennis fans and they are very complimentary of Milos, maybe it's a Canadian thing where we tend to eat our own :noidea:
I think it's in the middle - some Canadians (not that it's limited to Canadians, other nationalities do this as well) will hype people the hell up when it's unearned while others will shit on them for no reason.

Personally, if they're talented cool and it's fun to see but I cheer more in individual sports for players whose talents I enjoy than where they were born.

I think it's way worse when it comes to team sports - media linking Canadian born players with the Raptors or Jays based solely on their nationalities. There was a horseshit rumour that the Raps were "considering trading Siakam for Wiggins so they had a hometown name". Fucker Siakam is more beloved in this country than 98% of other athletes currently playing here why the hell would they even think about trading him for Demar 2.0 lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best tennis was 3-5 years ago though - he hasn't gotten past a GS QF since 2016 and it's not like he's getting knocked out by the Big 4 only these days as today showed.

He did have a great 2016, no argument there, but I would argue overall that his game right now is much better than it was in 2016. What really hurt him today was his serve (11 double faults is unheard of for Milos). He might make one a set, but that's usually it. Vasek did play a whale of a match today though and was full credit for the victory.

/I know it's the cruelty of sports, but if he beats Murray in 2016 in the Wimbledon final, he would be held in a totally different light.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/I know it's the cruelty of sports, but if he beats Murray in 2016 in the Wimbledon final, he would be held in a totally different light.
Well yeah - shall we discuss Mike Weir again? :D

Bianca is perfect though and is going to win 20 slams and I will hear no talk otherwise.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already got Dash mad at me so I'll say naught about the winsome one.

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate, it does get a little annoying when verifiable facts are dismissed. Does Milos have an attractive tennis game? No, but he's put together a pretty solid career (bordering on great) and in my opinion is still a threat to win a grand slam. Biggest on-going issue is his health.

/Put it this way, there are a lot of players thanking Vasek for taking Milos out of their section of the draw earlier today.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with a healthy debate, it does get a little annoying when verifiable facts are dismissed. Does Milos have an attractive tennis game? No, but he's put together a pretty solid career (bordering on great) and in my opinion is still a threat to win a grand slam. Biggest on-going issue is his health.

/Put it this way, there are a lot of players thanking Vasek for taking Milos out of their section of the draw earlier today.

I get it, I get it, I'm being irrational and obtuse. I do that sometimes.

I don't really debate, I just say. Nobody agrees, all good. I'm not trying to convince anybody.

And I'd never say that his health isn't an issue. But he got out scampered today.

Vasek will be a tough out if folks aren't taking him seriously.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(he's now a Justice to the Court of Queen's Bench in Alberta, fwiw)
LOL imagine having to appear and your presiding judge is a guy who did this regularly:

blood-flies-as-heavyweight-willie-dewit-punches-andrew-stoke.jpeg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felix up a break in the opening set over Andy Murray.