• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The person doing the battery doesn't need to know it's offensive - he just needs to know that he's doing the touching. The touching has to be offensive, so that's why that's there. Otherwise, a tap on the shoulder would be bad because the actor knows he's touching the person, but here the act is not offensive.

To determine if the act is offensive, a reasonable person standard is applied - where if the actor would know that a reasonable person would be offended - as determined by the jury, then there that element of the crime is satisfied. Punching a stranger for wearing brown glasses instead of black is something a reasonable person would find offensive. Catching a fainting person where you happen to bump into a private area, would probably not. (I can't imagine someone intending on being somewhere knowing someone would faint and taking advantage.)

Sometimes, the circumstances of the actor is factored in - for example, a mentally challenged person might not know that he's touching or could reasonably, given his circumstances, think that it wasn't offensive - like a hug in the wrong place. Intent is also factored in, for if someone genuinely falls into the wrong place on another's body and there are charges filed, the fact that he fell could be used as a defense against intent. The jury has to believe him, of course. I haven't looked this up, but consent would negate the offensiveness of the touching, but good luck to the actor proving that if the victim's is pressing charges.

Putting your hand out on a pole in a bus or something right where a woman's chest is would be an example of an action that "the actor intends or knows that his action will cause the offensive touching." In other words, this is not just fighting, punching, etc. It would be harder to prove he knew this, but a jury may find it obvious depending upon the circumstances. Having a seizure, there's no intent or knowledge of the touching. In a circumstance where he thinks, and the jury believes, that his feet under the table is leaning against the table leg, when it really was the stranger's legs, that might not qualify as intent or knowledge. If the woman reports rubbing up and down, the jury probably won't believe him. He doesn't need to know that playing footsie with a stranger is offensive.
Did you and I come to a consensus on whether the way George chased after Mary in "It's A Wonderful Life' was assault and battery?

Is George chasing her and grabbing her, trying to convince her that she knows him, something that the reasonable person standard would find offensive, for battery?

Also, Will Smith did assault and battery yesterday.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you and I come to a consensus on whether the way George chased after Mary in "It's A Wonderful Life' was assault and battery?

Is George chasing her and grabbing her, trying to convince her that she knows him, something that the reasonable person standard would find offensive, for battery?

Also, Will Smith did assault and battery yesterday.

I think that he would be found to be mentally insane and therefore not guilty. Just kidding. I do think it would be hard for them to even try to convict. I’m talking about the Wonderful Life one.

My wife asked me if I would do the same thing as Will Smith and I feel like that answer is not a fair one. I wouldn’t because I would get charged. I’m not a famous person who if the victim charged wouldn’t get something he doesn’t already have (money), if the victim charges is known to have filed against him, etc. I would be a nobody who did control his temper (in defense of loved one). I also recognize that I wouldn’t be famously in trouble either so there’s that as an advantage.

I have read several comments about the incident ranging from people asking for more representation of different races to than have this happen. I see that as bait. Then, I’ve seen arguments that will smith didn’t punch person cheddar cheated with on him but slapped Chris Rock for a joke.

Turning this to sports it reminds players that if they want to get revenge on somebody they must do it at the time of the offense. If Will Smith went out of this way somewhere else to punch Chris Rock or slap him, I think that there would be charges or at least more likely. People say everyone fakes the tough guy in sports while teammates “hold them back.”

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he would be found to be mentally insane and therefore not guilty. Just kidding. I do think it would be hard for them to even try to convict. I’m talking about the Wonderful Life one.
So it's legally ok to go up to someone you think you know, violently shake them several times, and say "you know me!"?

Isn't that at least assault, if not battery?

Why would it be so hard for them to get a conviction?

What happened to the elementary school rule, "keep your hands to yourself?"

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read several comments about the incident ranging from people asking for more representation of different races to than have this happen. I see that as bait. Then, I’ve seen arguments that will smith didn’t punch person cheddar cheated with on him but slapped Chris Rock for a joke.
You should really submit your usages of voice to text, to show the developers how inaccurate it is, at times.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's legally ok to go up to someone you think you know, violently shake them several times, and say "you know me!"?

Isn't that at least assault, if not battery?

Why would it be so hard for them to get a conviction?

What happened to the elementary school rule, "keep your hands to yourself?"

It would be hard to get a conviction because they’re fictional characters.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hard to get a conviction because they’re fictional characters.
If this was the real world, would George get convicted?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Rock also made a joke about Jada in 2016 too:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I liked about "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" was that it had a good plot.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, on the other hand, was more like a movie with comedic scenes with a loose plot intertwining them.

Is this the movie that has a bedroom scene between John Candy and Steve Martin? Where they are sharing a bed.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top Gun: Maverick:

I thought this was even better than the first movie, in two ways.

1) You can see the faces of the pilots a lot better. In the first movie, I had a hard time telling who was who, because most of the face was covered.

Is it less authentic? Maybe, I don't know what a modern fighter pilot helmet looks like.

2) I forgot what the other thing was. Maybe it was that the romance plot felt more integrated?

It felt like a distraction, in the first movie.

Jurassic World Dominion:

I liked it more than the previous movie. Decent enough.

The Black Phone:

I liked it.

Nope:

I thought they were going to do more with this movie, when it began. In the end, it seemed a bit simplistic and dumb.

Spoiler Alert:

It was ok.

The special effects were great. I watched it in Dolby 3D.

The characters were boring. Every one was obvious and predictable.

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish:

This was great. Is this movie considered a comedy? How do you describe a movie where there's a decent amount of jokes for adults too?

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish > Avatar: The Way Of Water.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knock At The Cabin:

My first M. Night Shyamalan movie in a theater, and first of his I've seen since Unbreakable.

It was really good.

Creed III:

The first two were better. This was somewhat predictable, with what was going to happen. It also seemed over-dramatic at times.

Moving On:

Great funny movie. Stars Jane Fonda.

A Good Person:

Good performance of a person with an addiction. Stars Morgan Freeman.

Very good movie.

Super Mario Brothers:

Saw it in 4DX. (3D, motion seats, and environmental effects.)

Good movie. Good special effects. The motion seats are very forceful. The person in front of me looked like he was going to spill his beer, several times.

Cons:

* Luigi spent too much of the movie trapped in a cage. Can't have one of your main characters out of action for that long.
* No 1-UP in the movie.
* No POW block in the movie.

Another Round:

Good movie. It turned dark very fast.

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

I read the book when I was little.

I think this followed the book very closely. Well done.

Parasite:

Haven't really seen other movies like it. Good movie on social class. Interesting how many USA references there were in this movie.

Don't think it's a movie of the year type movie, but it's pretty good.

Blackberry:

There's so many inaccuracies with the movie, as noted above.

My biggest ones are the way they depicted Research In Motion. They depicted the engineers like they were a bunch of 15 year olds who play video games all day, during working hours, and have movie nights.

In real life, it would be hard to get any group of more than 4 people to agree on a movie.

And, to be a successful innovative company, that also sells a lot of product, it takes smart, dedicated engineers, who have a passion for testing; making sure their product is polished; etc.

They wouldn't be like they were depicted in the movie.

And as the link states, RIM wasn't really like a start-up as depicted.

It was still an entertaining movie. I wish they didn't embellish and make things up as much as they did.

You Hurt My Feelings

Great funny movie. Stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Sanctuary

Don't think I've seen a movie before with only two characters in the whole movie.

It was ok.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About My Father:

Decent movie. Stars Robert DeNiro.

The Little Mermaid:

The kids that it was for, liked it.

I liked it too. I was impressed how they had scenes that had CG underwater, then turned into live action above water. Especially when the bird flawlessly goes from CG underwater, to live action above water.

They also gave Eric a background; gave a story about Ariel's mother; and showed more similarities between Ariel and Eric's personalities.

I thought the 1989 movie was great, but this was even better. This movie was 52 minutes longer, and I think the expanded character development helped.

There were other smaller changes, and I think I liked most of them too.

Marlowe (2023):

It was a little hard to follow the plot, and how everything was connected, at times. Not very hard, but I did need to pause and think, a few times.

That's probably expected, for a detective movie. It can't be too easy.

If you think you'll like it, you probably will. I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but one that someone who likes these types of movies, will probably enjoy.

Polite Society:

I liked it. Haven't really seen a funny international movie like this before.

Do you think Eunice Huthart should have been seen, and not just heard?

Plane:

This movie is a great action disaster movie. Not sure why it was only in theaters for about 2 weeks. One of the best action movies I've seen in a long time.

I rented this one from the library.

A Man Called Otto:

It's been a long time since multiple adult members of my family all enjoyed a movie. Usually someone has a differing level of enjoyment.

The movie does have a dark theme to it, so watch when in the appropriate mood.

Past Lives:

When I saw the trailers, I wasn't sure how good it would really be. It was more complex than a trailer made it seem.

Great movie.

Question:

Why do you think Nora cries at the end? What's your interpretation?
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

I saw it in 4DX. You can feel the seats sway during car chase scenes. And there's even subtle swaying during other scenes with light motion.

This is the right movie for this type of format.

They even sprayed some scents during a party scene.

As for the plot, it felt like there were less surprises than some of the other movies. The action scenes were good. But there weren't enough plot twists.

I think the best Mission Impossibles have been 1, 3, 5.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s probably a Scientology thing.

For some reason, this reminded me that I still haven't watched the John Collins video you posted. I will try to watch a bunch of stuff, with the sound on, soon.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I currently have 28,933 Regal points.

6,970 of them expire on April 13, 2024.

Should I use my points on the Ultimate TMNT Lair sweepstakes? Each entry is 100 points, and they allow 3 entries per day.

August 25 is the last day.

That's 17 days away, plus I can do 2 more entries today. 17*3 + 2 = 53 entries. I'd be using 5300 points.

The retail value of the prize pack is $4,995, so I'd be getting a ton of stuff.

Other things I can use the Regal points for are concessions. Or $18,000 on a standard movie ticket. Those don't really interest me.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will update this thread sometime. And I hope @MHSL82 posts comments on movies he's also seen. Like he does in other movie threads.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny:

I didn't like it that much.

I remember liking the Crystal Skull more.

I didn't like the plot.

I think one thing that I felt was that in the other movies, Indiana Jones appeared smart. He was able to find clues, or figure things out, to lead to the next step.

In this one, he didn't use his smarts as often.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem:​

When I heard there was another Ninja Turtles reboot, I was disappointed. They already had one in 2007, then another one in 2014.

I wanted them to stick with one set of actors, and animation style, so we could get continuity.

This new movie was great. I think having an animated style lets them do more things than they could if it were live action.

The writing was also great. They had jokes that they would call back on, later in the movie.

They should stick with this format and actors.

I saw it in 3D 4DX.

Oppenheimer:

The movie was a lot of dialogue. Mostly dialogue. I was thinking there would be more dramatic visuals.

There was too much dialogue.

And I think too much underscore music. I think more silence, at times, could have been beneficial.

It was an interesting story, about stuff I never knew about before. And some of the dramatic parts were good.

The Meg:

Great movie. Plot, action, and characters were good.

Meg 2: The Trench:

I liked how they had some call backs to the first movie. Good movie. I think the storytelling of the first was better.

I was also disappointed one of the characters wasn't in this movie.

Barbie:

This movie really isn't for kids. The concepts they talk about are too complicated. I also didn't like how most of the movie was spent on messaging.

I think they could have gotten similar messaging, with more humor.

The fantasy world also felt like it was just there, and a bit under utilized. Or I felt they could have done something more with it.

A Haunting In Venice:

I could not get into the setting or style of the movie.

The Equalizer:

Great movie and story telling.

The Equalizer 2:

Denzel Washington had never made a sequel before. This is the first time he did.

The characters in this movie had more of a personal connection with his character.

Good movie. I didn't like what happened to one of the characters.

The Equalizer 3:

Another good edition of this series. In this movie, he's a little bit more out in the open, instead of doing things in more secluded areas.

Next Goal Wins:

This was a "Screen Unseen" movie, where they don't tell you the title in advance. They just say it's going to be a movie that hasn't been released.

I thought I was going to watch some rare movie that never made it to the theaters before. Instead, it was just an early showing of an upcoming movie, before it's official release date.

The movie was ok.

Ford v Ferrari:

Pretty good movie about the Ford company.

Wonka:

I had never read the books or seen the other movies.

This was great. I didn't know it would be a musical. The animation and little details in the writing were great.

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory:

This movie made me appreciate both movies. I could see some of the similarities in the look, and see some similar jokes.

This movie was darker than I would have thought. But, I think kids could also understand the consequences.

I finally understood a lot of references to sounds from this movie, that I didn't know were from this movie.

Good movie.

Freud's Last Session:

I liked the style of the movie. I didn't know until the credits rolled that I had watched an Anthony Hopkins movie.

Memory:

I liked the characters and plot of the movie.

Great movie.

Poor Things:

This type of overall concept has been done before. But this was pretty good in telling this story. The characters were distinct, with their actions and concepts. Saw some stuff I hadn't seen before.

All Of Us Strangers:

The movie was deliberately slow and moody. I didn't like it.

Ferrari:

This movie wasn't really about cars, it was more like a drama. I wish it had been more about cars.

Perfect Days:

Great character driven movie. Really enjoyed the setting, and living the life of someone I hadn't thought about before.

Killers Of The Flower Moon:

The movie was fine. Good in what it wanted to accomplish.

Dune (2021):

I had never read the book or seen any other movies. It could understand the basics of it. But there was a lot of new terminology introduced that made it hard to follow at times. I think they assumed people knew the basics of this universe, which I did not.

Dune: Part Two:

Some parts were easier to follow now, and I think they explained why things were happening better.

Another movie with good visuals. Stunts were probably better in this one too.